Author Topic: Reflective soft shell performance kit  (Read 7954 times)

Re: Reflective soft shell performance kit
« Reply #50 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:06:49 pm »
I also have an orange one for confounding those who think they can only be green fluo.
Or for looking like a railway worker rather than a construction worker? Interesting that you call the other colour green fluo; to me it looks yellow, not green. Aren't colours, and our perception of them, weird?

Might be more yellow than green or me going yellow green colour blind. There are in fact three colours as I remember it in the european norme, yellow, green and orange, all of which should be acceptable but in France the most common colour becomes the de facto norme to the extent that all the others become considered unacceptable. Now who was talking about following the herd?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:08:09 pm »
Yes there is green fluoro and also blue but yellow is by far the most common. In UK at least, actual green could be the most common in France.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ben T

« Reply #52 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:42:39 pm »
Well there's a disparity then between (women's) jerseys and (men's) (or unisex) jackets because i can't seem to find a high quality packable waterproof that isn't black. If you can find one please let me know. I would be happy with a pink one.  :)
Does this count?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-squadra-er-jacket-aw17/rp-prod160648?gs=1&sku=sku591618&pgrid=60711843298&ptaid=pla-426714785951&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sfWueJBpa_dc|pcrid|294922111664|pkw||pmt||prd|591618UK

Yeah, I guess it does.
I've actually got one similar to that, but I also want one that's just got a little bit more weight/warmth, but not too much more. And still has a stuff sack, and all the other attributes. If that's not too much to ask!  :D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 19 October, 2018, 03:01:59 pm »
As one who lives and rides in France I find nothing unreasonable about wearing hi-viz clothing outside built-up areas after dark. Most cycle-tourists were already doing it before the law came along.

As someone who doesn't live in France, and now tries to avoid doing so where possible. I find anything that discourages cycling is a Bad Thing™. Needing hivi to cycle on a road outside a built up area suggests that the relationship between road users has fundamentally broken down. If the only way a motorist can see a rider is if they are reflecting on their body, rather than just the rear light, pedal, & rear reflector, then they should perhaps slow the fsck down. I say that as someone who used to drive for a living.

I also feel that making a cyclist wear hivi is just victim blaming, plain and simple.

The benefits to society of cycling so far outway any cost from any perceived extra risk to cyclists, that measures like hivi, like helmets, like number plates etc... how ever well intended will *ALWAYS* reduce the number of people cycling.

Cycling needs to be as easy as walking, and nothing should stop that.

I also find nothing unreasonable about not having distracting noises in your ears. I see enough numpties walking and driving like that and forgetting the existence of the rest of the world while they do it (although a lot less cyclists and they are mainly the ones in the "cité" around me who also haven't heard about using lights and being seen after dark!).
As an aside I used to be a despatch rider with a 2-way radio and helmet-mounted headphones and mic. In probably more than 200k miles it only put me in an accident situation once - but then you only need to die once, that is usually enough for most mortals.

I've cycled thousands of km with headphones on, it isn't an issue for me. Banning headphones for cyclists is yet more victim blaming, and completely ignores the fact that motorists can drive round with music blaring, the windows closes, and are just fine. Whilst I can't even ride along listening to The Guilty Feminist at a volume where I can still hear the traffic around me.

You choose not to wear headphones. I choose to wear headphones. The law in France removes that choice for me. I consider this a Bad Thing™.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #54 on: 20 October, 2018, 09:41:35 am »
It's some foucaultian shit where the death cager lobby preoccupies itself with imposing controls on anyone on a bike. No headphones. Wear a hard hat. Dress how we tell you. Fuck these people and their discipline and punish bullshit.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Ben T

« Reply #55 on: 20 October, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
As one who lives and rides in France I find nothing unreasonable about wearing hi-viz clothing outside built-up areas after dark. Most cycle-tourists were already doing it before the law came along.

As someone who doesn't live in France, and now tries to avoid doing so where possible. I find anything that discourages cycling is a Bad Thing™. Needing hivi to cycle on a road outside a built up area suggests that the relationship between road users has fundamentally broken down. If the only way a motorist can see a rider is if they are reflecting on their body, rather than just the rear light, pedal, & rear reflector, then they should perhaps slow the fsck down. I say that as someone who used to drive for a living.

Whilst I agree that everything you say is technically correct - I see it as not that black and white.
I simply feel that although vehicle drivers can see me when I'm wearing black, as they should be able to - they can see me better with a reflective vest on.

I agree that you shouldn't be forced to (although I don't get that wound up about it).

« Reply #56 on: 20 October, 2018, 09:29:37 pm »

I also feel that making a cyclist wear hivi is just victim blaming, plain and simple.

The benefits to society of cycling so far outway any cost from any perceived extra risk to cyclists, that measures like hivi, like helmets, like number plates etc... how ever well intended will *ALWAYS* reduce the number of people cycling.

Cycling needs to be as easy as walking, and nothing should stop that.

I also find nothing unreasonable about not having distracting noises in your ears. I see enough numpties walking and driving like that and forgetting the existence of the rest of the world while they do it (although a lot less cyclists and they are mainly the ones in the "cité" around me who also haven't heard about using lights and being seen after dark!).
As an aside I used to be a despatch rider with a 2-way radio and helmet-mounted headphones and mic. In probably more than 200k miles it only put me in an accident situation once - but then you only need to die once, that is usually enough for most mortals.

I've cycled thousands of km with headphones on, it isn't an issue for me. Banning headphones for cyclists is yet more victim blaming, and completely ignores the fact that motorists can drive round with music blaring, the windows closes, and are just fine. Whilst I can't even ride along listening to The Guilty Feminist at a volume where I can still hear the traffic around me.

You choose not to wear headphones. I choose to wear headphones. The law in France removes that choice for me. I consider this a Bad Thing™.

J

As to what concerns our local cycle action group I can only post a link to their site and let you see (and read) for yourself. Please note that there are no photos in which the participants are in any way obliged to wear hi-viz. It is not an issue only a choice!
https://velivelo.wordpress.com/

I am not a member for my sins, I really ought to be but things have never worked out that way, it's not the cost of the subscription though!

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 21 October, 2018, 11:51:47 am »
You could always look at ultra lightweight running tops for something a lot more breathable

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-superlight-shell-windtops-c49/superlight-jackets-c196/ultralight-jacket-p6750

Anything mrmbrane based will struggle with aerobic lebels of exertion, so you are better off looking at a windproof layer you can wear over a wicking base layer.

« Reply #58 on: 27 October, 2018, 05:53:58 pm »
How about the Asos Emergency vest for reflective power then wear whatever you like underneath?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108137.0