Author Topic: SPAUDAX  (Read 28351 times)

Re: SPAUDAX
« Reply #150 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:15:14 am »
Can't argue with that teethgrinder. However if the fast ride wants to be sociable he needs to ease off to keep the others with him. It's easier for him to go slower than it is for the others to go faster.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #151 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »
Mr Nesbitt: six pages in and the OP hasn't commented. If I didn't know he is a nice bloke I'd suggest he was spamming or flaming or whatever it's called, but I have no doubt that 3peaker had the best intentions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it is now 11 pages in and for sure I seem to have sparked off some chat.

First an apology:  I was due to fly to Morocco on 18 Apr - was (D)ashed off, so headed into Wales with the Lady wife to walk some Cambrian Way (I am also a Mountaineer - check my 'nom de yacf').  So, came home Sunday and have just about caught up with developments.

I see some close similarities with Sportif and Audax and have even suggested to my (Racing-type) Club that they use my Gospel Pass 200 and Hoarwithy 100 events towards our Club Sportive league.  As a first-off event it is hard to find the right weekend slot and to generate a following.  To bring in the local lads is a natural opportunity.  But those from further afield may want to learn about the event before committing to a journey.  I can promise a superb route and if you want to ride to the event, floor space at the Village Hall beforehand.  As a first-off, I am careful not to over-commit to other booked premises but have the co-operation of pubs for meals and there are just enough other outlets for food/self-control etc.

I rode a Circular Tour of the Black Country (not its actual name) last year and the Solihull (their event) were there in force and treated the ride as a 200km sportif (bikes to match!).  There could not have been more than 6 others who thought it was an Audax.  So events are what folk make of them; there is overlap between Audax/Sportif.  It seems to depend on how they are marketed and what reputation they generate.  Dropping the Mudguard rule dropped the difference(?)

Aspects that has kept me glued  to Audax include:

-The variety of terrain we ride all over UK (I am a map freak)
-The annual competitive edge (over Sportif).  I have worked steadily to several notable landmarks in  membership over 28yrs but only last year did I top 100 points (on Trike for that matter).  In the last few years I have put some of my experience to Organising with a breadth of Perms and now a few Calendars.
-The company on Calendars where you 'pal-up' with anyone of like pace/attitude at the time.
-The freedom of Perms, cos they get you out on the bike when you have some time and you can do these events from home (not too keen on all these DIYs but then I can argue that my Perms are just formal DIYs!)
-Access to the BIG events notably PBP (x3) and LEL(x2).  I am really upset that LEL09 has caused such a bad after-taste.  Probably, the crucial point here was Simon Doughty's accident and the AUK scramble to keep it on the road without recognising the growth needs for a bigger structure (keep the argument elsewhere!).

I tend to agree that the website is not 'New Reader Friendly' but a great tool to use from within.  Just remember a few years back when you had no central communication and everything was by letter or phone, even end of year claims.  Now, we take it for granted that the website is the font of all Club knowledge.  We have come a long way and congrats to all the Volunteers (F-F particularly) for creating a Club feeling within a National framework.

It is probably as well that local Organisers, within local Clubs, develop rides in their local area, as they can feel the temperature and mount events accordingly.  It is just that there is a big flock of sheep, which seems to have swamped the 'Sportif' world. Do we want them to ride our events? Do they know how close our events are to their ideals of a good ride over a good route.  All they need to do is read a routesheet and carry some spare cash and a few more energy bars? Not many will break the speed limits, especially on hilly 200s.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #152 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:51:39 am »
To some of us the achievement of getting round an audax ride is the achievement! Maybe there would be more attraction to the sportive rider if we had to list/ time the first 10 back on a ride and get the result in CW (Not that I read it my self.) if its their name in print they want. This would make an audax ride into an extended TT, which I suppose is all PBP is . Anyway I'm quite happy with my 25/30 rider event, this means I can use local cafes/ hotels as controls who are quite happy for the additional income this brings without too much disruption to their day.
No doubt there's plenty of miles still to run on this subject. rgds Ian D

15/5/10 Clarten owwer Caldbeck.( Plug! )

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #153 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
To some of us the achievement of getting round an audax ride is the achievement! Maybe there would be more attraction to the sportive rider if we had to list/ time the first 10 back on a ride and get the result in CW (Not that I read it my self.) if its their name in print they want. This would make an audax ride into an extended TT, which I suppose is all PBP is . Anyway I'm quite happy with my 25/30 rider event, this means I can use local cafes/ hotels as controls who are quite happy for the additional income this brings without too much disruption to their day.

Yes but you would loose people like me who do it because of the non competivness. Competitive sport has the bad habit of taking one's (or at least mine) life. I like audax because I only need to be fit enough, I don't feel like I have to spend all my evenings trying to become the fittest.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #154 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:19:55 am »
I probably agree with you as I'm in the same fitness category.(!?) What I was trying to do was look at ways the original proposal could be dealt with.
Question; Do we need the extra hassle?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #155 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:30:55 am »

Yes but you would loose people like me who do it because of the non competivness. Competitive sport has the bad habit of taking one's (or at least mine) life. I like audax because I only need to be fit enough, I don't feel like I have to spend all my evenings trying to become the fittest.

think of non-competitiveness as an optional extra which is available on audaxes but it isn't provided by default  ;)
(compared to other sports in which it simply isn't available ;))