Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 444421 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3400 on: 31 October, 2022, 07:59:38 pm »

His UK photo licence, that he could have exchanged for a German one within his first 6 months in Germany, for the princely sum of €40 (plus attending a first aid course) has expired. And guess what, you can’t renew it unless you’re a resident in the UK. And have to provide the addresses you’ve lived at for t the last 3 years.  ::-)  So now he’s stuck x hoping to be able to use his paper licence to hire a car.

Swapping a UK license for a Dutch one was free. No first aid course required.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3401 on: 01 November, 2022, 07:59:02 am »
When I did it the first-aid course was only one day. It'd probably be easier to do it and have everything in Ordnung than faff about with other people's addresses etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3402 on: 01 November, 2022, 08:23:16 am »
When I did it the first-aid course was only one day. It'd probably be easier to do it and have everything in Ordnung than faff about with other people's addresses etc.

The issue being, if you're not UK resident, you can't renew your UK licence - hence the need for a UK address for the last 3 years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3403 on: 01 November, 2022, 09:20:31 am »

The issue being, if you're not UK resident, you can't renew your UK licence - hence the need for a UK address for the last 3 years.

Ah. UK licences expire, then. Ours are for life.

« Reply #3404 on: 01 November, 2022, 09:23:07 am »

Yep, Photocard ones expire every 10 years until you pass 70, then I think it's every 3.  From what I googled it seems German ones are valid for 15 years.  Does France not have renewable photocard licences then?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3405 on: 01 November, 2022, 12:27:15 pm »
France does have Carte d'identité, I'm curious to know if they are now plastic, so depriving hordes of traders of the plastification that was a common feature of any market

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3406 on: 01 November, 2022, 12:58:48 pm »

Yep, Photocard ones expire every 10 years until you pass 70, then I think it's every 3.  From what I googled it seems German ones are valid for 15 years.  Does France not have renewable photocard licences then?

Unless they've been changing things behind my back they still don't expire.  But we've always had photos on our licences. According to Google they've been plastic, chipped & MRZed since 2013.

France does have Carte d'identité, I'm curious to know if they are now plastic, so depriving hordes of traders of the plastification that was a common feature of any market

Yes, they're plastic, as have been Cartes de Séjour for the past 30 or 40 years.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3407 on: 01 November, 2022, 06:19:33 pm »
Well that was embarrassing.
I just collapsed in a heap in the pub.  :-[
Nothing to do the pint I was consuming, honest.
I'd been sitting with my legs crossed and a wallet full of coins in my back pocket. Jumped up look at something someone wanted to show me on their phone and only realised my leg had gone completely dead as I toppled over.
Much hilarity ensued, along with all the expected comments.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3408 on: 01 November, 2022, 07:07:33 pm »
Be careful! A friend managed to break her arm doing something very similar (only she wasn't in the pub).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3409 on: 04 November, 2022, 09:39:40 pm »
In a rush earlier on in the week, I failed to heed the saying “measure twice, cut once”.   I also must have been half asleep.  Result, the spare spokes that I bought to allow me to replace the two broken ones on my gravel bike are exactly 10mm short!   :facepalm:

« Reply #3410 on: 07 November, 2022, 08:16:32 pm »
Well that was embarrassing.
I just collapsed in a heap in the pub.  :-[
Nothing to do the pint I was consuming, honest.
I'd been sitting with my legs crossed and a wallet full of coins in my back pocket. Jumped up look at something someone wanted to show me on their phone and only realised my leg had gone completely dead as I toppled over.
Much hilarity ensued, along with all the expected comments.

Was once in a pub with a group most of whom smoked. Several went for a smoke, some went to bar and maybe someone went for a piss leaving me at the table alone. I reclined in my chair forgetting I was in a stool.

Fell backwards but feet hit the table so I'm laid flat with legs under table and arse still on the stool. Sat myself up and looked round crowded pub and somehow no one had noticed

« Reply #3411 on: 07 November, 2022, 10:07:26 pm »
Perhaps people falling over in pubs is not totally unknown.  :-D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3412 on: 08 November, 2022, 10:12:42 am »
In a rush earlier on in the week, I failed to heed the saying “measure twice, cut once”.   I also must have been half asleep.  Result, the spare spokes that I bought to allow me to replace the two broken ones on my gravel bike are exactly 10mm short!   :facepalm:
so in fact, you measured once and cut twice?  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3413 on: 08 November, 2022, 10:17:22 am »
Perhaps people falling over in pubs is not totally unknown.  :-D
I once demonstrated a parachute landing roll while in a pub, without bothering to get up from the stool I was sitting on. The lady I was performing this demonstration for, was not it turned out, at all impressed with my manly manness. women still remain a mystery to me :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3414 on: 09 November, 2022, 11:44:38 am »
Back is cramping.
Sitting in the way on my office floor is one of those back roller things - a polystyrene cylinder you are supposed to use under your back.

I give it a go, position it below shoulder blades, roll one way, then the other - OW

I've just rolled it over my hair.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3415 on: 09 November, 2022, 01:41:19 pm »
I remember hair.

« Reply #3416 on: 11 November, 2022, 01:16:34 am »
please do, i have no issue with veggie food, quite like it a lot of the time and have definitely cut back on meat in the last few years.

Just please, please do not call things like this https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/bacon-style-slices "vegetarian bacon" it's either bacon or it isn't  >:(

What's your stance on peanut butter?

« Reply #3417 on: 11 November, 2022, 01:42:42 am »
Just please, please do not call things like this https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/bacon-style-slices "vegetarian bacon" it's either bacon or it isn't  >:(

Well, at least it's made from peanuts. If vegetarian bacon was made from vegetarians that would be an entirely different matter.

« Reply #3418 on: 11 November, 2022, 07:31:14 am »

Well, at least it's made from peanuts. If vegetarian bacon was made from vegetarians that would be an entirely different matter.

Have to be vegetarian pigs. Otherwise it would be as daft as "turkey bacon".

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3419 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:32:06 am »

Have to be vegetarian pigs. Otherwise it would be as daft as "turkey bacon".

Or 'breakfast beef' as I used to see in the Middle East......

ian

« Reply #3420 on: 11 November, 2022, 10:46:29 am »
Infidel bacon, as my not-very-observant Muslim colleague used to call porcine bacon.

« Reply #3421 on: 11 November, 2022, 05:27:51 pm »
All this said, I honestly don't mind the idea that facon is known as vegetarian bacon. Bacon has its literal, cured-pork type definition, but it also has cultural, culinary identity related to the role it plays in a meal.

So if it's there purely to play the role traditionally taken by cured pork, but is suitable for vegetarian, why not call it vegetarian bacon? Everyone knows and understands what it is, and can eat it or leave it as they choose. It just seems a lot simpler and easier than having to call it a non-meat savoury breakfast strip.

If it starts to just be called bacon, and you run the risk of getting it when you want something that tastes like meat, then fair enough - pain in the arse. Like getting a sickly pink alcopop when you've ordered cider. But as long as it badges itself as "strawberry cider" or what the chuff ever, I'll know to avoid it.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3422 on: 11 November, 2022, 06:49:36 pm »
Infidel bacon, as my not-very-observant Muslim colleague used to call porcine bacon.

;D ;D ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3423 on: 12 November, 2022, 12:08:50 am »
I don’t care what people call vegan or vegetarian bacon substitute as long as they don’t try and feed it to me!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3424 on: 12 November, 2022, 08:30:29 am »
I tried some veggie charcuterie the other day and it was OK. Veggie merguez, though, are vile.

As was the real bacon I tried to fry two nights back. Instead of providing its own fat it provided lots of water and boiled itself. :sick: