Author Topic: Adding reflective material to club jersey  (Read 1608 times)

Adding reflective material to club jersey
« on: 25 September, 2018, 04:21:51 pm »
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this type of thing?

A bit of background to this request first,spent many months last year trying to please as many folks as possible with a new club kit design.Final winner was a top that was mostly black with red on the upper part (so from behind with the rider over the bars all looks black -black seems to be the in colour at the moment hence the choice).

A few have expressed concern about lack of visibility and rather than attempt another redesign (just yet) was wondering about the possibility of adding a reflective strip to the rear of the jersey and at least making it look like a professional job?

Any thought/suggestions from the community?

Cheers
Robert

sib

Re: Adding reflective material to club jersey
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2018, 04:38:56 pm »
My club jerseys have reflective tape in the waistband and on top of the rear pockets - maybe you can add to the kit design next time.
Mean time how about https://indigo.co/Item/iron-on-reflective-tape-50mm-10m?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87Sp-73W3QIVQZztCh235wCsEAQYASABEgJ76vD_BwE ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2018, 05:44:52 pm »
I've got jerseys with bits of reflective on the back, around the pockets, but I don't think they achieve much.  If it's a vaguely aero drop-bar riding position, you don't actually have a whole lot of back visible when riding along, although admittedly more than you do on a recumbent seat.

I reckon reflective stuff is most effective on the rider's legs, as they're down in the beam of headlights, and moving in a distinctive way.  Putting some on the arms makes sense, if only because you stick them out to indicate.  Putting it on the bike makes even more sense, because it then doesn't matter what you wear.

I don't think any of it makes you appreciably safer, so wouldn't worry about it.

On a practical level, jersey material tends to be a bit more stretchy than Scotchlite tape, so you'll have to account for that when adding it.  You can't just sew a big strip on and expect it not to mess things up.  Top edge of the pockets it probably your best bet, and I suspect best results will come from tabs secured by a single seam.

Machine-sewing the jersey material shouldn't be too difficult.  Scotchlite on the other hand can be a bit awkward, especially if it's more than one layer thick: Anticipate a bit of experimentation with tension and needle size to get the best results.

Not sure about the iron-on stuff - depends how happy the jersey is with being ironed.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
can anybody recommend a durable and stretchy reflective tape, the one that can be found stitched into the shorts (it's usually double sided)? most tapes start to lose their reflectivity after several washes - the reflective coating just rubs off.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:06:49 pm »
Mean time how about https://indigo.co/Item/iron-on-reflective-tape-50mm-10m?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87Sp-73W3QIVQZztCh235wCsEAQYASABEgJ76vD_BwE ?

Some of this ironed on to a piece of cloth could be stitched to the bottom of the jersey like a rain jacket arse flap?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:20:33 pm »
When it comes to club kit, my only suggestions are:

1. Give up trying to please everyone;
2. Remind people that other items of clothing are available.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:33:33 pm »
Or get your (next lot of) club kit made by someone like Force GB, who put reflective tape on the sides of their jersey pockets.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:47:54 pm »
Or put the reflective stuff on the bike instead e.g. the seat post or seat stays (my helmet also came with reflective  bits), then you can rotate different kit and still have the shiny factor.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:51:29 pm »
Don't forget that in conditions when it would be really useful - at night, in pouring rain and poor visibility - there is a very real chance that you will have another layer over the top of your jersey which will kill all your efforts to be more visible. On the sleeves will at least allow sleeveless layers and still be visible.

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:23:05 pm »
Or get your (next lot of) club kit made by someone like Force GB, who put reflective tape on the sides of their jersey pockets.

In fairness, whilst I like Force GB kit, the reflectivity is negligible. It’s probably less than 3 square cms, I’d not rely on that.