Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252797 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6750 on: 30 April, 2018, 10:20:34 am »
Riding really hard for 10 minutes will certainly raise your level of calorie burning for those 10 minutes and maybe some 'cool-down' time afterwards. How much it changes your metabolism for the rest of the day is moot and variable.
The exercise will certainly get your heart pumping and blood coursing round the body.
If it's intense enough to build muscle, won't that also effect metabolism? All good, but even with the most optimistic estimates it's still not going to consume enough calories to make much difference - rough calculation, if 1 kg weight loss is 7,000 cal and 10 min intense is 160 cal, then it'll take around 22 weeks to lose a kg :o

I find exercise acts like an appetite suppressant. Sometimes I'll feel hungry but don't want to eat because I'm planning on going for a run or a swim in the next hour or so and don't want to have to re-swallow my breakfast/lunch, but when I'm back from my run/swim I don't feel hungry any more.

I think this is a bonus trick behind the HIIT weight loss strategy (a slightly boosted metabolism may also be contributing). If even a short 10 minute bout of exercise is enough to stop you snacking as much it could lead to weight loss through reduced calorie consumption (assuming you don't make up for it when you do eventually eat).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6751 on: 30 April, 2018, 11:56:00 am »
Riding really hard for 10 minutes will certainly raise your level of calorie burning for those 10 minutes and maybe some 'cool-down' time afterwards. How much it changes your metabolism for the rest of the day is moot and variable.
The exercise will certainly get your heart pumping and blood coursing round the body.
If it's intense enough to build muscle, won't that also effect metabolism? All good, but even with the most optimistic estimates it's still not going to consume enough calories to make much difference - rough calculation, if 1 kg weight loss is 7,000 cal and 10 min intense is 160 cal, then it'll take around 22 weeks to lose a kg :o

I don't know how much a burn session speeds up metabolism for the rest of the day; it's probably variable and not a great deal.

It might not be enough to stimulate the appetite, which would be a benefit. If it DOES stimulate the appetite, it would be very easy to overeat...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6752 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:02:48 pm »
Religion aside, I think it's useful to be mindful of what and when you're eating.

Habitual mindless eating is very fattening. I don't have a TV but eating while watching is bad for the teeth and waistline IMO.

If you need something in your hands whilst watching, the various needlecrafts are good as you MUST have clean hands...

« Reply #6753 on: 30 April, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
Can't wait for my hip replacement operation on Wed (2nd May) and the post-op drugs I have to take.
Fragmin (for me) is great as an appetite suppressant. On each occasion I've taken it after an operation
has result in weight loss.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6754 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:03:16 pm »
Hope all goes well with the op.

You need good nutrition to recover well from surgery so methinks you should eat fair amounts of Good Stuff.

ETA Under-nutrition impairs healing. Don't!

You'll be fasting or have poor appetite at times. Eat WELL when you feel like eating.

Don't fret about losing or gaining weight in the peri-operative period. The body's response to trauma (and surgery) can cause BIG shifts in water for some. Some people retain a lot of water, that shifts after a while. I'd suggest a fortnight (at least) without a weigh-in.

« Reply #6755 on: 30 April, 2018, 03:32:29 pm »
Thank you HM. Will also be doing the exercise (to the letter) to gain strength and flexibility. :thumbsup:

« Reply #6756 on: 03 May, 2018, 11:57:57 am »
I would never argue with a vicar! (probably because she would hit me!)

However whilst I understand your reference is to eating food offered to idols, I think the practice of giving thanks for food (saying Grace) goes back a lot further.

For instance Jesus, is recorded as giving thanks for the bread before he broke it.  Certainly for our family saying Grace is a very simple but powerful way of reminding ourselves at every meal that food is a gift not a given.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6757 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »
I would never argue with a vicar! (probably because she would hit me!)

However whilst I understand your reference is to eating food offered to idols, I think the practice of giving thanks for food (saying Grace) goes back a lot further.

For instance Jesus, is recorded as giving thanks for the bread before he broke it.  Certainly for our family saying Grace is a very simple but powerful way of reminding ourselves at every meal that food is a gift not a given.

I hadn't put those things together. Silly me. Helly's point that, from a dietary perspective it is good to be mindful of what goes into your mouth is well taken too.
Thank you.
G.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6758 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
Another religious aspect of eating in Judaism is the recitation of a Blessing the first time you eat a fruit in a season, thanking the Lord for sustaining oneself to this season.

I like the idea of celebrating fruits coming into season.

Maybe I should mostly eat seasonal food that has not travelled too far.

Strawberries are not special if you get them all year...

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6759 on: 09 May, 2018, 10:27:50 am »
Some exercise on a daily basis definitely good for you, full stop.

On fasting days I find keeping busy with just about anything helps you to forget that you may be feeling peckish. Walking is good because the stimulus of moving through the landscape takes your mind off things. Cycling also good, but if you go too fast or too far the HUNGER arrives as soon as you stop. Even something as simple as being busy at work, with a deadline to meet, can make the hours fly by without even noticing you may be a trifle underfed. Gardening also good - occupies the mind as well as the body. I don't think I could just "do exercise" gym style on a fasting day: too monotonous, your mind inevitably wanders to the topic of food...

Oh and drinking coffee (not too strong) and lots of water through the day helps too.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6760 on: 09 May, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
<snip>I find exercise acts like an appetite suppressant. <snip>

There's somethoing I call "day 2" syndrome.

Following a Keto diet, I don't get that hungry during rides... eating is as much about morale as sustenance. I'm generally not that hungry the day after either, and it's relatively easy not to overat. It's always 'day 2' I feel ravenous.

A lesson learned is that whilst it's possible to get away without eating much on the day of a ride, eating definitely aides recovery in the following days  (and if its a multi-day event that I'll need to eat anyway).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6761 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:11:01 pm »
The Tuesday/midweek Vorax always appeared when I was doing Audax and going keto wasn't an issue then. I was RAVENOUS!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6762 on: 12 May, 2018, 10:07:40 pm »
Took 5 attempts to be able to stand sufficiently steadily on scales for them to beep.
Used them for the first time in a month.
No significant change.

GN: Waist circumference is steady.
BN: Hip circumference is UP.

'She has an hourglass figure, but the sand has sifted to the bottom.'

My waist to hip ratio is 0.7. Waist:height 0.44.

py

« Reply #6763 on: 25 May, 2018, 11:31:13 am »
Relatively new to YACF, have been lurking a bit found this and the annual tracking thread so decided to get involved. Have made some positive changes to diet in terms of quality, quantity and when I'm eating which has led to some good results so far. Have also opted to bring a bidon with me on my commutes to ensure I get enough water during the day.

Updating has been tough. Back to back to back colds in February was a real pain and then we'd a new addition to the family in March. Finally back in a rhythm/routine where food is being monitored and am getting a small bit more time back on the bike before work. Need to get back on Zwift soon though.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6764 on: 30 May, 2018, 02:32:54 pm »
Weight static this week, but my waistline appears to be continuing to shrink, which is good news.

I suspect some rearranging of bodily structure is going on. A bit more cycling in the good weather probably helping.
Embrace your inner Fred.

py

« Reply #6765 on: 20 June, 2018, 12:19:50 pm »
Relatively new to YACF, have been lurking a bit found this and the annual tracking thread so decided to get involved. Have made some positive changes to diet in terms of quality, quantity and when I'm eating which has led to some good results so far. Have also opted to bring a bidon with me on my commutes to ensure I get enough water during the day.

Updating has been tough. Back to back to back colds in February was a real pain and then we'd a new addition to the family in March. Finally back in a rhythm/routine where food is being monitored and am getting a small bit more time back on the bike before work. Need to get back on Zwift soon though.

Between May 22nd and June 17th when my 16/8 intermittent fasting was run pretty much religiously I lost 7Kg. Since Sunday I've moved to "water" fasting to see what sort of effect it has on my mental/physical state. Will report back on how I'm getting on. I'm about 72 hours in without any food, just water consumption at about 3 litres/day. Still commuting on my bike to/from work but I'm doing at Z1 levels to keep efforts to a minimum.

py

« Reply #6766 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:06:00 pm »
Between May 22nd and June 17th when my 16/8 intermittent fasting was run pretty much religiously I lost 7Kg. Since Sunday I've moved to "water" fasting to see what sort of effect it has on my mental/physical state. Will report back on how I'm getting on. I'm about 72 hours in without any food, just water consumption at about 3 litres/day. Still commuting on my bike to/from work but I'm doing at Z1 levels to keep efforts to a minimum.

Managed 8 days of "water" fasting. Cycling at endurance efforts was fine during this period though I didn't do anything over 30Km. Energy levels were generally fine though did get dizzy the odd time if I stood up too quickly. I drank 2-3 litres of water every day. Suffered some cramp so added electrolytes in to some of the water at the latter stages of the 8 days which helped with the cramping. I've a young family at home so the weekend was tough to get through, would much preferred to have been isolated for the duration of it which also would've led to better sleep. Going to continue to track things over the next few weeks and will revert back to 16/8 intermittent fasting in the coming days.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #6767 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:21:11 pm »
After 18 months of gradual weight loss through using a Fitbit to manage calories in/out I hit my target weight on Friday. On Saturday I rode a very hot and sunny 300km Audax (Snow Roads). Weighed myself this morning and I'd put 1.7kg back on! Pretty sure I've had a substantial calorie deficit over the weekend so I don't understand where the weight comes from. Any ideas?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6768 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:24:39 pm »
Water retention, probably. It'll go again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #6769 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:27:33 pm »
After 18 months of gradual weight loss through using a Fitbit to manage calories in/out I hit my target weight on Friday. On Saturday I rode a very hot and sunny 300km Audax (Snow Roads). Weighed myself this morning and I'd put 1.7kg back on! Pretty sure I've had a substantial calorie deficit over the weekend so I don't understand where the weight comes from. Any ideas?

When you push hard like that 300, your body naturally goes into repair mode, which includes holding extra fluid (mainly water) around all the muscles that need repair...

The water comes from your normal fluid intake, and although you won’t notice, you won’t have been peeing as much as normal....

As a result you get a TEMPORARY increase in weight, BUT only for a few days, and when the repairs are finished, all the water is no longer needed, and hey presto: your weight will have gone down !

Well that’s what usually happens anyway.   😎

(Cross posted.... 🤪🤪)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6770 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:41:19 pm »
'Injury' type fluid retention usually disperses in 4-10 days.

Either don't weigh yourself or chart your weights with obsessive scientific interest.

But don't fret.

And don't let this temporary non-fat weight blip lure you into a binge, which might make you fatter, not wetter.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6771 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:00:32 pm »
'Injury' type fluid retention usually disperses in 4-10 days.

Either don't weigh yourself or chart your weights with obsessive scientific interest.

But don't fret.

And don't let this temporary non-fat weight blip lure you into a binge, which might make you fatter, not wetter.

I'm glad I stumbled on this part of the thread. After steady losses, a kg her, another kg there, I recently did 275km of a 600 (then bailed, and did 60k the next day to get home), on barely 2000kcal of intake (30°C temps plus exercise shut down my gastric system it seems), I was horrified to find myself 1kg heavier when I weighed myself 2 days later.

I wonder what this weeks weigh in will show.

26kg to go...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6772 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:38:31 pm »
Whatever you are doing, you might have noticed it's rather hot in much of the UK at present.

Don't be surprised if your ankles swell and you gain a little weight.

It's only water which you'll flush away once the temperature drops.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6773 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:12:12 am »
Whatever you are doing, you might have noticed it's rather hot in much of the UK at present.

Don't be surprised if your ankles swell and you gain a little weight.

It's only water which you'll flush away once the temperature drops.

Yeah. This rather hot here too. And being a swamp, crazy humid too. Ankles haven't swollen yet, but they will soon enough...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6774 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:18:25 am »
Even if your ankles don't swell, the circulating blood volume expands as blood vessels dilate, bringing more blood to the skin to dump heat outside the body.