Author Topic: Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma - 200k - Tewkesbury - Saturday February 6th.  (Read 12051 times)

I trust I will be back for the Rugby?
I've aranged for it to be shown on the large screen TVs at arrivee
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

On one notable occasion I was kneeling down gripping my bike for fear of it (and me) blowing away but the path remained open.

I think this falls squarely into the category of "feats of audaciousness which I have no desire to emulate" ...  :)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Have never DNS'd before but these conditions look a bit too much for me to consider the day a fun experience (we are meant to enjoy it, aren't we?).

Have e-mailed Mark to let him know - don't think I'll be the last.

But the senseless guilt I feel.....where does that come from?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

I'll be there. It's only water and it's fairly warm at least. Might be worth having a mop on standby at the Wetherspoons though.

I'll be there, just trying to work out which bike to use.

To be honest the only iffy bit regards to the wind is likely to be the Severn Bridge as long as you use the Northen cycle path (going by the wind direction from the weather forecast) it shouldnt be too scarey. The first bit is through lanes with high hedges providing shelter a reckon a bit of a head wind from Wormelow to Chepstow, cross wind across the Bridge and then a helping hand after Malmesbury. Mind the 2 or 3 inches of rain might be unpleasant.
Eddington Number 75

I generally find that the weather on the day is never as bad as that predicted.  Of course there are always exceptions, but I'm still planning to go.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re the Severn Bridge, I have crossed the cyclepath when the bridge is closed to all vehicles due to high winds. Best to use the downwind side which will be the side furthest away from Bristol this weekend.

On one notable occasion I was kneeling down gripping my bike for fear of it (and me) blowing away but the path remained open.

Not the only Banjo incident on the Severn Bridge though is it?

Didn't you once get ill on a ride and throw up over the side of the bridge. Some passers by thought you were a "jumper" and insisted on walking you to safety?  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

The stage back to Tewkesbury will be pure awesome.

(I won't be riding though )

I feel much the same. That said I would rather DNS than DNF. If the weather does turn out as predicted that would be a real possibility. The gales and the rain combined would make the ride truly unpleasant at best, dangerous at worst.

Sorry Mark, but it is a DNS for me.

321up

• 59° N
We set off for Tewkesbury this morning but only got 7km before breaking down :'(

Crossing the Severn Bridge was fine last time we did it when it was windy, but take care on the last 100m where the wind can much stronger due to being funnelled along the coast.

Have fun  :thumbsup:

I will be there. 

First Audax for a while, it could be whose, as Mike says it's only a bit of water and quite warm plus no ice.

Joolz

Have never DNS'd before but these conditions look a bit too much for me to consider the day a fun experience (we are meant to enjoy it, aren't we?).

Have e-mailed Mark to let him know - don't think I'll be the last.

Don`t know but feel slightly same;

however each and every will have own reasons for wanting ride a 200---is it for pleasure  / scenery / comaraderie / sense achievement / having `conquered` difficult conditions?

Personally I`d like an enjoyable, challenging ride  , and  chat to those I know type ride and expected conditions rule out the enjoyment factor big time. have had enough this winter of wet and windy conditions !!! just pure unenjoyable slog :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Off to bed now to (hopefully) sleep (no caffeine) all day. If the weather looks grotty/windy at 1am, I won't slog over  :(
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Off to bed now to (hopefully) sleep (no caffeine) all day. If the weather looks grotty/windy at 1am, I won't slog over  :(

This http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/gcmbgp1s7#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1454659200&zoom=7&lon=-2.89&lat=52.52 may help you decide---play spot the rain band !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

That is history and while I can see a rain band that is forecast to be decaying in East Anglia by the early hours of tomorrow the rain band is still somewhere southwest of Ireland practicing being wet and windy for tomorrow's ride.

Re the Severn Bridge, I have crossed the cyclepath when the bridge is closed to all vehicles due to high winds. Best to use the downwind side which will be the side furthest away from Bristol this weekend.

Thank you Banjo for those words of reassurance. The bike is now safely packed in the back of the car with knee pads at the ready.

About to leave for my porridge with honey and banana and coffee!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Not the only Banjo incident on the Severn Bridge though is it?

Didn't you once get ill on a ride and throw up over the side of the bridge. Some passers by thought you were a "jumper" and insisted on walking you to safety?  ;D

Yes ,that's one incident I would prefer to forget, laid low by a chicken sandwich.

good luck everyone.

That is history and while I can see a rain band that is forecast to be decaying in East Anglia by the early hours of tomorrow the rain band is still somewhere southwest of Ireland practicing being wet and windy for tomorrow's ride.

rain band has practised very well and it`s set in as  steady heavy rain now---big SW England shaped and sized wodge of rain heading NE;

Bon courage to all riding  :thumbsup:

Lots of audacious boys and girls have ventured into the looming daylight.

I'm sure they will feel short-changed if the predicted gale force wind & rain doesn't arrive soon
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lots of audacious boys and girls have ventured into the looming daylight.

I'm sure they will feel short-changed if the predicted gale force wind & rain doesn't arrive soon
I hope they survive...if Bikey Mikey's riding today, I hope he attaches ballast to his bike before he attempts the Severn bridge :o.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

I have just heard that the Severn Bridge has now been CLOSED because of the winds  :o

sorry mark i have decided not to ride today
Remember don't eat yellow snow

iddu

• Are we there yet?
[Olthwaite]Type 7, 23, 17, 32...[/Olthwaite]

So far  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

It is very windy in Gloucestershire