Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 444506 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4125 on: 29 November, 2023, 07:21:02 pm »

Key cards aren't always a better option. I've stayed in one hotel where we discovered that the key cards opened every door. Not just your room.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4126 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:40:15 pm »
There’s a lot to be said for big clunky keyrings with the room number heavily engraved I large friendly fonts.

I used to stay quite frequently in one of the big hotels in Bloomsbury, London, where the room keys were attached to metal rod about 40cm long - making it rather difficult to leave the building with the key.

To my shame I have a heavy brass key fob for my house keys - purloined from a hotel in the Loire Valley in 1978!

Stayed in one in Falkirk like that, OK until you want to go for a run and decide whether better to carry it with you or leave it at the reception and then present yourself in a post run dishevelment to ask for it back
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4127 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:56:18 pm »
There’s a lot to be said for big clunky keyrings with the room number heavily engraved I large friendly fonts.

I used to stay quite frequently in one of the big hotels in Bloomsbury, London, where the room keys were attached to metal rod about 40cm long - making it rather difficult to leave the building with the key.

To my shame I have a heavy brass key fob for my house keys - purloined from a hotel in the Loire Valley in 1978!

Stayed in one in Falkirk like that, OK until you want to go for a run and decide whether better to carry it with you or leave it at the reception and then present yourself in a post run dishevelment to ask for it back
You deserve all the ridicule you kno doubt received if you went running at such northerly latitudes.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4128 on: 29 November, 2023, 11:13:51 pm »
I've run much further north than that, Hammerfest in late November

Furthest south, probably Christchurch (the one in NZ, not Sussex)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4129 on: 30 November, 2023, 03:49:47 pm »
I've run much further north than that, Hammerfest in late November

Furthest south, probably Christchurch (the one in NZ, not Sussex)

Dorset for the non-divs amongst us.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4130 on: 04 December, 2023, 01:23:15 pm »
Got most of the way to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just now before realising I'd left my wallet at home.

Currently thawing out fingers before trying again, with both wallet and long-sleeved gloves.

Edit: and now it’s bastard raining  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4131 on: 04 December, 2023, 03:44:51 pm »
In 1985 I bought a sound system: twin cassette decks, radio, turntable and the then-new CD player. I normally have R3 on all day when at home, and two days ago it stopped working.

'Arse', I thought. 'Well, had a good life!'

This morning, while twiddling the dial trying to find a working station, I realised I had accidentally switched it from FM to LW.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4132 on: 04 December, 2023, 06:39:07 pm »
I did similar. We have 2 led uplighters in our lounge. One of them suddenly stopped being properly bright. The hat was a few weeks ago and I was getting hassle about replacing it. Last night I suddenly thought “what happens if I hold the on/off button?” 
Lo and behold, full light is restored!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4133 on: 04 December, 2023, 07:43:35 pm »
We were set to replace the hi-fi amplifier at Fort Larrington until it was discovered that Janet the Cleaner had dusted it so vigorously that the input selector was now pointed at “Phono” so natch it wouldn’t channel R3 to the squeakers.

« Reply #4134 on: 04 December, 2023, 09:26:54 pm »
Got most of the way to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just now before realising I'd left my wallet at home.

Currently thawing out fingers before trying again, with both wallet and long-sleeved gloves.

No smartphone with a wallet?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4135 on: 05 December, 2023, 12:53:31 am »

No smartphone with a wallet?

(Roffles)

No.  And while the wallet with payment cards in was on the kitchen table, the phone without payment wossnames was on, er, the coffee table in the Great Hall.  Because I'm one of the vanishingly few people who doesn’t feel the need to have a phone with them at all times.

« Reply #4136 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:48:55 am »
Both MrsC and I.

Neither of us thought to check when dog's topup vaccinations were due (I really blame MrsC, since she took him for his original shots).

We need to put him in kennels for xmas. One teeny tiny problem; vaccinations have run out and the vets are so busy they can't fit him in until Jan 15th!

Going to have to take the bloody animal with us.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4137 on: 06 December, 2023, 06:15:17 pm »
Both MrsC and I.

Neither of us thought to check when dog's topup vaccinations were due (I really blame MrsC, since she took him for his original shots).

We need to put him in kennels for xmas. One teeny tiny problem; vaccinations have run out and the vets are so busy they can't fit him in until Jan 15th!

Last year we were told by our vet there was a shortage of (feline) vaccines and ours weren't getting done in 12m  but as long as it was by 15 it would be fine (which I checked with our cattery owner and she was fine with) so you might want to check with your kennels if they can be flexible.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #4138 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:04:00 pm »
For cats, there's a month or so leeway on the vaccinations, ours were exempted as we didn't get around to getting them jabbed before our last holiday (mostly because we booked it two days before we left).

« Reply #4139 on: 07 December, 2023, 08:26:01 am »
Both MrsC and I.

Last year we were told by our vet there was a shortage of (feline) vaccines and ours weren't getting done in 12m  but as long as it was by 15 it would be fine (which I checked with our cattery owner and she was fine with) so you might want to check with your kennels if they can be flexible.
Sadly, we are outside the 15months.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4140 on: 07 December, 2023, 10:18:43 am »
Both MrsC and I.

You know that rant about writing things on calendars.....

IGMC.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4141 on: 07 December, 2023, 11:41:10 am »
Both MrsC and I.

You know that rant about writing things on calendars.....

IGMC.
yes, well, maybe it isn't a coincidence that the person responsible for the vaccinations (and forgetting about the topup) is also the same person who was going to just spout a list of dates at me (without writing them down).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4142 on: 13 December, 2023, 11:11:14 am »
I buy my ticket for the commute using the Southeastern trains phone app. It's really easy and convenient - I can leave the buying until the last minute and use Apple pay so it's just a quick double-click at the checkout to make the payment, no faffing with entering card details.

This morning, I accidentally selected a single ticket rather than a return but fortunately noticed before paying so went back and started again.

It was only once I'd clicked to pay that I noticed the price was about double what I was expecting to pay, but it was already too late to stop the payment going through.

What I'd done was forget to remove the erroneous single ticket from my basket. (The price of a single is only about a pound less than the return, which is nuts but that's a rant for another thread.)

Argh! I can claim a refund on the erroneous ticket but there's a £10 admin fee.

Note to self: buy your ticket the day before in future, don't leave it until you're just about to set off, when you're a) in a tizz because you overslept this morning and thus rushing to get out of the house in time, and b) still bleary-eyed because the morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4143 on: 13 December, 2023, 03:34:10 pm »
Me, yesterday.  Why did I wait until after school chuck out to pick up my prescription? Roads - full. Patience on display - nil.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

citoyen

« Reply #4144 on: 13 December, 2023, 04:05:26 pm »
Me, yesterday.  Why did I wait until after school chuck out to pick up my prescription? Roads - full. Patience on display - nil.

I did exactly the same a couple of weeks ago. Absolute bloody nightmare. I would have cycled into town but my I'd forgotten to charge up the battery and CBA to ride a non-assisted bike so drove. Stupid mistake.

Having not been a parent of a school-age child for many years and usually being at my desk at that time, I tend to forget what the roads can be like.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4145 on: 14 December, 2023, 11:12:05 am »
I would have cycled into town but my I'd forgotten to charge up the battery and CBA to ride a non-assisted bike so drove.
What is this? The audaxing legend, former cycling journo of great renown and time triallist of minor anecdote, Citoyen, sometime known as Smudge (or was it Splodge?), reduced to riding an electrically assisted pedal cycle? Lo! How the mighty are fallen! Hark! At the lamentations of F.T. Bidlake, Henri Desgranges and Vecchio Joe! The end of times and the end of time itself is upon us, and the Great Gods of the Big Ring and the Fixed Cog shall rain down upon us a plague of thorns!

(I'm in no position to criticise as it's months since I've ridden more than about two miles.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #4146 on: 14 December, 2023, 11:31:14 am »
I don't recognise this person you're describing! (I could hardly be considered an audaxing legend with barely a couple of SRs to my name - more of an audaxing myth.)

Anyway, the e-bike is so convenient for those short errands and the commute. It's about using a bike as transport rather than for leisure/fitness/sport purposes. Plus ICBA to get one of the other bikes out of the garage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4147 on: 14 December, 2023, 08:02:28 pm »
Bike as transport is something I'm very much in favour of. And I'll admit to sometimes wishing I could justify an e-cargo bike (or cargo e-bike, I suppose, as the bike is electric not the cargo) but I really don't need one, don't have anywhere to store one and can't afford one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4148 on: 15 December, 2023, 02:41:50 pm »
a cargo bike is on my wish list when we move back to our own home and I am retired as it will enable me to get to a really good supermarket without using the car.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4149 on: 15 December, 2023, 04:19:14 pm »
Did a bunch of fiddling with SQR blocks etc. then looked in my records from last year and that I'd already tried it and it didn't work.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight