Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930607 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21350 on: 13 October, 2018, 08:29:02 pm »
Good luck with that.  I did almost the same thing (paid for my car rather than my wife’s that I was using that day) but Ringo refused on the basis that I couldn’t prove that I hadn’t used two cars that day.

They cancelled the PCN and all was fine.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #21351 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
Car seems to have a headlight issue - passenger side dip isn't on (still has sidelight on that side, and the sidelight is bright enough that we've been driving for a while without noticing).

so I think that maybe I can replace the bulb. Check manual. First line of instruction "Remove front bumper". Instructions for removing bumper "Jack up car and remove both front wheels, then remove wheel linings".

I stopped reading at that point. If I'd carried on, no doubt I would have reached the "Now remove the engine" part.

FFS, who the hell designs these things, so that replacing a bloody bulb requires axle stands, a full set of mechanic's tools and 3 pages of instructions?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21352 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:40:52 pm »
Check YouTube first

rr

« Reply #21353 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:42:48 pm »
Pay Halfords £5 to do it?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

rr

« Reply #21354 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:43:54 pm »
Check YouTube first
Or find a dexterous small child, worked for me until they grew.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21355 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:57:51 pm »
Check YouTube first
Or find a dexterous small child, worked for me until they grew.

I was never issued with any dexterous versions.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21356 on: 14 October, 2018, 04:54:04 pm »

I'm going for that option. I have many things I can be doing with my time, including repairs in house, ironing, working, etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21357 on: 14 October, 2018, 05:09:07 pm »

I'm going for that option. I have many things I can be doing with my time, including repairs in house, ironing, working, etc.

And you'll find they won't I expect.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #21358 on: 14 October, 2018, 07:00:37 pm »
Car seems to have a headlight issue - passenger side dip isn't on (still has sidelight on that side, and the sidelight is bright enough that we've been driving for a while without noticing).

so I think that maybe I can replace the bulb. Check manual. First line of instruction "Remove front bumper". Instructions for removing bumper "Jack up car and remove both front wheels, then remove wheel linings".

I stopped reading at that point. If I'd carried on, no doubt I would have reached the "Now remove the engine" part.

FFS, who the hell designs these things, so that replacing a bloody bulb requires axle stands, a full set of mechanic's tools and 3 pages of instructions?

AIUI, in some countries (France?) you have to be able to demonstrate to Plod that you have spare bulbs in the car and that you can change the bulb on site.  Good luck with taking the bumper off on some dark lane, in the rain, on a wet Sunday night then.....

On our cars (Pug 207 and Kia Ceed) I can just change the bulbs, given daylight, a relaxed temperament and no rain.  But change any one of these and it's just not going to happen, not wihout a passing small child to assist.  And even then they'd need a significant degree of mechanical awareness to get the bulb tangs back in their slots in the bulb holder.  DAMHIKT.

Now, where did I put the 1956 Moggy Minor I had when a student geologist, field tripping all over the UK and Spain?  I recall overhauling the front dampers on a beach in Galicia with a few spanners and a couple of cevezas.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21359 on: 14 October, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
I think Germany is a 'show Plod spare bulb' country.

« Reply #21360 on: 14 October, 2018, 10:28:25 pm »

AIUI, in some countries (France?) you have to be able to demonstrate to Plod that you have spare bulbs in the car and that you can change the bulb on site.  Good luck with taking the bumper off on some dark lane, in the rain, on a wet Sunday night then.....

On our cars (Pug 207 and Kia Ceed) I can just change the bulbs, given daylight, a relaxed temperament and no rain.  But change any one of these and it's just not going to happen, not wihout a passing small child to assist.  And even then they'd need a significant degree of mechanical awareness to get the bulb tangs back in their slots in the bulb holder.  DAMHIKT.

Now, where did I put the 1956 Moggy Minor I had when a student geologist, field tripping all over the UK and Spain?  I recall overhauling the front dampers on a beach in Galicia with a few spanners and a couple of cevezas.
Correct

Ironically, our car is a Citroën
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21361 on: 14 October, 2018, 11:22:53 pm »
Which model?

So I can avoid buying one...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21362 on: 15 October, 2018, 07:27:40 am »
Which model?

isnt that all of them, apart from the old DS?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21363 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:28:40 am »
Oi! Father in law, with whom we _had_ been residing.

I don't mind if you want to rant, we all need to rant every now and again.

I don't mind the swearing, ditto.

What I do mind is you storing everything up and exploding at me, my wife (your daughter) and my child (your grandchild) because you just can't find it in yourself to discuss anything with us.

What did you think we would do? Did you think we would say "Oh, it's ok, we'll stay under this roof where we don't feel welcome and constantly feel like we are walking on eggshells"? Making it all about the food was a pretty shit thing to do, too.  Oh well, go back to eating your ready meals which, for reference, smell like shit to me, just like you say the meat I cooked last week did to you.  You do know that, if you had bothered to raise a finger to help, I would have been grateful for the help int he kitchen, or even in the menu planning.

I had a lot of respect for you.  Had is the key word in that sentence, and it is going to take a whole load of work, on your part, to get that back in place.

I don't actually care that we are sleeping in caravan now, at least we can relax.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #21364 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:31:16 am »
Its all 'Form Over Function' bollocks innit?

Make a bulb easy to change? But that means the car won't look so sleek and mean and low profile and shit.

« Reply #21365 on: 15 October, 2018, 03:28:36 pm »
Which model?

Bulbs were easy to change. Handbrake pads, now that was an engine out job ...

(Slight exaggeration, maybe, but it was a foot operated parking/emergency brake, acting on the front discs. Inboard discs. IIRC - and I probably don't, because the idea of doing the job scared me - I think the official procedure is to drop the half-shafts. If you make a special tool and get lucky, I think you can do it by groping round the sides of the engine.)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21366 on: 15 October, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
Which model?

Or make a set of aircraft type chocks  :thumbsup:

Bulbs were easy to change. Handbrake pads, now that was an engine out job ...

(Slight exaggeration, maybe, but it was a foot operated parking/emergency brake, acting on the front discs. Inboard discs. IIRC - and I probably don't, because the idea of doing the job scared me - I think the official procedure is to drop the half-shafts. If you make a special tool and get lucky, I think you can do it by groping round the sides of the engine.)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #21367 on: 15 October, 2018, 05:20:12 pm »
The dickhead around the corner has yet again cleared the leaves from the front of his garage by shoving them around said corner and onto the public highway (in front of my house). I patiently and politely explained last year that despite what he thinks, the council won't miraculously appear to clean them up, the sweeper randomly appears about once a year, and instead the leaves will simply mulch into a slipslidy mess across the top of the hill that gradually coats the entire road. There's not much traction as it is, and it's treacherous if you're on two wheels. He could quite easily move them a few metres further and chuck them in the hedgerow. But the knobchuckler just piles them in the road and gutter.

I'm tempted to go post them through his letterbox but I'm a grown-up who has better things to do than deal with halfwits. Last year I cleared them up (that's how I got to patiently and politely explain – he was watching me do it from over his fence), but they're all soggy this year, so I shopped him to the council. I reckon dumping leaves on a public highway comes under the definition of flytipping. And if it doesn't, it definitely fits the definition of being a cunt.

ian

« Reply #21368 on: 16 October, 2018, 10:11:41 am »
Blimey, a street cleaner just came up the hill. That's a rarely sighted beast in these parts (and generally pointless, as all it does is drive around the parked cars rather than clear the gutters). The council isn't normally that responsive. In fact, they've swept up the leaves quicker than respond to my email. People are dicks though, why would you clear the leaves from your property and just dump them in the road?

In other news, the stupid cold as moved down to my throat and lungs with a cough that feels like I'm coughing up angry porcupines. Backwards. I'm supposed to be hosting a workshop in Paris on Thursday. Oh, that'll be fun. Maybe I'll drown in my own mucus before then.

ian

« Reply #21369 on: 17 October, 2018, 11:30:48 am »
Blimey, a street cleaner just came up the hill. That's a rarely sighted beast in these parts (and generally pointless, as all it does is drive around the parked cars rather than clear the gutters). The council isn't normally that responsive. In fact, they've swept up the leaves quicker than respond to my email. People are dicks though, why would you clear the leaves from your property and just dump them in the road?

It seems it wasn't a rapid response to me – the green waste lorry (the one that always gets stuck on the corner) had failed to get up the hill earlier because it couldn't get traction.

Anyway, it didn't work because it failed again later. Oddly, the recycling lorry just managed. Presume it was already partly loaded.

I have the same problem on my bike, frantic pedalling just makes the back wheel spin, even if I am sitting on the saddle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21370 on: 23 October, 2018, 12:36:59 pm »
Image-based recaptchas.  Just stop now.  The images are blurry and indistinct on a phone and it's all weird US stuff with traffic lights on strings, above-ground fire hydrants and shitty vehicles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21371 on: 23 October, 2018, 01:29:57 pm »
The ones used sometimes by Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles are blurry and indistinct on a 32" 4k monitor powered by a fuck-off video card.  And the audio alternative nearly always doesn't work.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #21372 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:18:59 pm »
The ones used sometimes by Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles are blurry and indistinct...
Ditto! those! used! by! Yahoo! 

Joak punctuation shamelessly nicked from The Register.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21373 on: 24 October, 2018, 12:19:52 am »
The ones used sometimes by Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles are blurry and indistinct on a 32" 4k monitor powered by a fuck-off video card.  And the audio alternative nearly always doesn't work.

Thankfully, there hasn't been any of this arse pain recently. Touch wood, it's at least a month since I last had it.

« Reply #21374 on: 30 October, 2018, 12:52:40 pm »
Spreading human waste over rails following refurbishment of railway carriages is just unnaceptable and for whatever reason! Third world solutions. Before you go HS2 you should sort the shit out!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46028596
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain