Author Topic: 12DOC - Day 1  (Read 1225 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
12DOC - Day 1
« on: 26 December, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »
OK, here is my effort to kick things off. The local boxing day TT. Shooting TT's  with a superwide zoom is not my usual thing, but I knew where I could find a puddle and a parking space.  Two flashes, one head on and one on the side. Balance against the sky.

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: 12DOC - Day 1
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »
I knew where I could find a large pack of very friendly doggies on Boxing Day, so I just bunged on the ultrawide lens and got right in the middle of them. I got covered in muddy paw prints up to my shoulders and my lens has nose prints on it.  ::-)

Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
David,
I can't see your photo for some reason - are ur privacy settings on Flickr okay? Your description has whetted my appetite.

Kathy,
I'm a sucker for anything featuring dogs - nice sharp focusing

Not much time to do this today, not sure I'll manage all twelve days either but here's my opener:

Flood Plain - Colour by afasoas, on Flickr

This was captured after dusk. It's a 30 second exposure at f/8.0, ISO1100. The light sources are moonlight, the moon situated just out up and to the left of frame - that's what's bringing out the nice, subtle and glimmering highlights on the left of the trees and in the lower left of the image. There was just enough street lighting from around and about bouncing off the passing clouds in order to light the rest of the scene. The colours mainly brought about by white balance adjustment and some subtle split toning in Light Room. I was stood with the tripod in three inches of water - feet getting quite sodden - to get this composition.

I'm not terrifically happy with it, but squeezed in a midst a backlog of image editing and preparations to photograph a wedding tomorrow, it's not a bad little effort.

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »
The picture is public so should be visible.  Never tried split toning - I'll take a look at it.

« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »
one from the fens on my ride to lunch at the dad's:

(I cant see yours either, David)

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
The picture is public so should be visible.  Never tried split toning - I'll take a look at it.

Ahh, I can see it when I click through. Good idea capturing the reflection.
I don't know why, but for some reason Mike that reminds me of Fargo. Has a very 'desolate' feel about it.

« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »
I can see David's on my iPhone - are people suffering from Adblocks?

Afasoas - nice flood. Where is it? I was planning on flood-chasing later in the week, if the road are open.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

David Martin

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2012, 10:53:35 pm »
The floods have subsided locally. One of the club was up to his chest on the way to the Christmas lunch (it was waist deep till he was hit by the bow wave from a tractor.) However, they have revealed a lot of loose gravel and potholes. Had an interesting experience at the bottom of Slatey Brae where the road was covered with gravel on a fast right hand bend.. I was looking for a soft landing but made it round upright.

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2012, 12:19:45 am »

Boxing day candle by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2012, 12:40:59 am »
Discovered my camera is still on BST, so at the moment photo EXIF currently saying my photo will be taken in ~10 mins time...   ::-)  :) 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson