Author Topic: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend  (Read 48137 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend
« Reply #50 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:41:58 pm »
I think he'll go to make his own youtube channel, but keep the same production levels. He'll still have access to all the cars and stars, but will absolutely coin in it from global advertising.
win-win!

All his drooling fans would be able to get their fix, and
the rest of us would be able to ignore it, just like all the other dross in the bottom half of the internet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »
Indeed so and I am 100% certain he knew exactly what he was doing with that registration plate in Argentina.   In fact, I believe wholly that the brief was to find appropriate plated vehicles then come up with a theme once you know what your core material is.   The show has history with number plate games so it's not like there isn't a precedent.   These things don't just happen and James May should be extremely ashamed that he even tried to claim otherwise IMO.

That grassy knoll must have been enormous :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #52 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:53:53 pm »
Clarkson is a typical ex public schoolboy tory toff muppet whom I hope the bbc give the sack.
I hope they conduct a fair and impartial investigation and hearing and take the most appropriate action. And I hope all the morons calling for his immediate reinstatement remember what happens when people are deemed to be above disciplinary action because of their celebrity status.*

*eg Jimmy Savile
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #53 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »
I'm actually quite scared by how many people have signed the petition for his reinstatement.

Exactly how reliable are on line petitions? 

Top Gear star Jeremy Clarkson is set for a multi-million pound windfall after selling his stake in the hit car show to the BBC.

Presenter Clarkson and the show’s producer Andy Wilman owned 50% of the rights to the Top Gear brand through their company Bedder 6. The Beeb owned the rest.
  28/9/2012

According to employment lawyers, the corporation could have to pay Clarkson twice over if it was to force him out, at a time when pay-offs for departing BBC staff have been described as a national scandal.
5/5/2014

His present contract expires in September.
Move Faster and Bake Things

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »
I'm actually quite scared by how many people have signed the petition for his reinstatement.

Exactly how reliable are on line petitions? 

Well, quite, but 300,000 names in 24 hours is a bit terrifying in support of someone accused of violence in the workplace.

Top Gear star Jeremy Clarkson is set for a multi-million pound windfall after selling his stake in the hit car show to the BBC.

Presenter Clarkson and the show’s producer Andy Wilman owned 50% of the rights to the Top Gear brand through their company Bedder 6. The Beeb owned the rest.
  28/9/2012

According to employment lawyers, the corporation could have to pay Clarkson twice over if it was to force him out, at a time when pay-offs for departing BBC staff have been described as a national scandal.
5/5/2014

Interesting correlations.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #56 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:41:00 pm »
Clarkson's intelligence is given too much credit because he's so clever at being funny.  I don't believe he always has everything planned out.  He's had so much power from his popularity that he simply doesn't need to think before he speaks, or punches.  But it can come to an end, like it did for Jonathon Ross at the BBC.  Leaving the BBC will not be a good move for Top Gear.  They won't get the budget and long term support elsewhere these days.  It's not what Clarkson planned.  He has been a genuine complacent berk.

Incidentally, the amount of swearing before the watershed is remarkable - an indicator of the power of the program.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #57 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:52:49 pm »

Incidentally, the amount of swearing before the watershed is remarkable - an indicator of the power of the program.

Yes, Gillian Anderson was quite bad wasn't she.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #58 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:58:59 pm »
I mean unbleeped swearing.  Ok, "arse" is a mild swear word, but they have an awful lot of arses before 9pm ('scuse the pun), and worse occasionally, iirr.

« Reply #59 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »

[Conspiracy mode]
Wearing Machiavellian glasses, one could view the many Clarkson "gaffes" as an attempt to get extra cash by getting forced out. Such a strategy would only make sense if he knew BBC wouldn't renew his contract, or that another TV-network have made him a huge offer to work them as soon as possible.

Perhaps the other TV-network didn't invite the Top Gear producer and brand Co-owner too; that could explain the fracas. Time will tell...[/Conspiracy mode]
--
Regards

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #60 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »
Leaving the BBC will not be a good move for Top Gear.

Top Gear won't leave the BBC - they own the brand (100% since Wilman and Clarkson sold their stake in 2012) and make an awful lot of money out of it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »
Gardening leave 'til September then.

Everyone wins apart from those that need to watch him.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #62 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
Leaving the BBC will not be a good move for Top Gear.

Top Gear won't leave the BBC - they own the brand (100% since Wilman and Clarkson sold their stake in 2012) and make an awful lot of money out of it.

...and it is much bigger than Clarkson:
Key stats

Guinness Book of Records holder for most watched factual programme in the world
Sold to 214 territories worldwide
Over three million YouTube subscribers
Over 19 million Facebook fans
Over one million Twitter followers
Top Gear Magazine global circulation: 1.67 million
Over 4 million unique users on topgear.com every month
Half a billion page views in the last year
Over 8.9 million downloads of Top Gear game apps
Over 1.5 million visitors to Top Gear Live
Audience

Top Gear’s unique entertaining nature appeals to a broad audience – 40% of the audience are female!
Core audience: males 18-35 passionate about cars and driving
Dads and lads who like cars: males 35-54 and their kids 7-11

(from http://advertising.bbcworldwide.com/home/mediakit/reachaudience/topgear )

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #63 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:22:12 pm »
Ok, but Top Gear in the form of its presenters and producers can leave the BBC and start up with a new name elsewhere, like some did to Fifth Gear years ago.  But of course they don't want to.  ITV, for instance, may pay its stars more at first, but they don't seem to support things so well in the long run these days, let alone spend as much on content.  Clarkson wouldn't have planned for that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #64 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:28:56 pm »
Also Fifth Gear was crap.  It could hardly be anything else with serial whingepig Jason Plato as one of the presenters.

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:30:39 pm »
Not to mention Jonny Yokel.

Sky doesn't currently have a motoring show, does it, hmmm?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:34:38 pm »
It didn't help Fifth Gear that it was on Channel Five.  Actually, I quite like Tiff Needell.

...and it is much bigger than Clarkson

But Top Gear will dwindle without Clarkson and Clarkson will dwindle without Top Gear.  So I don't think he planned to leave, unless he was considering retirement - which he comfortably could do, except without owning as many cars as Jay Leno.

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:36:43 pm »
Ok, but Top Gear in the form of its presenters and producers can leave the BBC and start up with a new name elsewhere, like some did to Fifth Gear years ago.

Did they jump or were they pushed? Top Gear was on the verge of being axed before Clarkson and Wilman came up with the new format. Does anyone miss Quentin Willson?

And rumours have been doing the rounds about the possible axing of the current line-up for at least a couple of years...

The international versions of Top Gear seem to do quite well without Clarkson's interference.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #68 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:43:17 pm »
Count Quentula is currently co-presenting "The Classic Car Show" on some awful below-stairs commercial channel.  With Jodie Kidd.  Srsly.

It is this: dreadful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »
The international versions of Top Gear seem to do quite well without Clarkson's interference.
??? Do you mean they have different, Clarkson-free, content? If not, in what way are they without Clarkson's interference? And if yes, what do they have in common with the TG we see other than the name?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #70 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:50:55 pm »
The international versions have the format without Clarkson, with their own presenters.  But *British* Top Gear without Clarkson will not be very popular, surely.

ps.  I suspect May and Hammond are nearly as popular, but wouldn't be with no Clarkson to bounce off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:52:03 pm »
My Leftpondian friends seem to be well aware of Clarkson.
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #72 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »

...and it is much bigger than Clarkson:

I don't think it is.

As much as I don't like the show I'm inclined to think that it is the Jeremy Clarkson show.

If the BBC sack him then SKY will hire him and recreate the format.

I think this would be a superb result (since I don't  get SKY)

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #73 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »
Must admit, I wasn't thinking about Sky.  Yes they'd have the money for Clarkson and a Top Gearalike show, but wouldn't be as loyal in the long run, I bet.

My Leftpondian friends seem to be well aware of Clarkson.

Available on BBC America and torrent.  So they have (at least) two versions of Top Gear.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #74 on: 11 March, 2015, 04:04:27 pm »
Sorry burst a bubble, but Fifth Gear, the last time I looked, is still alive (sort of) and shite, but on Discovery.

The problem any other broadcaster would have is that Aunty Beeb own the rights to the FORMAT.  Anything else, with or without Clarkson, would just be a pale imitation.

Unless, of course, Aunty shoots herself in the foot and sells the rights to the format at the same time.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State