Author Topic: 2012 - Your photographic projects for the year  (Read 16984 times)

inc

Re: 2012 - Your photographic projects for the year
« Reply #50 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
summary of my latest 'shoot'   :)   (with model, hair, makeup and clothes borrowed from a shop in cambridge)

I really like the second pic,

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
I strongly prefer the second one although the plane of focus seems to be on the hat decoration rather than the eyes.  I assume it was shot wide open, in which case the DOF is going to be non-existent with a 90mm.  Hard to tell without the original size.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #52 on: 27 February, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »
I strongly prefer the second one although the plane of focus seems to be on the hat decoration rather than the eyes.  I assume it was shot wide open, in which case the DOF is going to be non-existent with a 90mm.  Hard to tell without the original size.

you're right, the focus is fractionally in front of her eyes - I recon her eyelashes are sharp, eyeball not quite there, and her left eye is quite a long way out.  Damn the autofocus that picked up the hat thing instead of her eye, I should have spotted it at the time too (is with a canon 24-70 at 54mm, f2.8)

rogerzilla

« Reply #53 on: 27 February, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »
Should have used the Leica  :)

Convention (don't ask why, but it works) is always to focus on the nearest eye if you can't get them both sharp, but you probably know that.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #54 on: 27 February, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »

you're right, the focus is fractionally in front of her eyes - I recon her eyelashes are sharp, eyeball not quite there, and her left eye is quite a long way out.  Damn the autofocus that picked up the hat thing instead of her eye, I should have spotted it at the time too (is with a canon 24-70 at 54mm, f2.8)

Auto AF Area Mode? Nooo!
Couple of really strong shots in that selection Mike, you should be proud.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #55 on: 28 February, 2012, 12:13:56 am »
I'll be trying something for my first ride on a Boris Bike on Monday. I have sorted out the remote trigger, the superclamp and the ultrawide zoom, and will navigate the streets of London with a camera taking many pictures between Euston and Liverpool Street. Anyone want to join in the ride I'll be leaving Euston as soon as the Sleeper gets in at about 7.45.

..d

Well it wasn't quite as planned. The mount was mostly secure but studio clamps aren't very good in a vibration environment (and it was certainly vibrating. Shutter speed was deliberately slow and it was difficult to rearrange the camera/tighten screws etc on the move, navigate and still make reasonable progress.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

I think a magic arm would help get a better angle.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 28 February, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
My second project is to join up with some other photographers in real life to share knowledge, get constructive criticism and go on some group shoots. 

A bit of an update - as February comes to a close, I've been on a number of studio and location shoots - mainly through the Strobist Flickr groups.

This is a colleague from work who came with me to model on location:

Alicja 2 by lyope, on Flickr

This was shot in a studio on a white infinity curve during a lighting workshop:

Stefanie by lyope, on Flickr

Here's some low key work with a beauty dish and a bit of crosslighting:

Keith by lyope, on Flickr

I've not been neglecting my stranger project, either.  There are more in the can that I need to process, but here's one of my recent favourites:

Stranger #13 by lyope, on Flickr
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #57 on: 28 February, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
really nice lighting on all three of those, aunty C, top work!!   Especially the one of Keith, really, really impressive.

I've just finished my first studio shoot this afternoon, none of this 'workshop' nonsense, just hire local studio, turn up and wing it with model and makeup friend, so had a fun afternoon with paper, lights and ladders! (which probably explains why the lighting is almost identical for all of them... need to think more about it for next time!)

WP3P6056 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

WP3P6024 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

WP3P5772 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

(all straight off the SD card.. photoshopping starts tomorrow!)

David Martin

« Reply #58 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »
Rosie the riveter?

David Martin

« Reply #59 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:25:41 am »
Night time proved a bit better till the focus shifted.

0.5 sec exposure with rear curtain sync for the on-board flash.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #60 on: 29 February, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »
If anyone would like to hire a studio in Manchester then you're more than welcome to PM me for a recommendation.

I need to rejuvenate my project soon.. I miss taking pictures for pleasure!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »
I'm starting to shoot bands now.  Here's a couple from Friday night that I did with an up and coming rock outfit called Your Mind Is A Weapon:

YMIAW 3 by lyope, on Flickr

YMIAW 4 by lyope, on Flickr

« Reply #62 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »
Good stuff Charlotte - how do you generally get your band photo sessions?  Advertise or friends etc/word of mouth?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »
This one was through Gumtree.  Stick an ad up and let people know you're happy to work TF.  Seems to do the trick if they can see your portfolio online somewhere.

rogerzilla

« Reply #64 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:47:18 pm »
I'd like to shoot One Direction.

I wouldn't use a camera.

« Reply #65 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »
C, wos "work TF"?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #66 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:51:24 pm »
Takes me back. My intro to serious (cough cough) photography was in the seventies, in the Hope & Anchor, when I had a Yashica TL-Electro-X (Vertical shutter=less vibration) with a 1.2 50mm lens. Used to work a lot with ne w bands, and then there were the big bands that came there to warm up before big gigs. Unfortunately all my gear including negs got nicked, so I no longer have any pics of the Stones taken from 6ft away......

Love the backlit halo on the top image.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #68 on: 28 March, 2012, 09:07:32 am »
anyone shot a fashion show before?  Got a [lightly paid] gig on saturday from the boutique I've borrowed clothes from in the past [slightly scared smiley]

It's in the store, which isnt very big but they're bringing in some extra lights so I'm thinking 24-70 (on a full frame body), speedlight mounted on camera for fill, lots of spare SD cards!   I might bring my old crop sensor body too, with an 85 prime or even the 80-200 for a bit of variety and backup.

any other suggestions?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #69 on: 28 March, 2012, 09:13:44 am »
Find out if they are having a dress rehearsal (or at least a lighting check) and go to that for a trial run.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #70 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:00:09 am »
Lighting rehearsal is a good time to get levels.

Find out where the follow spots will be.  They may not be used at a lighting plot or run through, and will massively affect the amount of light on the main subjects.
Getting there...

« Reply #71 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:13:46 am »
if a follow spot is what i think it is, there arent going to be any, just static lights. 

The rehearsal is thursday afternoon when I'm supposed to be in a meeting... so it's just as well friday is my last day here and I dont give a damn about missing it!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #72 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:21:16 am »
Unusual to have no spots at all at a fashion show.  Are you sure?
Getting there...

« Reply #73 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:46:10 am »
follow spot is normally manned by someone to follow the model, isnt it?  the lighting for this will all be static (I think!)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:13:33 am »
Yes, that's right.  Designers love them because they bring the focus of attention subtly (or not so subtly, depending on LD & FSP) to the wonderful creation they want to showcase that moment, and can lift the levels and colours effectively.

Static lighting seems odd.  The trend has been for more dynamic displays in recent years.  Again, a bit of drama helps psychologically.
Getting there...