Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 257123 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1525 on: 16 December, 2017, 08:40:59 am »
Probably all over for Perth, & the Ashes now.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1526 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:19:49 pm »
It's time for Boycott to get shown the door at TMS.  Today he repeated practically verbatim the same laboured points every time he was on-air.  I counted 6 rants about how he "wasn't anti-patriotic but just stating the facts" and that England don't stand a chance down under without proper fast and spin bowlers.

I know he's largely there for his (unintended) comedy value as a grumpy northerner but he's now plagiarising as well as parodying himself.  The licence payer simply isn't getting value for money. 
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1527 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:32:03 pm »
He also constantly states the obvious: "England need to score more runs", "England need to take more wickets".

He is amusingly thick skinned though. When Aggers is taking the piss out of him, he could say "BOYCOTT, YOU ARE A CUNT!" and it'd still go straight over his head...

I agree, time to go....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1528 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:50:38 pm »
Swan is an utter bellend too. TMS has gone downhill I'm afraid.

Mind you it's tough being a summariser when England are getting an absolute tonking, what can you say?

« Reply #1529 on: 16 December, 2017, 02:22:37 pm »
Swan is an utter bellend too. TMS has gone downhill I'm afraid.

Agree about Swan.  Fine spin bowler he may have been but he's an arrogant and patronising knob-end. 

TBH I wish there had been more from some of the female TMS squad - better observations, generally more professional and less of the pseudo-humorous banter.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1530 on: 16 December, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
Yep, Ebony Rainford Brent and Alison Mitchell are both good.

« Reply #1531 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:37:42 pm »
If we were actually still in the game or the series, none of us would be going on about Boycott, but rather focusing on events out on the pitch. I do agree with you, but I don't have as strong a reaction to him as some. I also feel that commentators, whoever they are, are left with little else to say other than the bleeding obvious when we're getting completely and comprehensively stuffed out of sight.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1532 on: 17 December, 2017, 08:59:08 am »
Shame that Cook has been struggling, this innings 14 is more or less his series average...  A decent score now and again may have 'set the tone'.  S'pose it's Aus bowlers on Aus wickets...

« Reply #1533 on: 17 December, 2017, 09:54:40 am »
Just had a look at Vince's dismissal. Oh boy.....unplayable! Shame, he was going great.
And Root's wicket....well...captain's innings to save the game, first ball, dreadful shot.

Rain in the morning looks promising though :)
Garry Broad

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1534 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »
Boycott is a somewhat annoying know-it-all, but he has a key place in the comm box; noone has close to his experience of playing at the highest level. (although Vaughan often thinks he does ... )

Anyway, they form a team, that's the beauty of TMS. There is usually someone around to gently take the piss out of Geoffrey, and when there isn't, there will be a different pair with a different style along in a minute. Vic Marks, Blofeld, Aggers, Tufnell ... plus plenty of guys* from the other test-playing nations who bring their own perspective. New blood is always arriving - Ed Smith has immense knowledge (though I find him a bit shouty, but hopefully he'll mellow nicely with age!)

[I'm amazed that peeps find Swann to be " an arrogant and patronising knob-end". I listened to quite a long summary of his this morning, he was nothing like that. But still, if you feel that way, Aggers & co do provide a contrasting style :). I do think that Vaughan would be bottom of my dinner-party-invite-list - he'd drive me mad - but he does have relevant experience. ]

Glenn McGrath has been good value on this tour. I liked his suggestion that they should draw a crack on the wicket, to mark where Anderson should be bowling :P

*Yes I'm aware of the low number of non-guys  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1535 on: 17 December, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »
I actually like Swann - especially when he and Alison have a bit of flirtatious banter....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1536 on: 17 December, 2017, 08:01:32 pm »
I actually like Swann - especially when he and Alison have a bit of flirtatious banter....

I think you should write a song about them (A Swann Song?).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1537 on: 18 December, 2017, 06:36:33 pm »
quelle surprise. Woke up just in time to hear Moeen's wicket fall and didn't bother from then on.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1538 on: 25 December, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »
After England lost the toss, I’m tempted to put a bet on Aus scoring 600+ and winning by an innings. 
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1539 on: 27 December, 2017, 02:07:11 am »
Quite a good first session today.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1540 on: 27 December, 2017, 08:46:27 am »
After England lost the toss, I’m tempted to put a bet on Aus scoring 600+ and winning by an innings.
Well, if they'd been 2 separate bets, you could rip one slip up this morning.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1541 on: 27 December, 2017, 08:54:14 am »
Quite a good second session.

Quite a good third session.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1542 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:04:44 am »
Quite a dead rubber...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1543 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:06:28 am »
Quite a dead rubber...
No need to rub it in cobber  :hand:

( But do you think Smith doesn't care about the result? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1544 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:13:12 am »
Oh, this match's result counts for bragging rights but the overall counts for more.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1545 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:20:33 am »
Yes, agreed. 3-2 would be a good result.

« Reply #1546 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:20:49 am »
England also still need to avoid a second sucessive 5-0 whitewash.

A good MCG spell, something to build on, maybe...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1547 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:21:44 am »
Oh, this match's result counts for bragging rights but the overall counts for more.

Are you sure? I heard (very early) this morning that they'd agreed to play Double-or-Quits.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1548 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:35:36 am »
Is it the start of April already?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1549 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:40:15 am »
Anyway, Australia suffered from an attack of dragons.