Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Asterix, the former Gaul. on Today at 03:27:02 pm »
Fitted a sealed octalink BB to the Zwift project.  Unfortunately the cheapskate mid 80s builder used a pop rivet to fix the cable guide. I tried filing this to make room for the BB unit (it used to have cup and ball race BB) but decided to do the job properly and fit a new guide with a bolt. 
OT Knowledge / Re: rainwater harvesting
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 02:39:24 pm »
https://enduramaxx.co.uk/tanks/enduramaxx-water-tanks/slimline-water-tanks/

Try these guys, I used to deal with them but going back around 10 years now. Ernest Does used to be a good supplier for them. Littleport would i guess be your neck of woods

Yes, once other things are off the more important List, Ernest Does are just up the road.
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 02:38:42 pm »
Whilst these are all good engineering solutions, I'm still coming back to the "why" i.e. why the top overflow stopped working, which I think is coming back to the alignment caused by possible aging.  One or other of these solutions is likely to be useful in soem way though

Two possibilities I can suggest, blocked by leaves and other debris or a build up of biological slime. I would suggest if you can access it cleaning your top link.

However remember that a top link can only fill the second tank once the first is full, unless your inlet feeds both tanks and the overflow link is only there to correct an imbalance, if this is the case then check your inlet system that takes the water from the downpipe as that is probably blocked to the tank that isn't filling.

First tank is filling, but it was not for some reason quite getting to the level of the overflow to tank 2, pipes are all clear, tested with a hose.  Hence my visual investigation and noticing of the alignment.
The Knowledge / Re: Bike Shipping Recommendations.
« Last post by Frank9755 on Today at 02:38:23 pm »
There isn't really an easy way to do this, unfortunately.  Bikes are basically big, awkward but fragile parcels and it costs a fair bit to ship them around the place.

There are three European road parcels networks: DPD, GLS and FedEx.  Your bike will go on one of them.  Sendbike will have a pretty website and some logo-covered boxes but the core of their business involves being a reseller on behalf of carriers, a bit like Parcel2Go, SevenSenders, ParcelMonkey and loads of others. They will negotiate deals with one or more of the above to provide a service.  The core of the service will be transporting your bike from door to door. That bit is fixed.  But there are other elements, like customer service (or lack thereof), insurance, providing boxes and packaging materials, etc, which they can play around with and offer their own variations of in place of the carrier's default service.

Their business involves three main things:
- buying space on the carrier network/s in bulk at a price that is cheaper enough than the carriers would sell to you, after they have added their margin
- reengineering the variable bits of the service to increase their margin - which may involve saving money by giving lower service (I am not saying they do this - I don't have any specific knowledge)
- marketing their service cost-effectively.  I expect focusing on niches like bikes might help here.

You could try getting direct quotes from DHL, GLS/Parcelforce and FedEx to cut out the middle man. They'll probably be more expensive as you don't have any volume to justify a discount, but they might offer better insurance cover, and answer the phone if your bike doesn't show up.  Of course, most times your bike will show up undamaged and on time so this won't matter.  Or you could look for alternatives to Sendbike, ie other resellers.  But they will basically be doing the same thing, so there's no reason why they would be any better or cheaper.  There isn't anyone running a fleet of transit vans round Europe taking bikes from place to place!

I hope yours works out well!

Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 02:06:58 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 05/21:
*27/27 words (+3 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 16% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 30

I played https://squaredle.com/xp 05/21:
*18/18 words (+3 bonus words)
🎯 Perfect accuracy
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by spesh on Today at 02:02:50 pm »
Four Seasons in One Day - Crowded House
« Last post by Robh on Today at 01:58:00 pm »
A Message To You Rudy - Dandy Livingstone
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 01:50:11 pm »
Not Your Bottle - Dandy Warhols
« Last post by The Family Cyclist on Today at 01:49:15 pm »
https://enduramaxx.co.uk/tanks/enduramaxx-water-tanks/slimline-water-tanks/

Try these guys, I used to deal with them but going back around 10 years now. Ernest Does used to be a good supplier for them. Littleport would i guess be your neck of woods
Ride Reports / Re: Dumbarton to Corrour
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Today at 01:43:18 pm »
yes I've walked corrour to spean bridge and it was a good day out going as far as the lairig leacach bothy.

Those uninviting private signs need more map investigation before writing them off.
Is it curtilage? if not then the private sign is only legitimately applied to motorized vehicles but some of the estates like trying to scare people off, much to the annoyance of the estates that follow the rules as well as the general populace.

I'm sure there's a rideable route down to Tulloch station but the easiest route out of corrour is to follow the tracks the owners maintain down to the A86 and then you can spin to tulloch, spean bridge or fort william.

The corrieyairack definitly wants knoblies and low gears.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10