Author Topic: HRM seems to have packed up  (Read 1272 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
HRM seems to have packed up
« on: 27 March, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
I have a Garmin HRM strap with my Oregon and have been using it a lot for the last three months.

It arbitrarily stopped working today. I assumed it was because of a low battery and have now changed it, but it still isn't functioning. My Oregon just says "searching..."

Any ideas?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: HRM seems to have packed up
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2012, 03:42:55 am »
Yep. Get an Adidas HRM strap or even a Polar one and use them with your Garmin sensor.  I have given up on Garmin HRM straps and find the one from my Adidas miCoach Pacer is the best option.

Andrew

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:37:54 am »
What type of Garmin HRM strap is it? The older hard plastic one, or the newer premium soft strap?
And checking the obvious, are you actually wearing the heart rate strap while trying to pair it? Otherwise it won't work.

It seems the newer Garmin HRM can be unreliable. This may be caused by corrosion on the contacts. So cleaning them may help, or replace it with a Polar strap as that DC Rainmaker link says. Note you just need the actual strap, not the transmitter as well (the Polar transmitter won't work with the Garmin).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:40:26 am »
It's the older, solid plastic one.

I'm about to go out for a ride again and I'm wearing it now (to warm it up!) and will see if a night lying on the kitchen table has improved matters.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:46:28 am »
...and will see if a night lying on the kitchen table has improved matters.

Too tired to make it to the bed?  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...