Author Topic: What GPS?  (Read 5981 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
What GPS?
« on: 08 November, 2008, 11:29:33 am »
Missus has agreed to fund a cycle GPS for my Christmas present  :-* :-*

I have almost settled for the Garmin Edge 605, but recalled seeing a similar GPS at the bike show that was loaded with OS maps.

Any idea what it was?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Rob S

Re: What GPS?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2008, 11:34:33 am »
Probably a Garmin Oregon.

I recommend a Satmap Active 10 if you want OS mapping though it's a bit pricey.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2008, 12:17:24 pm »
Probably a Garmin Oregon.

... and I understand that the battery life is pretty short

The decision process for a GPS has to start with "What do I want (or think I want) to do with it?"

Something like the eTrex Legend HCx or Vista HCx seems to do most things - and you can load maps .. and the bike mount is probably the best.

Rob

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2008, 12:24:23 pm »

Yes that was the one!  Bloody hell it IS expensive!   :o

I think I'll go with the Garmin then.

What do I want it for? Bike computer, logging rides, avoiding getting lost, being able to be more adventurous with routes when riding in unfamiliar areas, etc., etc.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »
I have the Vista HCx and it is excellent for following pre-planned routes and recording track logs of where you've been.  In my experience it has a 20-hour battery life and the advantage of using AA batteries, which can be bought if you are stuck away from a power source.

I think the 605/705's are more of a training tool, and the functions are loaded heavily towards training data rather than route-following.  Others may disagree.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:26:56 pm »
I'd recommend the Garmin Colorado...

...it gets  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »
Can I add a question to the thread...

Is there a GPS that will hold an entire LEJOG route in it?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:33:25 pm »
Any feedback on these Oregons yet? They've been out for a while but I don't know of anyone that has tried one. Is it basically a Colorado with a touch screen?

Would an HCx not do it if done in the form of efficiently plotted tracks (as distinct from routes)?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:37:25 pm »

Yes, if you only use the A30, M5, M6, M62, A1 and A9.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »

Yes, if you only use the A30, M5, M6, M62, A1 and A9.

I knew there was an easier route than the one I was plotting!

« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2008, 01:49:47 pm »

I used a Vista HCx on my LEJoG this year and it was perfect.  Each day was pre-planned and stored as a separate route, and the batteries lasted just under 2 days a time.  Note -  when you switch on the unit after changing the batteries it just carries on the current route from where you left off!

I only went wrong twice in 6 days, and that was when I followed street signs rather than trusting the Garmin!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »
Another vote for the Vista HCX. And as they are reaching the end of their life there might be some good deals to be had. Mine came from the US and was dirt cheap. That may not be the case now.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:29:07 pm »

Yes - I have the files somewhere ... it was plotted on Memory Map in daily chunks and then tweaked the tracks/waypoints ... can't remember quite how.  I'll have a look.   The actual route is at   Beewee - Home of Rob's Miscellanea - Home  and the JOGLE link.

Rob

gonzo

« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:35:07 pm »
I've got a 705 and it can be great depending on what you want from it. As a bike computer, there is nothing better. The GPS feels more like an added function than an integral one.

I've used the 705 for planning routes in unfamiliar areas and it's been absolutely fine with that. What I've had problems with is telling it to take me home.

It's also worth noting that you can plan some extremely detailed intervals on the 605/705. Oh yeah, you can also add a power meter ata  later date if you feel the need.

« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:50:16 pm »
Another vote for the Vista HCX. And as they are reaching the end of their life there might be some good deals to be had.

I'll be sorry when that happens - I'm not sure that the more recent incarnations are as reliable or as easy on the batteries.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:56:50 pm »
Indeed. Mine was out with me this morning. I can't see me needing to upgrade it for many years.

« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2008, 02:59:46 pm »
I hope they continue to support it. There was a fairly recent update for the HCx software (v2.80) that fixed one of the things mine did (shut-down when pressing menu button if on highway page) despite the Colorado and Oregon.

« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2008, 05:02:26 pm »

You don't need to hold the entire route on it.  Scotland requires no GPS, and you can route yourself via home and change the routes on your unit.

BTW you are welcome to borrow my 60csx if you want.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2008, 05:17:14 pm »

Any of the Garmins (maybe not the 605/705) can store a laney LE-JoG route easily - twice over if you like (as track and as route).  Even the old pre-memory-card Legend C has no problems with this.
I've got a Le-Jog file with 19 routes (includes a few days getting to and from the ends) made up of about 1200 points, and 17 tracks averaging about 450 points each, this is well within spec for most Garmins.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »
I've well and truly hijacked FB's thread!  :-[

PS thanks to all - esp Mr P for his offer!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:19:40 pm »
You don't need to hold the entire route on it.  Scotland requires no GPS, and you can route yourself via home and change the routes on your unit.

I would submit that it depends on your route. It will need far fewer waypoints, but would still be useful, depending on the route chosen.

I am looking at cycle mounted GPS. I have a GPS that can act as a data logger but it doesn't do maps. I have a phone that can do maps but it has limited battery life then, and keeps blanking the screen after a small number of seconds.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #21 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:31:30 pm »
I'm speaking from my experience of owning 2 gps units and having done a laney LeJOG with one of them, and knowing Jaded  ;)

You are right, he probably can't navigate that intricate spider's web of Scottish roads without a gps  ;D ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 10 November, 2008, 02:03:18 pm »
Casts his mind back to some deep hollow Mr P had fallen into and couldn't get out of because his GPS was shielded by trees. I had to help him. "It's this way!", I said, pointing down the lane ahead of us.  ;D