Author Topic: Hipster meals thread of shame  (Read 10581 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Hipster meals thread of shame
« on: 16 May, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »
Can't be bothered cooking a proper meal, so I'm having a vegan protein shake, and I will follow it with kale crisps made with rapeseed oil, black sea salt and sumac.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Hipster meals thread of shame
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2016, 07:41:21 pm »
I had (instant) miso soup with seaweed and tofu in for lunch yesterday....

...but from a mug, not a jamjar or slipper or anything.  Does it still count?

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2016, 10:15:33 am »
I was on holiday in LA last week.

Spent a couple of days driving around eating at various food trucks and ethnic restaurants. Had aguachile from a food truck in Boyle Heights, followed by raspados and aguas frescas from the raspados place down the road, tacos from a tire shop in South Central, Sichuan food in the San Gabriel valley, and pork neck soup in Koreatown.

I'm not saying it was a total hipster fest but there were times, when all the clientele at the places apart from us were either suitably ethnic or had discs in their ears, thick rimmed glasses plus facial hair a la mode.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:32:49 pm »
Fish finger sandwiches seem to be making a comeback in east London pubs.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »
Before it closed down, Revolutions (of the many vodkas and vomiting teenagers fame) in Swindon did a "posh" fishfinger sandwich. Which is missing the point somewhat, non?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2016, 02:03:27 pm »
Heh, didn't one chain do those in Ciabatta?  (All Bar One?) 

Still kind of makes me  :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »
Bobb won't approve of that. He has strong feelings about sandwich fillings.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:00:03 am »
I was on holiday in LA last week.

Spent a couple of days driving around eating at various food trucks and ethnic restaurants. Had aguachile from a food truck in Boyle Heights, followed by raspados and aguas frescas from the raspados place down the road, tacos from a tire shop in South Central, Sichuan food in the San Gabriel valley, and pork neck soup in Koreatown.

I'm not saying it was a total hipster fest but there were times, when all the clientele at the places apart from us were either suitably ethnic or had discs in their ears, thick rimmed glasses plus facial hair a la mode.

I'm not sure I'd call Boyle Heights 'hipster.' That's where the Krazy Ass Mexicans face off Big Hazard. I love the food vans though. I got a tour courtesy of the LAPD. Apparently the gangs have their own favourite food trucks. There's a thing. You can't be a Krazy Ass Mexican and go get a taco from a van in Big Hazard's hood no matter how good the tacos are. Apparently, it's not possible to talk about gang culture in an English accent as I make it all sound like a tea party.

Fish finger sandwiches are also in LA. Though they have avocado on them. I pity the guy on the next table to us in a definitely hipster Venice Beach eatery who declared his allergy to be 'avocado'. Get the shit out of California.

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:24:36 am »
Boyle Heights definitely isn't hipster, (there was a shooting later on in the day that we visited, and it's fighting an admirable rearguard action against gentrification http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/19/los-angeles-la-gentrification-resistance-boyle-heights), but LA has a remarkable phenomenon of people addicted to street food, and eating in "authentic" locations. The food writer for the LA Times, Jonathan Gold has a list of the 101 best places to eat in LA, and it basically spans the geographic and economic divides of LA, and all the foodie/hipsters use it as their guide, along with yelp reviews.  There really is no good reason for us to go to south central to eat Cabeza tacos at midnight, other than to accept we're middle class, on holiday, and looking for nice food with an element of perceived danger. I've explored Asia, South America and Europe, and now all that's left is the economically low rent areas of the inner city. That being said it does work both ways, in the same way we were getting a thrill going round LA, our US based friend, expressed her joy at visiting Hounslow to sample the various ethnic foods there.

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:42:19 am »
Before it closed down, Revolutions (of the many vodkas and vomiting teenagers fame) in Swindon did a "posh" fishfinger sandwich. Which is missing the point somewhat, non?

It's okay if you say it's 'ironic'.  You might even get away with 'post-modern'.

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:54:01 am »

It's okay if you say it's 'ironic'.  You might even get away with 'post-modern'.

The next phase will be "authentic" versions of things like this. A fishfinger sandwich using Findus fishfingers and Motherspride bread with Heinz ketchup and Sarsons malt vinegar. It will be severed on a rusty trowel accompanied by Vimto in a jam jar: a bargain at £15.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »
£7.50 for a fish finger sandwich?!?  Sorry,  "Aspall Cyder battered line caught cod in a brioche bun, tartare sauce and fries (sic(k))". Other prices and descriptions similarly inflated. Glad I didn't plan to eat here - the  pint of cidre was expensive enough.
The Albany, Great Portland Street, London.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »
£7.50 for a fish finger sandwich?!?  Sorry,  "Aspall Cyder battered line caught cod in a brioche bun, tartare sauce and fries (sic(k))". Other prices and descriptions similarly inflated. Glad I didn't plan to eat here - the  pint of cidre was expensive enough.
The Albany, Great Portland Street, London.
Never trust a place that can't spell cider coider scrumpy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:32:29 pm »
I just ate tomato, borlotti bean and kale soup for my lunch-at-11-pm.

In my defence, this was because it was wearing a yellow sticker of joy at the M&S masquerading as a 24 hour audax control (or should that be the other way round) over the road.  And at least it had no seaweed in it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
Kale is seaweed! It's just adapted to life on land, like a prehistoric plant form that crept out of the primordial ocean.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrew

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:21:22 am »
Did fish finger sandwiches ever go out of fashion? Hmmm, yes, maybe. I guess it depends on the definition of 'fashion'. Perhaps something's 'in fashion' when fashionable people take to it. Doesn't mean, of course, that it wasn't popular - just not popular with a certain group of people.

I'm remembering the scene in 'Happy Valley', where Sarah Lancaster's character meets the factory boss man in a cafe. She orders a fish finger sandwich and he, as if remembering how delightful they are, orders one too - with not a hipster in sight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »
Fish fingers went downhill when they stopped using named fish.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »
One of the more popular former destinations for the random night random run to the pubbe did fish finger butties.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #18 on: 20 May, 2016, 03:12:45 am »
Boyle Heights definitely isn't hipster, (there was a shooting later on in the day that we visited, and it's fighting an admirable rearguard action against gentrification http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/19/los-angeles-la-gentrification-resistance-boyle-heights), but LA has a remarkable phenomenon of people addicted to street food, and eating in "authentic" locations. The food writer for the LA Times, Jonathan Gold has a list of the 101 best places to eat in LA, and it basically spans the geographic and economic divides of LA, and all the foodie/hipsters use it as their guide, along with yelp reviews.  There really is no good reason for us to go to south central to eat Cabeza tacos at midnight, other than to accept we're middle class, on holiday, and looking for nice food with an element of perceived danger. I've explored Asia, South America and Europe, and now all that's left is the economically low rent areas of the inner city. That being said it does work both ways, in the same way we were getting a thrill going round LA, our US based friend, expressed her joy at visiting Hounslow to sample the various ethnic foods there.

I was lucky enough to get the gangs and street food tour in an LAPD cruiser as a ride-along (my friend is a lieutenant). An interesting experience, more so I suspect than riding around Hounslow in a panda car. I had to explain to the large group of heavily tattooed hispanic gentlemen that no, I didn't in fact know any London gangs, sorry. My accent is 'kinda cute'.

My wife prefers to stay in Santa Monica because she's scaredy. Wait till she finds out I'm planning to take her to Kinshasa later this year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »

I was lucky enough to get the gangs and street food tour in an LAPD cruiser as a ride-along (my friend is a lieutenant). An interesting experience, more so I suspect than riding around Hounslow in a panda car. I had to explain to the large group of heavily tattooed hispanic gentlemen that no, I didn't in fact know any London gangs, sorry. My accent is 'kinda cute'.

My wife prefers to stay in Santa Monica because she's scaredy. Wait till she finds out I'm planning to take her to Kinshasa later this year.

I'd be happier in Kinshasa than LA.  Last time I was there my colleague was pointing out the Rodney King riot hotspots, right next to two refineries.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »
...expressed her joy at visiting Hounslow...
Now there's a phrase I never expected to encounter.  You are Alan Bennet AICMFP.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 20 May, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »
...expressed her joy at visiting Hounslow...
Now there's a phrase I never expected to encounter.  You are Alan Bennet AICMFP.

After returning from Tokyo via Beijing and Karachi on PIA, Dr Larrington's chum L looked out of the window on final approach to LHR and slurred1 "Look!  Ish Hounshlow!  Never thought I'd be glad to shee Hounshlow!"

1: In the halcyon pre-11/9 days of being allowed to take liquids on aeroplanes, they had a couple of big plastic soft-drink bottles.  One containing tonic and the other gin.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:16:41 am »

I'd be happier in Kinshasa than LA.  Last time I was there my colleague was pointing out the Rodney King riot hotspots, right next to two refineries.

I like LA, but it's not to everyone's taste. I've never been to Kinshasa, though I'd like to (and it seems someone might pay, though probably best to stay out of DR Congo in November), though the food in LA will be a lot better.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:08:36 pm »
I had (instant) miso soup with seaweed and tofu in for lunch yesterday....

...but from a mug, not a jamjar or slipper or anything.  Does it still count?

No, as the resepeticle must be in appropriate such as a liebig condenser.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:09:44 pm »

Oi fish finger sandwich is a bastion of society and I still enjoy one now and again.