Author Topic: Just entered my first Audax(s)!  (Read 5373 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Just entered my first Audax(s)!
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »

It's also 50% ability and 50% comfort.

200km is a long way to pedal and it's a long time to sit on a bike. 

If you are in a lot of discomfort then it's going to make the ride very hard to complete.  If you are comfy but bonk after 100km then it's going to make the ride hard to complete.

Bonk management is fairly simple; bonk is best avoided.
Don't burn yourself out early.
Remember to eat enough, often enough. Well-trained, experienced riders might not need to eat much or often but newbies are best eating every 60-90 minutes, even if it means letting companions ride away.
A bad attack of the bonk takes ages to resolve and could spoil your ride. Avoid the bonk and you may sail through.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #26 on: 18 May, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »

It's also 50% ability and 50% comfort.

200km is a long way to pedal and it's a long time to sit on a bike. 

If you are in a lot of discomfort then it's going to make the ride very hard to complete.  If you are comfy but bonk after 100km then it's going to make the ride hard to complete.

Bonk management is fairly simple; bonk is best avoided.
Don't burn yourself out early.
Remember to eat enough, often enough. Well-trained, experienced riders might not need to eat much or often but newbies are best eating every 60-90 minutes, even if it means letting companions ride away.
A bad attack of the bonk takes ages to resolve and could spoil your ride. Avoid the bonk and you may sail through.

Can't endorse this comment enough. The biggest problem I have on long rides (and for me a 200k is a long ride) is remembering to eat and drink enough. If I don't drink enough I lack power in my legs to get up hills and if I don't eat enough I get cramps when climbing hills. Both problems can be fixed by eating and drinking but the water going into my mouth doesn't get where it's needed instantly, so I end up either riding slowly waiting for the boost, or standing around trying to work the cramps out of my legs until they stop hurting and I can continue.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:13:59 pm »
If you don't have sufficient carbs and minerals in your body, the water you drink may fill your bladder rather than your muscles.

« Reply #28 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »
The biggest problem I have on long rides (and for me a 200k is a long ride) is remembering to eat and drink enough.

Daft as this sounds to anyone who has not been there, this is a very real and common problem.  I have done nearly 200 audax events, and I still sometimes get hydration wrong.  The common comment is "by the time you feel thirsty it's too late".

Good luck 28spoke.  As the Marmite man says, it's addictive.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:55:37 pm »
Different foods suit different riders. Find out what works for YOU on shorter rides. Ideally it should be something cheap and pannier proof.
I like teacakes (the fruited kind of baps).
Chocolate melts or freezes solid too easily for me.
Licorice allsorts and jelly babies are good emergency rations.
Fancy gels, drinks and bars cost more and usually taste worse than Real Food.
But you need to find out what suits YOU.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #30 on: 18 May, 2013, 07:13:23 pm »
The biggest problem I have on long rides (and for me a 200k is a long ride) is remembering to eat and drink enough.

Daft as this sounds to anyone who has not been there, this is a very real and common problem.  I have done nearly 200 audax events, and I still sometimes get hydration wrong.  The common comment is "by the time you feel thirsty it's too late".

Good luck 28spoke.  As the Marmite man says, it's addictive.

For me when I'm making good progress I don't feel the need to slow/stop to take on food and water, but then suddenly find I'm not making good progress and find myself checking my trip meter more and more frequently. When I realise that I'm checking my trip meter more than once per kilometre it's a good sign that I need to take on food and/or water (usually both).

At present I can ride at a high sustained effort (high for me anyway) for a good couple of hours without taking on any water, but then I'll drink like a camel at the end of it. That works up to a point, but if at the end of my two hours I'm expected to continue to ride for another two hours, even at a lower pace, it starts to become a problem because by then I need to give my body time to process the water.

Eating little and often is much easier if you've got a way to eat while on the move. I usually carry bags of jelly babies from Lidl (59p for 250g) which are the best way I've found so far to get lots of calories for little money while still tasting nice (and to me they taste nice rather than just passable). If, as I've often done, you leave your food in a pannier or saddle bag and have to stop to get at anything it seems like a faff and you're less likely to actually do it, leaving you more likely to bonk later on.

If you can't already do it, it's worth learning to drink while on the move, even if you can only do it while freewheeling it's much faster than having to stop, drink, get moving again.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #31 on: 18 May, 2013, 08:27:01 pm »
If you don't have sufficient carbs and minerals in your body, the water you drink may fill your bladder rather than your muscles.

Thanks for the advice hellymedic, i know this is 100% true, i always used to take an isotonic type drink when riding, without the salt your body will not take on water as readily as you think.

I know i said this a few times already, but this is a great forum!!!!!

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow :D
Everything is possible, the impossible just takes longer.

http://hitthehorizon.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #32 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:47:45 am »

Don't under estimate this.

I often eat Chocoloate Rice Kripsie bars as they are light, calorific, tasty and easy to chew. However on a ride where the temperature was well below freeing (-7C by the end!) I bit into one and broke a filling - the damn thing was as hard as iron.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 19 May, 2013, 01:34:48 pm »

Don't under estimate this.

I often eat Chocoloate Rice Kripsie bars as they are light, calorific, tasty and easy to chew. However on a ride where the temperature was well below freeing (-7C by the end!) I bit into one and broke a filling - the damn thing was as hard as iron.

You also don't want to be in a sticky mess when washing and water are awkward, time-consuming or impossible.
Chocolate should be eaten immediately after purchase.

Nobody would describe me as obsessionally clean but stickiness is a SIN!

A sugary, sticky drink can attract insects to your bike if it gets on the frame and sticky skin can get irritated to the point of pain.

Beware!

« Reply #34 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:59:58 pm »
I remember having to change an inner tube whilst in the middle of nowhere and a gang of wasps were attracted to my energy drink. I am completely phobic of wasps, but I was on a split shift at work and had to get back for the second shift, don't know how I managed to be honest.

I still use energy drinks though, they're one of he few things I find palatable. I'll need to work on this if I'm ever going to do a 300K
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »
If you use energy drinks, either buy and keep them in screw-top bottles or be very careful not to spill over your bike.

« Reply #36 on: 19 May, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
stickiness is a SIN!

Ding dong!

[/Leslie Phillips] :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #37 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:01:42 pm »
... and have entered my first two Audax events

Reservoir Single BP | 101 km | Saturday 6th July 2013
Rutland Ramble | 207 km | Saturday 10th August 2013

How did the Reservoir Single go? As it happens I rode that one (my first audax on fixed) and the Rutland Ramble will be my first 200km event.

« Reply #38 on: 25 July, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »
Tip.

STUDY the route. Find shops, service stations and cafes midway between controls. Know they are there, even if you don't need them.
Eat and drink every 25km. This may not be at a control. It will be at one of the outlets on your list of shops etc.

Another tip.

Take a cable lock.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:03:04 am »
Not that I 'do' Audax, but have spent  a fair few hours in the saddle (okay, 'on' it) and I'd say you really need to have spent enough time cycling so your seat bones aren't going to be painful.

My work is done!

Riggers you damned fool!

What about the many hours you have spent sniffing saddles  :o

Come, be not shy, tell all as we are mostly listening.  :D

H