Author Topic: things i don't understand  (Read 24314 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: things i don't understand
« Reply #125 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:22:01 am »
Or a Paul Simon song.

Or an Elton John song
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #126 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:25:35 pm »
And come to think of it, we wouldn't have had "In Bruges" either.

A great day this has turned out to be. I'm suicidal, me mate tries to kill me, me gun gets nicked and we're still in fucking Bruges.

Midgets?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #127 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:28:13 pm »
To re ignite the red bull comments, vodka and red bull are great, so is gin and red bull, whiskey and red bull not so much.  Wasn't it a phase for a while to consume these sugary caffeinated drinks to be able to drink more and still feel not as drunk?

« Reply #128 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:33:32 pm »
To re ignite the red bull comments, vodka and red bull are great, so is gin and red bull, whiskey and red bull not so much.  Wasn't it a phase for a while to consume these sugary caffeinated drinks to be able to drink more and still feel not as drunk?

No, it was to be able to drink more and get even more drunk than would be possible otherwise.

Edd

« Reply #129 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:39:13 pm »

I have a friend who likes to buy rounds of Jagerbombs [shudder]. I'm pretty sure mixing alcohol with high caffeine energy drinks is banned in some countries because of the health risks of mixing stimulants with depressants.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #130 on: 22 May, 2019, 12:42:12 pm »

No, it was to be able to drink more and get even more drunk than would be possible otherwise.

Ah spend more money.....

I have a friend who likes to buy rounds of Jagerbombs [shudder]. I'm pretty sure mixing alcohol with high caffeine energy drinks is banned in some countries because of the health risks of mixing stimulants with depressants.

Doesn't that even it out ;)

What happened to drinking espresso with a shot of grappa?

ian

« Reply #131 on: 22 May, 2019, 02:24:07 pm »
Sitting in Caffe Nero the other day, my eye was drawn to a sign proclaiming ESPRESSO AND TONIC.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #132 on: 22 May, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »
Sitting in Caffe Nero the other day, my eye was drawn to a sign proclaiming ESPRESSO AND TONIC.

:sick: :jurek:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #133 on: 22 May, 2019, 03:47:41 pm »
Espresso with a shot of grappa is a Cafe Corretto (correcting coffee) and is partiucalrly helpful before work, it seems. I honeymooned on Sicily and would regularly see Italian gents at the coffee shop on their way to teh office with a large something as we made our mid-morning break.

I think I tried it once or twice, and approved, but I was on holiday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #134 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:10:45 pm »

Goes well with a nice dish of peaches and carrots.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #135 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:03:43 pm »

Goes well with a nice dish of peaches and carrots.

Peaches and carrots would be fine in both sweet and savoury dishes.

« Reply #136 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:09:12 pm »
Not sure about peaches in savoury dishes - it's not something I've ever come across - but apricots in a curry or tagine is most definitely a thing.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #137 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:28:21 pm »
Not sure about peaches in savoury dishes - it's not something I've ever come across - but apricots in a curry or tagine is most definitely a thing.

Well quite!
Peaches don't have a very strong flavour and would hardly be noticed. Pineapple in many savouries is definitely A Thing.

I have bulked up meat stews with dead fruit without complaint.

« Reply #138 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:35:20 pm »
I do a variant on a Waldorf salad with peach, celery and walnut, very nice it is, too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #139 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:25:50 pm »
"What's a Waldorf anyway? A walnut that's gone off?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #140 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:45:35 pm »
I do a variant on a Waldorf salad with peach, celery and walnut, very nice it is, too.

Much as I'm not overfond of Waldorf salad, that sound's really good.

« Reply #141 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »
"What's a Waldorf anyway? A walnut that's gone off?"

It's what you put in a salad when you've used up all of Statler.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #142 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:55:24 pm »
"Sorry. We're fresh out of waldorfs"
Basil Fawlty
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #143 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:26:07 pm »
It does cause some strange looks, but it is actually a rather nice combo. Do bear in mind that I've been making it for ... oh my ....  close to 50 years, and it was probably a sight more innovative when I first served it. Thinking back, I started off using tinned peaches. Ring the changes with proportions of Mayo, yoghurt, lemon, lime juice, don't overcomplicate.

« Reply #144 on: 29 June, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »
Things I don’t understand: advertisements - You interrupt something I am enjoying with exaggerated claims (or sometimes just irrelevant singing/dancing) about a product I don’t want, and some how you think this will encourage me to desire it?
How do you expect that to work?
I mentally blacklist things I see advertising for!
However, I suspect it might be the end of civilisation if everyone did the same...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #145 on: 30 June, 2019, 05:11:05 pm »
Why some ointments are aerated and some aren't. Marketing ploy?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #146 on: 30 June, 2019, 05:42:09 pm »
I don't think I've had any aerated ointments but my use of all skin potions is scant.

I know cheap 'ice cream' is >50% gas by volume, which makes it bulky, cheap, fairly low-calorie & low-sugar and useful as a 'float' in hot drinks.

« Reply #147 on: 30 June, 2019, 11:41:59 pm »
I know cheap 'ice cream' is >50% gas by volume, which makes it bulky, cheap, fairly low-calorie & low-sugar and useful as a 'float' in hot drinksminging.

FTFY

HTH, HAND, etc etc

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #148 on: 30 June, 2019, 11:52:31 pm »
I know cheap 'ice cream' is >50% gas by volume, which makes it bulky, cheap, fairly low-calorie & low-sugar and useful as a 'float' in hot drinksminging.

FTFY

HTH, HAND, etc etc

I must confess to quite liking Sainsbury's Soft Scoop foam but hating Walls' offering.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #149 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
Why some ointments are aerated and some aren't. Marketing ploy?

It would be genius if they then also claim to have antioxidants within  :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.