Author Topic: Saddles - where can I get expert advice?  (Read 1679 times)

Saddles - where can I get expert advice?
« on: 05 October, 2018, 05:13:02 pm »
In summary, I'm seeking to consult an expert who understands the demands of rides like the Tour Divide and 1000km+ Audax rides, and can guide my choice of saddle.

My saddle of choice over the past few years has been the Specialized Romin Pro and Romin Evo. This is a light saddle, circa 200g, and has served me well on rides up to LEL distance. However, it doesn't provide much comfort when off-road.

I have dabbled with a Brookes Cambium C15 Carved, but I don't get on with it. I've had sores even after a leisurely 200km ride.

I have looked at the Selle Royal range, but decided that trying to determine a suitable saddle to try from their range would be a bit hit and miss. So it feels like an opportune time to actually talk to an expert, and get some guidance on a suitable saddle.

So any advice on where such an expert might exist, either in London or via a phone call, would be appreciated. Or should I take an alternative approach?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Re: Saddles - where can I get expert advice?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2018, 06:12:52 pm »
Find people who do the same sort of rides you do....online I guess. There must be an online community for these riders

e.g....http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing/tour-divide-2017-race-discussion-thread

Saddles are a very personal thing, however.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »
I've toyed with the idea of booking in to see the chap in South London who does bike fits with a saddle pressure map and I am also toying with one of them Infinity skeleton type seats though I wonder much the same about it's off-road qualities.

I'm enjoying my B17 again at the moment, but could do with some undercarriage airflow on it but I am nervous about taking a knife to it... I'm in the process of breaking in a Spa Ti Aire which seems to be coming along nicely but I think it might still be a bit to narrow for me.

Interested on how you get on!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2018, 06:59:56 pm »
If you are anywhere near Worcester I would happily loan you a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow saddle which I know is used by some off road cyclists and maybe the answer for you. I use one on the road and find it comfortable as the gel padding is not too thick and the saddle is quite light.

Also I do have for sale a Rivet Pearl Saddle it has done less than 100 miles but I cannot get on with it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »
Thanks Hot Flatus, jiberjaber and bikepacker for your thoughts.

Unfortunately I'm quite some way from Worcester, but thank you for the saddle loan offer.

The bikepacking website has been a good source of information for other things, so indeed I shall have a trawl for saddle related content.

That infinity range of saddles looks very interesting, and seemingly working well for ultra distance riders. Expensive, albeit you can return it if it doesn't work out ... less a restocking fee, postage and import duties/tax. 

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2018, 07:53:54 pm »
for a (modern) saddle that works for someone else  to be very likely to work for you, they would have to have the same sit-bone positions, a similar musculature, a similar build, and a similar riding position/technique.    Knowing all these things is difficult, hence as commented above 'saddles are very personal things'.

BTW if you get (or already have) saddle sores, no amount of fiddling around with saddle shape will solve the problem, only make it less bad in some ways. Infections arising can be so persistent and difficult to clear up that you may need a whole different cleanliness regime and broad spectrum antibiotics to sort it out. Saddle sores have been known to practically end the careers of professional cyclists; sometimes time off the bike (or riding a recumbent) is the only thing that fixes it.

Old fashioned (leather topped, eg Brooks, GB, etc) saddles work by 'breaking in' and shaping to your backside. Modern saddles (made of synthetic materials) tend not to do that (quickly) to any appreciable degree.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »
A few of the fancier bike shops in London have saddle libraries / test services and can do fittings and advice. London Bike Kitchen and Condor off the top of my head.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:51:11 pm »
Most people like a Charge Spoon, and it is cheap enough to try and desirable enough to sell on easily if you don't like it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Samuel D

« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2018, 10:13:44 am »
Most people like a Charge Spoon, and it is cheap enough to try and desirable enough to sell on easily if you don't like it.

But it was pretty terrible for me, being soft and therefore applying intolerable pressure to non-sitting parts in a low-torso riding position.

Same for the Knife.

« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2018, 12:06:51 pm »

But it was pretty terrible for me, being soft and therefore applying intolerable pressure to non-sitting parts in a low-torso riding position.

Same for the Knife.

Which I think pretty much confirms that a systematic approach cannot cope with the uniqueness of individual physiology. I see no viable alternative to trial and error.

Good luck

A