Author Topic: Rider Lists  (Read 19242 times)

Re: Rider Lists
« Reply #50 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:40:29 am »
I have to stress though, that this isn't a race.

Sure, people want to get a good time for the course, but it's not a race.

Alouicious

« Reply #51 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:48:05 am »
I have to stress though, that this isn't a race.

Sure, people want to get a good time for the course, but it's not a race.

And there's me thinking the object of a SPORTIVE is to get round as fast as you can...

Silly me. If it was called an Audax, there wouldn't be the wannabee raceboys turning up on their elite class lightweights expecting a RACE.

« Reply #52 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:01:21 am »
And there's me thinking the object of a SPORTIVE is to get round as fast as you can...

It can be, but most sportives are not mass start races (where everyone starts at the same time), they tend to go off in batches.

Sportives are more like time trials rather than races, you can be the first to cross the finish line but not get the fastest time.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
So like a time trial with wheelsucking?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:15:16 am »
Silly me. If it was called an Audax, there wouldn't be the wannabee raceboys turning up on their elite class lightweights expecting a RACE.

You see quite a bit of that on the shorter Audaxes, plenty of deep profile 'lightweight' branded carbon rims who set off at 40kph+.

Alouicious

« Reply #55 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:29:59 am »
I'm mistaken.

The object of ANY bike ride from Macclesfield is to get from control to control without putting both feet on the ground at the same time.

« Reply #56 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:30:59 am »
So like a time trial with wheelsucking?

Yes, and beware of the 'Dave'.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:38:39 am »
 ;D

(some sportive ride reports suggest it's a race where not everyone knows you're racing them - sounds perfect!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #58 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
Hi TSK,

There will be soreen, bananas, tea, coffee, water, energy products and other things to keep you going at the feed station.
On arrival at the finish there will be a BBQ for participants which includes a free drink.

That feedstation doesn't really sound that appealing. Can you recommend any good cafe's on the way round that might offer a sandwich and a salad with a good americano at a reasonable price?

Alouicious

« Reply #59 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »
Hi TSK,

There will be soreen, bananas, tea, coffee, water, energy products and other things to keep you going at the feed station.
On arrival at the finish there will be a BBQ for participants which includes a free drink.

That feedstation doesn't really sound that appealing. Can you recommend any good cafe's on the way round that might offer a sandwich and a salad with a good americano at a reasonable price?

For twenty five quid, I would expect a self serve Full English before the start. Salmon rolls and Fresh cream doughnuts at the stops.

« Reply #60 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:40:56 pm »
You know Alo, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

So KidsCan, if you can sort out a good brekkie, salmon rolls, doughnuts and an espresso machine at the feed station I reckon I'm in. And just for laughs, instead of publishing riders times at the end, publish the amount of food they've eaten instead. That'll make it a lot more fun.

Alouicious

« Reply #61 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »
You know Alo, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

So KidsCan, if you can sort out a good brekkie, salmon rolls, doughnuts and an espresso machine at the feed station I reckon I'm in. And just for laughs, instead of publishing riders times at the end, publish the amount of food they've eaten instead. That'll make it a lot more fun.

The rider's weight will be measured before and after, and any imbalance will be surgically removed...

There will be a copius Bar-b-q after the event.

Alouicious

« Reply #62 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YhSAk1o4Cw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7YhSAk1o4Cw&rel=1</a>

For Feeding Station advice.

For the rides over 50k, its $45. June 5th 2011... Shameless plug...

« Reply #63 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:22:35 pm »
;D

(some sportive ride reports suggest it's a race where not everyone knows you're racing them - sounds perfect!)

Sportivers pretend to race whereas audaxers pretend not to race.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Alouicious

« Reply #64 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »
;D

Sportivers pretend to race whereas audaxers pretend not to race.

An Audax is a 'Thinking man's' Sportive.

What I notice on the DIY electronic on-line application form is I have to list the start, finish and intermediatery controls by Location name and Brit Grid Ref; and the accumulated distance.

Mr Forrest then has to check my proposed route by plugging in the Grid refs into a mapping/routing package.

In reverse, when a member applies to enter a Calendar ride, all the organiser needs to send out is the start, finish, controls and INFOs as their Location name and Brit Grid Ref. Opening and closing times will be published as per the Organiser has constructed the route.

Then it is the 'thinking' AUK member's task to plan his/her route.

« Reply #65 on: 24 March, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »
Sometimes it's possible to over-think something.

Alouicious

« Reply #66 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »
I see I am 'flogging a dead horse' here.

AUK riders prefer to be "Spoon fed". ( like Sportive riders ).

« Reply #67 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »
I see I am 'flogging a dead horse' here.

AUK riders prefer to be "Spoon fed". ( like Sportive riders ).

Nice bait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #68 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »
I've seen loads of Rider Lists on Audaxes. Mostly towards the end of the ride, and usually to the left.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #69 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »
Would folk object if I put up a simple list of entrants or finishers of my events? Would any welcome it? would it be useful or interesting?

I ask because I have thought of doing it, but worried about people objecting. Those who complete a Wessex Series get their names in lights pixels.

AndyH

« Reply #70 on: 24 March, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »
I wouldn't object at all.

« Reply #71 on: 24 March, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »
I wouldn't mind, but I can imagine some may have a problem with it prior to the event.

After the event I don't think there's even a need to ask since the names are also published on the AUK website in the results pages.

Consider putting them on a page that is protected from the web spiders.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #72 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:20:06 pm »
I think an list of entrants online beforehand can be useful. It lets you check whether your entry has been received by the organiser. Even with online entry, you might not receive a confirmation email for whatever reason.
And it is nice to get an idea of how many people will be riding, plus checking whether there's anyone you know.
Its a fairly common thing for running races or mountain bike races etc Quite a few of the online entry systems do this as standard, eg SiEntries Online Event and Race Entries System

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #73 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »
Finishers are covered on the AUK site, that seems to be enough for me. If there are people I'd like to see or ride with I'll know they are on the ride anyway.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #74 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:07:04 am »
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for your help.
Your suggestions about the riders lists have been very useful.

I have had some people on other forums say they like to see their name to make sure they're taking part, but we always e-mail everyone when they sign up so I would hope that would have covered that side of things.

Interesting to say the least.

Many thanks again for your help.
2 weeks to go!

KidsCan