Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 9829 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #50 on: 23 March, 2009, 11:36:56 am »
I saw this over the weekend, fantastic, some great one liners (especially "I'm a comic book super-villain, do you really think that I would tell you my plans if there would be any chance of you doing anything to thwart them?")

Silk Spectre II = very nice
Nite Owl II = Nerd
Comedian = Jaded
Doc Manhattan = confused...

Just don't go to see it expecting Spiderman or Batman, it's darker, much much darker, and more about how super heroes can become disillusioned about the good they can do...

Still go and see it though, it ROCKS!!!!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #51 on: 09 April, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »
Just picked up Tales of the Black Freighter DVD. Now to cook my supper and then watch some tales of pirates! Yarrrrrr

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #52 on: 09 April, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »
Saw this in ASDA the other day - was almost tempted.  I'm interested in how they might work that stuff in to the extended edition.

Jakob

« Reply #53 on: 13 April, 2009, 09:52:05 pm »
Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. In some ways, it followed the comic a lot closer than I expected. Some of the visuals are straight out of the book. OTOH, it was a little unsurprising as most of the story followed the book almost to the point.
 The different ending was probably better, but the most positive thing was the (for me, anyway), clarification of Dr. Manhattens character and to some extent Rorschach.
Great character work all around.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #54 on: 30 July, 2009, 08:46:59 pm »
Watched the DVD a few nights ago. Although I enjoyed it in the cinema I thought it was better second time around, probably the effect of not sitting in the cinema wondering "How are they goong to do this bit?" for much of the film.

There's an awful lot of detail there, will probably stand a fair bit of rewatching - looking forward to the extended version too.

I was especially pleased that in this alternate world, Neil Armstrong really did say "Good luck Mr Gorsky!" after walking on the moon (I thought I heard it in the cinema but I checked the subtitles on the DVD and it's definitely there).

« Reply #55 on: 31 July, 2009, 10:28:33 am »
Watched the DVD a few nights ago. Although I enjoyed it in the cinema I thought it was better second time around, probably the effect of not sitting in the cinema wondering "How are they goong to do this bit?" for much of the film.

There's an awful lot of detail there, will probably stand a fair bit of rewatching - looking forward to the extended version too.

I was especially pleased that in this alternate world, Neil Armstrong really did say "Good luck Mr Gorsky!" after walking on the moon (I thought I heard it in the cinema but I checked the subtitles on the DVD and it's definitely there).

Did you get the Blu-ray or the standard DVD (it's one of those films that I'm tempted to upgrade to hi-def for)?

Also, has it got Tales of the Black Freighter on the DVD, or are they saving that as an extra-special-extended-edition?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #56 on: 31 July, 2009, 01:28:37 pm »
Also, has it got [t]Tales of the Black Freighter[/i] on the DVD, or are they saving that as an extra-special-extended-edition?

Its coming in its own separate DVD - am looking forward to that. I could see why they could not put it in the actual film.

« Reply #57 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:03:01 pm »
Also, has it got Tales of the Black Freighter on the DVD, or are they saving that as an extra-special-extended-edition?

Its coming in its own separate DVD - am looking forward to that. I could see why they could not put it in the actual film.

There was talk of a super extended edition DVD with the option to splice Tales back in to the film so it could be a commentry on the "live" action - but I don't know if that is still going ahead.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #58 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:36:24 pm »

There was talk of a super extended edition DVD with the option to splice Tales back in to the film so it could be a commentry on the "live" action - but I don't know if that is still going ahead.

Really? My hubby would love that!  :D

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2009, 09:47:06 am »

Did you get the Blu-ray or the standard DVD (it's one of those films that I'm tempted to upgrade to hi-def for)?

I got the DVD (haven't got a blu-ray player and won't until the discs get a lot cheaper)

I just got the single disc version as I bought the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD back in March.  I didn't actually like the animation style of the Black Freighter segment at all but I liked the Under the Hood documentary that comes with it.

There is a 2 disc version of the DVD but I don't know what the extras are - there's virtually nothing in the way of extras on the single disc but I figured on getting the extended edition as and when it comes out so wasn't bothered.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »
Apart from a reading a couple of reviews I was unfamiliar with the context & characters of Watchmen before seeing the film, and it took me a while to get into it. It was pretty intense, uncomfortable viewing. Months later its still with me. I cannot stop thinking about it.

I think that's just about the best compliment any director could want.

border-rider

« Reply #61 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:33:48 pm »
Watching it now

I'm with Dez's friend - it's trite.  looks nice, though

red marley

« Reply #62 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:37:54 am »
I sort of agree (with MV). But this event looked fun though:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DFigSDRQc4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9DFigSDRQc4&rel=1</a>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 15 August, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
That really did look fun. It sounds like this event:

So I was at On Your Bike @ London Bridge on Thursday and I could hear all this screaming and shouting going on. Chap explains that it was the fans premiere of Watchmen and that they had hired out the entire street (underneath London Bridge station) and put in loads of extras playing various roles: holding banners, playing prostitutes (in some racy lingerie), skateboarders, people with ghetto blasters), and then loads of fans queuing up to an entrance with the sign 'Utopia' and American cars trundling down the road. Very cool!

(I've been trawling the thread for some history).

So we finally watched this yesterday, 20-odd years since I read the comic, which I loved. I really don't care how faithful adaptations are, so I was happy to watch with an open mind.

Mixed feelings. I think it has some brilliant elements but the main concept doesn't really hit any marks. You don't really need this big Bond-on-steroids armageddon story to make any points about human weakness (or whatever subtleties I missed). I think the Batman movies hang together better (well, the first one anyway), not trying to over-egg the pudding.

But the elements are brilliant. Rorschach is nearly as good as on the page, the visuals really worked with Dr Manhattan, and lots of nice ideas about what caped crusaders would actually do in the 'real' world.

My main gripe - as with Sin City - is the graphic violence. You just don't need that level of visceral detail; the scenes where you hear the gunshot, or see the blood seeping away worked much better than e.g. where we see someones hands angle-ground off. :(
Many blockbusters get this right - Silence of the Lambs, Batman, Bond movies - so why get it so wrong?

So 7/10. Maybe. I think N liked it more (and she never read the comic-book).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 25 November, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »
2 things, HBO are working on Watchmen series. Yay!?

Secondly DC just released the first issue of Doomday Clock, the sequel to Watchmen, its the return of the characters we all love, but worryingly brings in Batman and Superman. Reportedly it will be Dr Manhattan vs Superman. Nooooo!

I need to sneak out to forbidden planet to get a copy to see how bad it is, I’ve been avoiding the reviews.