Author Topic: Possible northern camping weekend (split from Wantage thread)  (Read 4380 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Possible northern camping weekend (split from Wantage thread)
« on: 21 August, 2018, 04:22:51 am »
It is perhaps a bit too far for those of us who are oop north..... 

So I think we should get off our arses & organise something up here....    I've been on multiple weekends organised by forum friends but have never arranged one myself :-[   That's an early New Years Resolution then... :facepalm:

Silverdale has been mentioned,  there are some nice places within an easy-ish ride of Preston or Lancaster (Dent   an easy-ish ride?).   

My Bold.

Being,around, 11 miles from the Silverdale site, I'd be quite happy to do some research on organising a weekend there. I did one, small meet, for the Fell Club at that site some years ago. Silverdale and Arnside is a nice area to walk or ride. A few decent Pub's within easy reach. Nearest small towns are Mlnthorpe (about 7 miles) and Carnforth (4 - 5 miles). 15 miles, or so, will get you to Kendal in the North and the same distance South is Lancaster, or Morecambe.
Lancaster's on the Western Main line for trains, quite a few also stop at Carnforth, Nearest station.
Anybody give me some "Favoured Dates" and what sort of rides they would like plans for, I'll start having a look.

You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
Re: Possible northern camping weekend (split from Wantage thread)
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
On from the above.
I'm happy to look into other possible locations in the area. I think that Mcshroom is further North and might know a few sites around Keswick. There is a Lovely site at Dent, mentioned in the other thread, that I did a Christmas week camp (in the snow) about 10 years ago. It's a very tidy site but... Dent is at the top of Much Big Hilliness!
I could look East, I think there might be places near Clapham and Ingleton. There's a Wonderful National Trust site at Low Wray, borders onto Lake Windermere, but I think that's only open until mid September.
Torslanda might know of a C+CC site that I used on my way over to Chesterfield a few years back. South of Blackburn, around Rochdale/Oldham but in the hills. I could see the M62 a few miles to the South. Any thoughts or ideas, I'm happy to look into for this year, or maybe early in 2019.
One, very important, thing to be wary of.... There's Always Blackpool!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2018, 06:10:22 pm »
I am interested depending upon dates  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:22:18 pm »
Is it Hollingworth Lake? Just above Littleborough & visible from Rakewood viaduct.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:49:27 am »
Is it Hollingworth Lake? Just above Littleborough & visible from Rakewood viaduct.

That sounds right, pretty certain in fact. Don't know anything about the area around it, we arrived at "Gerrin' a bit dark" O' clock and left early for the ride over to Glossop. Rough camped, much BEER, and then on to Dronfield. 

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:14:22 am »
You tell us where and when and we'll rock up with some bikes and a tent if we're free.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:31:03 pm »
M'kay. This year, do't want to clash with other stuff, or next?
I assume,if later this year, due to shorter daylight hours and weather changes, people would want to be nearer to Facilities.
If next year I can scout wider.
15th September is Wantage, 21st September, Kim mentioned FNRTTC and racing, is maybe too close to the Wantage run. So, Who would be up for the 8th September in Civilised Lands? I can look as far south as Clitheroe/Preston, East as far as Ingleton, maybe even to Settle and as far North and North West as Cumbria/Lake district/Carlisle.

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »
Sept is out for me. Watching with inerest.  Camping after October does not appeal. Hostelling does tho but.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:49:15 pm »
Back in Dumfries looking for a new home. Will be great to take part instead of reading about it. 😉

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:54:32 pm »
Clapham has been refurbished and was a popular venue a year or three back.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:38:19 pm »
I can check out the Hostel near Clapham, I think they allow camping there too? There's a "Camping Barn" somewhere in that area too. Not sure about access for Non-Moty Parp people, only trains near there are on the Leeds/Morecambe line and Leeds, Bradford or Lancaster are, I think, the nearest main line stations. I'll have a wander over there, this coming weekend, and take a nosey, if that sounds a good one for a few people. I'm quite happy to sort out a do based on Polar Bear's original idea of Gibraltar Farm in Silverdale. Easy access by car or train and within a few miles of decent facilities.

Windy, what about the farm near Dumfries, the KM Rally camping site? I know they have Pods as well as camping and, back in 2007 I was happy with the site itself. Maybe you could have a look into that and pm me the details, if you don't want to set it up yourself. I'm happy to camp or Hostel any time of the year.

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:17:31 pm »
Slightly less Northern ,    These would be accessible from Liverpool / Chester  Stafford , Crewe(?) & Birmingham.

I was looking at the reviews for this place near Oswestry , then spotted that they don't allow children  >:(  https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9350   other than that it sounds good, a campsite run by a pub that does good food.

Sytche at Much Wenlock.  I stayed here one night on my way to another YACF meet up & it was OK.  Might be worth revisiting, https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5296

One to check ?
https://www.unicornhamptonloade.co.uk/caravan-camp-site-bridgnorth/   
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=1&revid=6791

Church House , Melverley.  Stayed here twice & it's a nice spot.  Lovely countryside but you'd need to ride to the nearest pub.  Apparently there is a local Indian restaurant that will do deliveries.
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9717
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2018, 03:50:40 pm »
Salop sure is pretty.

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2018, 06:56:55 pm »
For 16 years I lived one mile away from Church House campsite.

There was a nice campsite behind a pub just up the lane from Melverley called the Royal Hill Tavern. Not been past there for a long time so don't know if it is still in use. When I am in that area I camp at Llansanffraid at a friends campsite.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2018, 07:50:36 pm »
It's the first link in my post , the one that allows dogs but not small people ??

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SHR/4791/royal-hill-inn-edgerley
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2018, 12:40:55 pm »
See New thread "Lancaster Camping"

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 01 September, 2018, 12:07:26 am »
I can check out the Hostel near Clapham, I think they allow camping there too? There's a "Camping Barn" somewhere in that area too. Not sure about access for Non-Moty Parp people, only trains near there are on the Leeds/Morecambe line and Leeds, Bradford or Lancaster are, I think, the nearest main line stations. I'll have a wander over there, this coming weekend, and take a nosey, if that sounds a good one for a few people. I'm quite happy to sort out a do based on Polar Bear's original idea of Gibraltar Farm in Silverdale. Easy access by car or train and within a few miles of decent facilities.

Windy, what about the farm near Dumfries, the KM Rally camping site? I know they have Pods as well as camping and, back in 2007 I was happy with the site itself. Maybe you could have a look into that and pm me the details, if you don't want to set it up yourself. I'm happy to camp or Hostel any time of the year.

When I relocate will check it out for future meets