Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2463890 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4600 on: 09 July, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »
We got n+1 today. It is a "bit of a project".

So far I've ridden it home, solo. I had to walk up two steep sections due to 6 speed gears and a very slack timing chain. It feels very different, but quite fun. It needs a fair bit of work, but that's OK - we can enjoy doing that too.

I'm amazed that riding from Hove to Rottingdean, on the cycle path, past the pier, on Saturday afternoon, that no one saw fit to shout anything "witty".

If anyone can identify the remains of the badge, I'd be interested to know more about it.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4601 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »
Due to the retirement of my faithful Marin Point Reyes (frame has started to crack again - not good on aluminium ...) I've switched most of the bits, notably the Alfine wheelset, onto the lovely OrangeGina. Here's the result:

P1000340 by interzen, on Flickr

Sadly, no orange bar tape as the LBS didn't have any and I *really* needed to get the bars fully taped before tomorrow's flatlanders ride. Hence, black. Doesn't feel nearly as nippy as it did when I was running it as a fixed, but it's still immense fun to ride.

EDIT: and thus far I've had absolutely no inclination to sully THE ORANGE by wrapping reflective tape around the frame tubes ;)

« Reply #4602 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »
You know what that needs to finish it off?  :P

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4603 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:10:20 pm »
You know what that needs to finish it off?  :P
More orange bits ... unfortunately, that's not easy to do without the bike looking like a hipster's reject.

« Reply #4604 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of "Gay barber pole"  ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4605 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of "Gay barber pole"  ;D
Noooooooo! ;D

« Reply #4606 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:38:29 pm »
That Orange Gina bike is very interesting - as it happens, I have a Globe 3.1 hybrid with Nexus 8, dynamo and shimano wheelset. Looks very similiar to yours. Was my first reasonably okay bike when I returned to cycling 4 years ago, but the wheelset didnt give me much confidence - in fact the back wheel buckled and was able to be trued again fortunately. Just wasn't build for the JOGLE trip I planned and did on another bike.

Still have got it. Mmm. Ponders....No, still don't feel confident that the wheelset is up to much, have gotten used to the peace of mind hand build 36 spoke wheels gives. How is your wheelset holding up for you? Better than my experience?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4607 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:44:53 pm »
That OranGina bike is very interesting - as it happens, I have a Global hybrid with Nexus 8, dynamo and shimano wheelset. Looks very similiar to yours. Was my first reasonably okay bike when I returned to cycling 4 years ago, but the wheelset didnt give me much confidence - in fact the back wheel buckled and was able to be trued again fortunately. Just wasn't build for the JOGLE trip I planned and did on another bike.

Still have got it. Mmm. Ponders....No, still don't feel confident that the wheelset is up to much, have gotten used to the peace of mind hand build 36 spoke wheels gives.
I was a bit skeptical, but after several thousand miles with 20 stone of me (plus luggage) on board the wheelset is holding up fine. In fact, today is the only time I've had to take a spoke key to them in anger and that was a result of lead-arsing through too many potholes and whatnot on the off-road sections of last Thursday's pub ride.

For preference, though, I build my own wheels - the only reason I bought the Alfine wheelset in the first place was because I was made the proverbial offer I couldn't refuse.

I should also point out that, despite being rather pricy, the JTek bar-end shifter is very, very nice indeed.

« Reply #4608 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
Thanks for the reply, good to hear that you have had better experiences than mine, am only slightly lighter than you.

Mmmm. Ponders again, winter commuter build incoming? *maybe* Mmm.

Frere

« Reply #4609 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
The dynamo on your wheelset is a WH - 3N71 perchance or ?

Frere

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4610 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:56:41 pm »

Frere
Yep. Nice bit of kit - on a par with the old Schmidt SON on my Dave Yates fixed (not sure what the newer SONs are like, and I can't afford to find out yet either). Rear hub is the 'red band' 8-speed Nexus1 - I have taken it off-road, on multiple occasions, and really can't fault the durability and mud resistance.

I gear it rather lower than Shimano suggest (the Genesis is running 42x23) but have had no problems other than those associated with suboptimal cable tension. When it eventually gives up the ghost I'll likely replace it with an Alfine 11.

1 - I use Nexus and Alfine more-or-less interchangeably where the 8-speed hub is concerned.

« Reply #4611 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:11:52 pm »

Frere
Yep. Nice bit of kit - on a par with the old Schmidt SON on my Dave Yates fixed (not sure what the newer SONs are like, and I can't afford to find out yet either). Rear hub is the 'red band' 8-speed Nexus1 - I have taken it off-road, on multiple occasions, and really can't fault the durability and mud resistance.

I gear it rather lower than Shimano suggest (the Genesis is running 42x23) but have had no problems other than those associated with suboptimal cable tension. When it eventually gives up the ghost I'll likely replace it with an Alfine 11.

1 - I use Nexus and Alfine more-or-less interchangeably where the 8-speed hub is concerned.

the red band being the continuous red line on right side of hub? mmmm...more pondering...

Many thanks Interzen for your answers, they have given food for thought.

Frere

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4612 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:18:49 pm »
the red band being the continuous red line on right side of hub? mmmm...more pondering...
Yep - Shimano used the red band on the hubs that were rated for off-road use; earlier Nexus 7 and 8-speed hubs had a nasty tendency to self-destruct.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #4613 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:35:35 pm »
While ChrisN and PaulD have been off building Clown bikes I've been readying myself for the Mersey Roads.

My 'dale with new wheels:

(yes the steerer still needs trimming)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4614 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »
TCR2 in audax mode: South then North 600k.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4615 on: 10 July, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »
While ChrisN and PaulD have been off building Clown bikes I've been readying myself for the Mersey Roads.

If you'd had those wheels in the Port Talbot Wheelers 4-up you might have been able to pull your weight  ;)

« Reply #4616 on: 10 July, 2011, 07:59:57 pm »

Love the Barley on the Road bike  ;D

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #4617 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »

If you'd had those wheels in the Port Talbot Wheelers 4-up you might have been able to pull your weight  ;)

Some of us are cursed with a larger frontal area  ;)

« Reply #4618 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:29:25 pm »

Some of us are cursed with a larger frontal area  ;)

Mmm fast wheels and beard???? :o

« Reply #4619 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:28:38 pm »

That's ace.

I'm toying with a return to triathlon next season, which will mean deep section wheels and tribars on the Giant.   Hmm...

This is my last tri bike and I'm going to have to outbling it...

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #4620 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:17:05 am »

That's ace.

I'm toying with a return to triathlon next season, which will mean deep section wheels and tribars on the Giant.   Hmm...

This is my last tri bike and I'm going to have to outbling it...

I'm trying not to take offence that you've mentioned triathalon :demon:

« Reply #4621 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:20:16 am »

I'm accusing you of no more than being a deep section rim user!  :)

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #4622 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:48:00 am »

It's the train of thought I find offensive  ;)

« Reply #4623 on: 12 July, 2011, 12:30:33 am »
Due to the retirement of my faithful Marin Point Reyes (frame has started to crack again - not good on aluminium ...)

Just curious as I have a Point Reyes also .... how & where is it cracking?

« Reply #4624 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:49:20 am »

It's the train of thought I find offensive  ;)

I don't understand the aversion to triathlon.  What's not to like?