Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466249 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5275 on: 21 March, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »
What's the blue thing?  Looks like it's attached...

« Reply #5276 on: 21 March, 2012, 11:34:20 pm »
What's the blue thing?  Looks like it's attached...

It is my Camelbak hose (the new QR spout with a bendy wire in so you can position it mid air) :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5277 on: 21 March, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
Ah, I see.  Gosh, that could have all sorts of entertainment value.  Bungees to compress the bag and a shower head attachment, anyone?   ;D

« Reply #5278 on: 21 March, 2012, 11:49:52 pm »
Ah, I see.  Gosh, that could have all sorts of entertainment value.  Bungees to compress the bag and a shower head attachment, anyone?   ;D

Ohhh now that could be a good idea when we go cycle camping on it  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5279 on: 22 March, 2012, 08:10:47 am »
Love it Feline.  Looks like your Orbit will see a few miles than ours  ::-)   :'(

« Reply #5280 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:04:56 am »
I cleaned the Orbit tandem today so time for a proper photo session:

It may be the angle of the shot, but it looks as if the cranks are one tooth out of phase, or maybe it's deliberate?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5281 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:09:02 am »
Will people please stop posting Pugsley photos?

I have absolutely NO need for one - but these recent additions to this thread are raising the possibility of a terrible n+1 accident that would probably lead to a Cass-1 (I've already been instructed that I can't have a nice fixie or a bit of carbon bling summer bike; so who knows what a fat bike would do!).

Feline & Simonp - it's a really nice tandem for sure (bit of big ring/sprocket action rather torturing the rear mech though!) - good luck on your first 300 this weekend - see you there!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5282 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:55:15 am »

I have absolutely NO need for one - but these recent additions to this thread are raising the possibility of a terrible n+1 accident that would probably lead to a Cass-1 (I've already been instructed that I can't have a nice fixie or a bit of carbon bling summer bike; so who knows what a fat bike would do!).

I promise I won't post anymore (until I have some new ones to post :) )

If you build it the Johnny Cash way she'll never notice

« Reply #5283 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »
Feline & Simonp - it's a really nice tandem for sure (bit of big ring/sprocket action rather torturing the rear mech though!) - good luck on your first 300 this weekend - see you there!

Thanks  :thumbsup:
The big-big is where it ended up with me cleaning and lubing the drive train, it won't be ridden like that!

Chris S

« Reply #5284 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »

Thanks  :thumbsup:
The big-big is where it ended up with me cleaning and lubing the drive train, it won't be ridden like that!

You can always blame it on the driver ;).

fboab: "Erm... Chris, it's really noisy back here... could be the chain?"
me: "Oops - sorry. Middle!"

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5285 on: 23 March, 2012, 12:03:18 pm »
Just finished building it up :)

There's going to be some upgrades eventually to add a nice quill stem and a better chainset, but in essence it's all there and ready to go :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #5286 on: 23 March, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

I have absolutely NO need for one - but these recent additions to this thread are raising the possibility of a terrible n+1 accident

+1

(although please keep posting them really)

I think I just need to ride one once, to say I've ridden one.  I'm positive they aren't the most practical way for me to get around Hampshire.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5287 on: 23 March, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

I think I just need to ride one once,   

to where?
Australia?
 :demon:

« Reply #5288 on: 23 March, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

[snip]

There's going to be some upgrades eventually to add a nice quill stem and a better chainset, but in essence it's all there and ready to go :)

I love old-school Raleighs - I still commute on a Randonneur (modernised with STIs etc.) And last year I sold my 1989 team replica, which was fantastic but I just didn't use it any longer.

LindaG

« Reply #5289 on: 23 March, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »

[snip]

I love old-school Raleighs - I still commute on a Randonneur (modernised with STIs etc.) And last year I sold my 1989 team replica, which was fantastic but I just didn't use it any longer.

Lovely bike that mcshroom!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5290 on: 25 March, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
^^^ That is very nice!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5291 on: 26 March, 2012, 05:36:17 pm »
1st ride on the Dave Yates today  :thumbsup:

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5292 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:59:54 pm »
That is a lovely looking bike fungus :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5293 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »
Yours looks extremely nice, mcshroom.  You say you'll put a quill stem on it: does it currently run a quill - ahead converter?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5294 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »
It does, nicked from my hybrid as the quill stem I bought wouldn't fit round the curve of the bars unfortunately.

The pictures are a little flattering on the red paintwork which is a bit scuffed and rough in places, but the chrome fork is really nice :)

It's quite a bitsa bike really, with wheels off a Scott Sub30, shifters and bars from a Dawes horizon (I believe) and the chainset (with massive 122.5mm BB) is a cheap 48-38-28 I bought for my old mountain bike when I commuted on it. My plan is to slowly upgrade it where the opportunities arise.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5295 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »
When you say the quill stem won't fit round the bars, do you mean that it's the wrong size?  If not, you can bend it out a little with a big screwdriver, or any other bit of metal bar.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5296 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »
That is a lovely looking bike fungus :thumbsup:

Cheers mcshroom!  It rides really nice as well & your Raleigh is looking good too  :)
Will have to sort out a steel frames ride in the summer  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5297 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
Unfortunately I had a go at that, it's a big solid job and It was fine until I tried to get the stem round the narrow radus curve at the back of the bars, where it wedged solid and needed the use of a mallet to remove it agerain. I may have a go at bending it but it is far less flexible than other stems I've tried. It should fit the swept-back bars on the hybrid so I may use it there instead.

Looks like this: -

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5298 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »
Butterfly's new toy:

More photos here
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5299 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:50:56 pm »