Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2464269 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5125 on: 04 February, 2012, 08:45:23 pm »
Links no work. but I still have fat envy ??? Shall save my pennies for the autumn. Maybe an On-One?
I've changed the link .. maybe that one will work. I plan to take 'proper' pics when the build is complete.

I'll be interested to see how the On-One fat bike turns out - can't say that I'm keen on the looks of the prototype, mind. Stealth black Pugsley FTW ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5126 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »
That works better! 

Quite like the On One but I'll wait to see what a production version looks like!

« Reply #5127 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:45:16 am »
Cannondal 2010 tandem.
Sadly it won't be going anywhere today:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5128 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:49:18 am »
Go on, go for a ride on it.  You know you want to!

Your Stoker's Mileage May Vary ;D
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5129 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:49:41 am »
That Cannondale very nice.The winter camouflage being very appropriate.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5130 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:53:47 am »

Claud in the snow.  Only 4 miles but enough to prove Marathon Winters work very well.

« Reply #5131 on: 06 February, 2012, 04:36:51 am »
Commuting/pootling bike.

Untitled by Hey look, it's Luke!, on Flickr
Don't ask.

« Reply #5132 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:01:02 am »
Newly collected yesterday afternoon - I'm chuffed to little mintballs!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5133 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
Nice.  What is it, though?  I can't read the graphics.
Getting there...

« Reply #5134 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:13:36 am »
It's a Geoff Smith Pennine - same frame as Paul Hewitts Cheviot SE and similar fit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5135 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:17:13 am »
Aha!  I've never heard of Geoff Smith, but that's a good frame (also used by Pearsons, Byercycles et al), so I hope you have many happy miles on what looks like a seriously classy bike.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5136 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:22:33 am »
That's very nice BF.I particularly like the Handlebars.What model are they?

« Reply #5137 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:29:29 am »
FSA Omega compact - and to be honest I'm not sure what tape he's put on, but it feels pretty commfortable

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5138 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:31:35 am »
Yes, I like that bend.  More usable than most.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5139 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:44:56 am »
They look like the same curve as on the FSA Wing compact, the curve is known as a CVR curve (Constantly Variable Radius).  I have a set on my Ridley, I find them much more comfortable than the standard "anatomical" curve bars (which, to me would only suit your hands if you had any extra hinge joint in the middle of your palm).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5140 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
They look like the same curve as on the FSA Wing compact, the curve is known as a CVR curve (Constantly Variable Radius).  I have a set on my Ridley, I find them much more comfortable than the standard "anatomical" curve bars (which, to me would only suit your hands if you had any extra hinge joint in the middle of your palm).
And very similar bars to the  Deda Zero 100 that I have on my audax bike. Very comfy indeed. I get on ok with anatomic bars, but these are much better. Enjoy the new bike.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #5141 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »
It's a Geoff Smith Pennine - same frame as Paul Hewitts Cheviot SE and similar fit
That's really pretty, Bartonflyer! Hope you have lots of great rides on it :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5142 on: 10 February, 2012, 08:30:07 pm »
My old disco twin tandem.
The original suntour se brakes were poor, and I tried V-brakes to see if these would be more effective and easier to maintain. They are, but not the revelation I'd hoped for. The original arai drum brake was warped and not very effective, so it came off.
I fancied trying the mitec hell-bent bars so put these on the bike, but theyre better for a trail bike rather than anything else, they're too wide for the tandem.  The twist-shifters work very well though, and I replaced chains and cassette with a view to sell it. I'm still half inclined to sell it

Some more pics here

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5143 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:06:56 pm »
This is how we handle snow in Yorkshire ;D

Pugsley in the snow by interzen, on Flickr

2012-02-10 16.13.35 by interzen, on Flickr

Still need to cut the steerer tube, but riding it is an absolute hoot and, despite looking like the cycling equivalent of a monster truck, it only weighs 31lbs according to the digital scale in the bike shop.

Just a pity that we're rapidly running out of snow ...

« Reply #5144 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »
Looks like an enormous amount of fun :)

As for the snow - there's always sandy beaches?

Frere

« Reply #5145 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

2012-02-10 16.13.35 by interzen, on Flickr

Still need to cut the steerer tube, but riding it is an absolute hoot and, despite looking like the cycling equivalent of a monster truck, it only weighs 31lbs according to the digital scale in the bike shop.

Just a pity that we're rapidly running out of snow ...

How easy is it to change a puncture with those tyres?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5146 on: 10 February, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »
How easy is it to change a puncture with those tyres?
Ask me again when I've had to repair a puncture ;)
Whilst they're not truly puncture proof, evidence from other fatbike riders seems to suggest that the tyres can put up with pretty much anything short of glass and some of the more tenacious species of cactus(!)

« Reply #5147 on: 10 February, 2012, 10:28:34 pm »

I like it. The proportions / geometry and riding position seem pretty appealing, from the photo. Enjoy! 

« Reply #5148 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:29:01 pm »
Awesome, I have absolutely no need for a Fat Bike but the envy and temptation are enormous...though not as enormous as the bike.

I always thought a Dune Buggy would be a cool car to have when I was a kid as well.
Nuns, no sense of humour

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5149 on: 10 February, 2012, 11:37:18 pm »
Awesome, I have absolutely no need for a Fat Bike but the envy and temptation are enormous...though not as enormous as the bike.
It's not actually as big as it looks - the frame is an 18" (same size as my 1x1) but with a slightly more compact main triangle, and with the 3.8" tyres the wheels have roughly the same diameter as the 700c wheels on my orange Genesis. What I don't know yet is whether or not it'll fit in the back of the car - the width of the tyres means that using the roof rack is a non-starter, to say nothing of the effect that the aerodynamics, or lack thereof, of the tyres would do to my fuel consumption ;D

I always thought a Dune Buggy would be a cool car to have when I was a kid as well.
Yeah, I had a soft spot for those, too.

I'm hoping to do a bit of sand riding later on in the year - I reckon that dune bashing at Spurn Point could be a good way to spend a weekend ;)