Author Topic: Donky bikes  (Read 1391 times)

Donky bikes
« on: 12 January, 2019, 07:17:21 pm »
Anyone know anything about them. On my ETA newsletter I get emailed every Friday they been mentioned a couple of times but website and Facebook for them is well out of date

Re: Donky bikes
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2019, 10:39:57 pm »
I knew their Spanish cousin Donkey Hotay - does that help?

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2019, 09:41:39 pm »
I remember seeing them at the Design Museum's Cycle Revolution exhibition a couple of years back; they looked pretty neat as a utility bike, but I couldn't quite shake the feeling that the design wasn't properly triangulated in the middle...

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:02:16 am »
I saw them on the ETA newsletter too.  They looked interesting and cheap, but they didn't excite me as something to ride!

My problem with cargo bikes is that, while I'd obviously like one, I find I can get a weekly grocery shop for a family of three in two large panniers, so I don't see anything other than occasional use for one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:55:43 pm »
My problem with cargo bikes is that, while I'd obviously like one, I find I can get a weekly grocery shop for a family of three in two large panniers, so I don't see anything other than occasional use for one.

Same here.  They make obvious sense when you're delivering things or carrying small children about on a daily basis.  But if you've already got a bike with sensible gears and luggage capability, it's overkill for occasional use.  Trailers can carry a huge amount of stuff, and trade manoeuvrability for ease of storage when not in use.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:10:36 pm »
Having a look at that design, it looks like something inbetween a "standard" cargo bike such as Freight 8 and a normal bike. The racks front and rear don't look a huge amount bigger than a standard pannier rack.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:41:44 pm »
The front rack being fixed to the frame, rather than the fork, will be a significant advantage.  And it presumably has small-wheeled-bike manoeuvrability, which can only help with BRITISH cycling farcilities.  And it's reasonably cheap.

I think they've missed a trick by not having a child seat that can be swapped with the luggage racks.  Or a rear rack that can take standard panniers.

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »

Same here.  They make obvious sense when you're delivering things or carrying small children about on a daily basis.  But if you've already got a bike with sensible gears and luggage capability, it's overkill for occasional use.  Trailers can carry a huge amount of stuff, and trade manoeuvrability for ease of storage when not in use.

Even for small children, I really wanted to buy something like a Douze or Bullit for transporting my daughter. But her nursery is just 1km away so I couldn't justify spending £3k on it when a £3700 second hand trailer from ebay works just a well. She actually levers the child seat in any case as she can see more (and steak things out of my back pockets while we ride along).  And, as you say, cargo bikes are hard to store, even though we have got a garage, it's not that big and has other stuff in it.

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:47:08 pm »
I believe they did make a child seat. Showed on Facebook which was more up to date then website. I would love a proper cargo bike but again storage is an issue.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »
slightly OT, but what is an ETA newsletter, is it something we should all want?

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:27:55 pm »
Environmental travel association. Yeah I enjoy it. Newsletter is maybe a tad grand. Did win one of their give aways last year.

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:31:03 pm »
Yes, worth signing up for, they're an insurance company who campaign on cycling issues. I switched my home insurance to them even though they were more expensive than other options. Seem like good people