Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What was the last film you watched?

<< < (1466/2092) > >>

citoyen:
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Lovely, lovely film, but the pacing was all over the place - one minute it was their first day in the bush, the next moment they'd been there six weeks (but of course they still looked as fresh and fit as the first day). As a result, I felt the 'bonding' between Ricky and Hec wasn't all that convincing. Good performances from both lead actors though. I suspect there's a lot more story in the book.

ian:
Pirates of the Caribbean 82 or whatever they're on. Not really my thing, I don't think I've managed to stay awake through an entire movie in the series, and I continued the theme with a little nap. Well, it was very warm in the cinema and I'd had a half pint or two of a splendid double IPA in the Waterloo Tap beforehand.

I don't, as a result, remember much. Same plot as the others, they probably spent the entire GDP of Africa on visuals and $17 on the script, and Johnny Depp is getting on under all that make-up and fancy dress. It took me quite a while to realise Keira Knightley wasn't Keira Knightley. Well, I thought she looked younger, but hey, it's Hollywood and they can airbrush that shit out. Anyway, some other actress who admittedly was the best thing in it, though I suspect her appeal had less to the do with the movie (good god, I just Googled and she was born in 1992, so now I feel a bit creepy for even entertaining those thoughts).

Anyway, it was a nice nap. Though don't tell my wife, because I told her that I was awake.

LEE:
Jean de Florrette and then the 2nd part, Manon des Source.

It's probably the 4th time I've "done the double".  I just love them.  The pace of the films is perfect and they are beautiful to look at.

A simple story of petty local disputes and family ties..and  greed of course.....but it's much better than that sounds.

It's worth pointing out that the two films are part 1 and 2 of the one story, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Nuncio:
I've done the double once, a long time ago. I can't remember the details of the film, but I'm getting a fuzzy feeling thinking about them.

citoyen:

--- Quote from: Nuncio on 01 June, 2017, 01:41:47 pm ---I'm getting a fuzzy feeling thinking about them.

--- End quote ---

Yes, ISTR there's a particular scene that had that effect on me when watching those films as a teenage boy...

That aside, I think I actually preferred the other Pagnol double - La Gloire de mon Père and Le Château de ma Mère

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version