Author Topic: Winged Wheels  (Read 62709 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Winged Wheels
« Reply #50 on: 23 May, 2012, 07:33:29 am »
What was wrong with the Winged Wheel anyways? Lovely symbol and piece of cycling history instead of the current inchoate mess?

Frere

Couldn't agree more.  It's a design classic with a real heritage .

Kevin Mayne was pushing to get rid of it - but he was stymied by the fact that the CTC Winged Wheel is enshrined in statute.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:17:25 am »
I'm sure we could change that.  Arrange another prize draw! :demon:
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #52 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:40:57 am »
What was wrong with the Winged Wheel anyways? Lovely symbol and piece of cycling history instead of the current inchoate mess?

Frere

Kevin Mayne was pushing to get rid of it - but he was stymied by the fact that the CTC Winged Wheel is enshrined in statute.

I didn't know that
My regard for him is even less than it was previously.My relief that he has departed is even greater than it was previously.
Slightly off topic,I've just cancelled my SO relating to membership renewal.

« Reply #53 on: 02 June, 2012, 08:19:27 am »

Frere

Isn't it about time to move on from the logo debate? I enjoy seeing everyone's posts of the historical plaques, but I don't hanker for a bygone era's logo.

« Reply #54 on: 03 June, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »
SpaceBadger, I think most of the posters on this thread would argue that it isn't a bygone era.  It wasn't broken, so didn't need fixing.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #55 on: 03 June, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »
SpaceBadger, IMHO the more dated of the two logos is the lower case blue and yellow one that was brought in to replace the flying wings. It looks like a logo designed in the early 90s with it's curved rectangle shape and Gill Sans typeface, and really needs refreshing if that's what the CTC are going to use. It is starting to look amateurish.

OTOH, the winged wheel is a classic design and holds it's place well compared to modern designes because it didn't try to be trendy, meaning it doesn't look like last season's fashion.

Added to that, the winged wheel is a much better candidate for single colour printing, allowing much easier corporate branding.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #56 on: 03 June, 2012, 06:02:20 pm »

This....

It wasn't broken, so didn't need fixing.

nuff said

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 04 June, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
The winged wheel looks as if it was originally drawn by someone who knew what a wheel is, what wings are, and was not drunk at the time. The blue and yellow sign looks as much like a real bike as some of the more extreme signs painted on the road by council workers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #58 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:52:33 pm »
I appreciate that its horses for courses as to who likes what. It's my impression that the logo debate is more a representation of those who wish that it was still the "Cyclists Touring Club" i.e. exclusively for cycle tourists, rather than the rather more broadly appealing cyclists organisation (let's not go there re. the charity debate). As this in danger of going way OT, I'll call it a day here with a thanks to everyone who has posted a great winged wheel picture. Keep 'em coming  :)

« Reply #59 on: 07 June, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
Fair enough!  But I just like the old logo better.  As you say, where CTC is going is another matter

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #60 on: 07 June, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
Fair enough!  But I just like the old logo better.  As you say, where CTC is going is another matter

I wish to echo those three comments

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 07 June, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »
I don't particularly like either logo, but I dislike re-branding on principle.  Especially when you've got something with that kind of heritage.

PH

« Reply #62 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »
A familiar doorway for many in the East Mids, old and new side by side. 

« Reply #63 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:59:31 am »
PH, that photo is good for lots of reasons - where is it?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 11 July, 2012, 08:34:58 am »
Here

Looks worth a trip.

I forgot - we have been there after the Quorn camping trip for the CTC AGM.  Lots of interesting stuff to look at.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #65 on: 11 July, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
I too have been there a few times.It's often used as an audax control.

« Reply #66 on: 11 July, 2012, 10:25:33 am »
Thanks all, it looks great!

« Reply #67 on: 12 July, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »
The Castle, Hurst, just to the east of Reading.

Destination for the Reading CTC Wednesday evening rides last night. We drank them out of draught bitter, because none of the three ride leaders had told 'em we were coming, so the landlord hadn't got any more barrels ready for putting up. Next time, he's promised to make sure he has plenty on tap, as long as we let him know we're coming.

Original winged wheel, in original location.

Taken at 9.15 PM, by daylight. ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #68 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »

Wickham in HANTS.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »

Wyndham Arms, Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset.
Getting there...

« Reply #70 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:47:07 pm »

Wyndham Arms, Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset.

Know it well. At least two of my Audax events go past it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:09:39 pm »
Nice.  Lovely lanes round there.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #72 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:13:06 pm »
My wife's aunt lives just down the road. I seem to always wind up the teenage map reader by calling that 'Kingsbury Bishops'

Some nice testing wee lanes indeed on the Blackdown ups.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #73 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »
Nice.  Lovely lanes round there.

After a while, riding on the Levels, you notice the subtle change in gradient that invariably reveals a settlement on what was probably once an island for most of the year.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 03 February, 2013, 12:33:12 pm »
There is now a map!

Hours of fun planning tours ahoy! ;)
Getting there...