Author Topic: Tonights Prom - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic  (Read 1147 times)

Tonights Prom - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
« on: 19 July, 2010, 07:46:29 pm »
This is my local orchestra, I'm 10 minutes walk from the concert hall and one of the percussionists is my next door neighbour.

I watched them play the Schumann and Tchaikovsky yesterday. We had Chopin rather than Rachmaninov though.

BBC - Proms - 19 July 2010

"As the moody Romantic hero par excellence, Byron's Manfred appealed to artists across the board.

While the brooding overture of Schumann's incidental music captures the tale's supernatural Alpine setting, Tchaikovsky's response is a fusion of tone-poem and Classical form whose full-length portrait of the protagonist stands as one of its composer's greatest achievements.

Brilliant Macedonian pianist Simon Trpčeski, a graduate of BBC Radio 3's New Generation Artists scheme, joins the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under its trailblazing Principal Conductor Vasily Petrenko.

* Schumann, orch. Mahler Manfred – overture (13 mins)
    * Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor (35 mins)

* interval

* Tchaikovsky Manfred (55 mins)

* Simon Trpčeski piano

* Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
    * Vasily Petrenko conductor"

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tonights Prom - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »
Thanks for the reminder! I've just turned it on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tonights Prom - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:54:30 am »
Resurrection- but not the RLPO!

There's a late night prom tonight and we've got tickets. They are for the choir stalls. Andras Schiff is playing Bach - all 24 preludes & fugues from Book 2 of Das Wohltempiertes Klavier.

Our seats are quite close to the piano, but I have a nasty feeling that we won't see anything of the performer: the piano lid will be in the way!

Jan and I are going out fairly soon to make an afternoon and evening of it in That London. We are staying at Imperial College as the prom doesn't finish until nearly midnight and the last train to Southend - the 12.45am - is a slow service that arrives after 2am. Its nickname, not without reason, is the "vomit comet".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.