Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65929 times)

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #125 on: 20 April, 2014, 10:01:54 pm »
Many thanks Martin; super ride. Last year I enjoyed in spite of the weather. This year felt like a dream come true. You are right about the headwind; much better a NE than a SW, and better to be windy than wet. I'm looking forward to the tulips next year.

The only dampener to a great day was hearing about the injured rider. I hope he's ok now.

« Reply #126 on: 21 April, 2014, 12:13:26 am »
Pedal Castro and Gareth Rees - I've been asked to do a write-up for the club newsletter. Do you mind if I pinch one or two of your pictures? I've only got a couple of poor snapshots on the ferry.

« Reply #127 on: 21 April, 2014, 12:30:09 am »
This was my first 200 of the year, so I expected to find it a bit tough going.

Waiting on the station, I met two others obviously headed to the same place - curiously, we were all on Dawes machines. There were other riders in the carriage, and, on arrival at Huntingdon, a dozen or more of us piled out of various carriages and joined the throng in the car park, so obviously quite a few had come all the way up from London.

Having hung onto a group driven mostly by Little Wheels and Big OTP two years ago, and knowing that we again faced a headwind to Lynn, my plan was to find another nice group this time. It worked to March (may have been scottlington's group - I remember seeing some Sudbury riders), but I wasn't as quick as some in visiting Gregg's, and thereafter rode mostly alone.

Lynn was my low point. I ate my omelette rather slowly, trying to recover a bit, and to be sure that I could continue to Spalding. The ferry was fun - must have been about ten of us, including the Norwich riders (sounds as though gustibus may have been on that ferry - I was the one who had to be chased for payment...), and we thought they wouldn't let us all on at once, but bikes were piled everywhere with good humour, and we made it across.

The loop to Spalding was a game of two halves. Another battle with the wind, but just something to be ground through, and then, after the information control, no pedalling really needed. It was pleasant to sit in the sun at the cafes at both Lynn and Spalding, and I felt much better at the latter than I had two years before.

I was looking forward to the run back to Huntingdon. Even if Gareth didn't find anything worthy of a picture, I know it from previous rides, and it can be good fun wind assisted. In fact, though, the wind was a bit more easterly than in 2012, and, whilst mostly easy going, it didn't quite live up to my hopes.

It was good to see Canardly at the finish. Nearly two hours slower than last time, so a bit disappointed with that, but an enjoyable ride all the same.

« Reply #128 on: 21 April, 2014, 12:36:02 am »
Pedal Castro and Gareth Rees - I've been asked to do a write-up for the club newsletter. Do you mind if I pinch one or two of your pictures?

By all means, go ahead (with a credit). Ask me if you need higher resolution copies (or edit the Google+ URLs to get them).

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #129 on: 21 April, 2014, 07:17:45 am »
Pedal Castro and Gareth Rees - I've been asked to do a write-up for the club newsletter. Do you mind if I pinch one or two of your pictures? I've only got a couple of poor snapshots on the ferry.

Sure, be my guest.

« Reply #130 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:39:54 am »
Thanks both. Pedal Castro, do you want to PM me a real name for the credits?

« Reply #131 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:59:36 am »

you must have been very quick  :o Canardly OTP very kindly manned The George until I arrived at the back of the field (had to attend a rider down who wobbled went over the bars and did a faceplant  :( now recovering in Boston)

Lucky that you were able to help and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

« Reply #132 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:05:35 am »

This morning I found this in my rear tyre, lucky it lasted the ride yesterday I guess.

Looking forward to the challenge of my first 300 next week...

Strange, I followed your rear tyre closely for a long time but didn't spot it. It would have been a good opportunity to justify that I carry a spare tyre.

« Reply #133 on: 21 April, 2014, 07:00:03 pm »
Hung around at the pub for an hour after finishing in the hope there would be someone to take the cards but no ones showed up

you must have been very quick  :o Canardly OTP very kindly manned The George until I arrived at the back of the field (had to attend a rider down who wobbled went over the bars and did a faceplant  :( now recovering in Boston)

I think you all had the wind the right way round, it was mostly behind after Guys Head and seriously behind through purgatory (the looooong section from Crowland to Upwood)

I was able to donate £1 per rider to Help for Heroes at the ferry terminal as their son lost a leg in Afghanistan, they remarked on the civility and co-operation of the riders  :)

sorry you were not treated to the usual Daffs, they were at their best a month ago, and not even out of the ground 2 years ago such are the vageuries of British spring weather. Next year I'm going to re-route the section before Kings Lynn to hopefully take you past some tulips!

I assume the rider down lost it on one of the hairpin descents - I hope he is ok.

I arrived at half 3ish. There was a table of about 6 of us until 4:30 so we were quite obvious. When I got home I noticed I had some impressive salt streaks down my face so it was obvious we had been on a ride and not just down the shops. Not sure what the bar staff must have thought!

Still a nice way to finish off a ride, sunny courtyard and a few pints of ale to finish off the day. Martin, I'll send you the scan of the evidence from work tomorrow.

It killed me for the Bishops Stortford hilly today - need to focus a bit more.

Martin

« Reply #134 on: 10 February, 2015, 08:32:54 pm »
OK; bunnies and also a bonus Easter egg for each rider all bought  :P entries filling up nicely although I doubt it will fill up being an X event as long as I have enough cards. Finish controller hopefully booked so you can all enjoy whatever 70s disco music was going on at The George last year

sadly no tulips this year too early in the year to risk re-routing; but there may be some on the normal route

this year for the first time it's also a PBP qually, you never know  ;)

« Reply #135 on: 11 February, 2015, 06:52:31 am »
I am looking forward to this with excitement mixed with anxiety. Did my first 200 last year (triple reservoir out of Oundle) however I have done very little cycling for the last 3 months due to illnesses etc.  just back on the bike this week so I will start building up by doing some 100's down in hilly Dorset. 
I shall probably be lanterne rouge but hey ho.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #136 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
Entered  :thumbsup:I fancy a ferry ride this year.

« Reply #137 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:22:05 pm »
I am looking forward to this with excitement mixed with anxiety.
It's an easier ride than the Reservoirs - must be one of the flattest Audaxes around. Can be hard into the wind though.

Martin

« Reply #138 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
It's an easier ride than the Reservoirs - must be one of the flattest Audaxes around. Can be hard into the wind though.

indeed; you reach 194m total climbing after 194km riding  ;)

« Reply #139 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:18:40 pm »
Excited about getting an Easter bunny, I didn't realise those were on offer. Bonus.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #140 on: 12 February, 2015, 11:35:14 am »

Yup. Flat does not always mean easy! Get even a moderate headwind on a looong section of flat road and you would kill for a hill! This makes it a good ride for groups to form and work together though so turns out to be quite social (at least it was for me last year).

The other thing I find with flat rides is comfort - any aches on pains from the saddle area really are shown up on flat rides like this as there is little opportunity for getting out of the saddle and keeping up momentum.

I shall be there again this year, really enjoyed last year's ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #141 on: 12 February, 2015, 06:50:03 pm »
There are no looong flat sections into the wind on this ride. They are all loooooooooooooooooooong flat sections.

I enjoyed it too.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #142 on: 22 March, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »
Route check ride done yesterday. No missing signposts or problems with the route found.
A couple of short temporary one-way passages controlled by temp traffic lights. But nothing
problematic. The little King's Lynn ferry ran according to schedule and no signs of upcoming
disruption of service posted. So looks all fine for Easter Saturday.

Yesterday's ride was nice but challenging with the very hard cold wind from the North. Must
have been close to 30 mph deep out in the Fens and in the Northernmost part along the Wash.
So 120k of head and crosswinds and 80k with tail and tail/crosswinds. Ended up as much as
3h 45m slower than last year when I cruised around in 8 hours flat! Hope the riders will enjoy
a bit warmer and less windy conditions in two weeks. But it's a great ride regardless, unique
in it being so flat and with the vast open landscape to watch. I will also help out at the finish,
collecting cards at the George hotel pub in Huntingdon before Martin arrives to take over!

« Reply #143 on: 22 March, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »
Just done a 80 miler in preparation for this today on similar terrain.Fittness OK but the flatness made my arse ache :facepalm:

« Reply #144 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:27:25 am »
No preparation whatsoever apart from a couple of 100k. Oh well I am just looking for nice day out on my bike in a part of the country I visit regularly but have never cycled round.

« Reply #145 on: 23 March, 2015, 08:22:28 am »
I only did the 80 mile ride for the confidence Lisa. Comfort is more of a issue on this ride. All the weight goes on your bum when you get tired.

Martin

« Reply #146 on: 23 March, 2015, 12:54:37 pm »
wind or no wind 200 dead flat km is not that easy, no freewheeling for the whole ride means you are literally moving all day. But having said that it's one of the easier rides compared to some I could mention. Save something back for the last few km when it does climb a couple of hills near Upwood;

the section South from Thorney is as dull as a very dull thing I admit, one suggestion to break the monotony was to take it via Holme Fen the lowest place in the UK at 4m below sea level but that would be at the expense of other bits of the ride like Guys Head and the bulbfields around Saracen's Head which I think are worth including  8)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #147 on: 23 March, 2015, 02:06:19 pm »
I've only ridden this once but enjoyed it a lot. The flat route makes it easy for groups to ride together, chat and help each other through bad patches. Usually on British brevets, the hills blow groups apart just as the conversations get more interesting than 'Nice day for a bike ride.'
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #148 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:47:43 pm »
the section South from Thorney is as dull as a very dull thing I admit, one suggestion to break the monotony was to take it via Holme Fen the lowest place in the UK at 4m below sea level but that would be at the expense of other bits of the ride like Guys Head and the bulbfields around Saracen's Head which I think are worth including  8)

You're probably going to be really upset with me. I look forward to the bit back from Thorney, partly because I knew it from a number of rides out to Skegness before I first did the Double Dutch, and partly because you often get some wind assistance. Once I get to Spalding, I feel I'm home. It's Guy's Head and beyond that I don't look forward to because it's always such a grind :facepalm:

« Reply #149 on: 23 March, 2015, 10:36:13 pm »
Route check ride done yesterday. No missing signposts or problems with the route found.
A couple of short temporary one-way passages controlled by temp traffic lights. But nothing
problematic. The little King's Lynn ferry ran according to schedule and no signs of upcoming
disruption of service posted. So looks all fine for Easter Saturday.

Any significant differences from 2014? - Now that I've entered :thumbsup: