Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1756681 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3825 on: 21 March, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
My ride from Shenfield to Terling was unexceptional enough.  I got to The Monkey, aka the Terling Inn, aka The Rayleigh Arms to find Huggy sat on his lonesome.  Tomsk turned up a few minutes after me.

It's good that the pub is open and is a community resource, there were some locals in chatting and playing darts, but as a destination boozer it's well short of the mark.  The place is vast with high ceilings and consequently has a complete lack of atmosphere.  It was almost bad enough to be a GBG pub  ;D  except for the fact that I had to return my second pint as it had a funny smell.

I'm looking forward to The Cats next week  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3826 on: 25 March, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »
I shan't be out this week so will have to postpone the Cats till next week maybe? Post Arrow warm down / celebration?

Might be up for curry at Spoons on Thursday if I'm allowed to join in. What time are you planning on being there? Probably be able to make it for 8.00ish

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3827 on: 25 March, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
I shan't be out this week so will have to postpone the Cats till next week maybe? Post Arrow warm down / celebration?

Oh bum, that's a shame.  I still want to get out so who else is about and does anyone have any suggestions?

Might be up for curry at Spoons on Thursday if I'm allowed to join in. What time are you planning on being there? Probably be able to make it for 8.00ish

The current plan is meet up at 6:30pm.  WAGs are involved so small children and their bedtimes need to be taken into consideration  (or so I'm told  ;D  )

« Reply #3828 on: 25 March, 2013, 02:25:49 pm »
Oh bum, that's a shame.  I still want to get out so who else is about and does anyone have any suggestions?

I'll have to see. Don't know how the week is going to pan out. Which day did you want to go out? I might be riding from Shenfield if it's tomorrow. Maybe Witham if it's Wednesday.

Count me out for curry. I'll still be at work at 6.30 on Thursday :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3829 on: 25 March, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »
... Which day did you want to go out?

I can only get out on Wednesday evening.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3830 on: 25 March, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »
I'm ok for Wednesday, 'Cats' or otherwise.

I will be flashing shiny new badges to tempt the unwary Essex Randonneur.

Does Rudolph have a willing human for Friday or has sanity prevailed?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3831 on: 25 March, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »
How does this look to the Withamite panel for Wednesday?  Not sure I like the bit around Coggeshall, happy for other suggestions!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=517295

My thinking was to try to keep to treated roads and have some North Easterly riding to scare ourselves with the headwind on Friday and end up in The Wagon & Horses or King Billy at Braintree where Tomsk can flash his wares at us.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3832 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:11:51 pm »
How does this look to the Withamite panel for Wednesday?  Not sure I like the bit around Coggeshall, happy for other suggestions!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=517295

My thinking was to try to keep to treated roads and have some North Easterly riding to scare ourselves with the headwind on Friday and end up in The Wagon & Horses or King Billy at Braintree where Tomsk can flash his wares at us.

Looks fine, nice one Huggy. 

I might need you to pop round to mine beforehand.  I should have something for you to sign  ;)  (mum's the word ... careless talk costs lives ... ears have walls etc)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3833 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
Waggon & Horses  :thumbsup:

Another chance to practice the willpower needed to leave a nice cosy pub - all good training...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3834 on: 26 March, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
How does this look to the Withamite panel for Wednesday? 

looks good to me!

Does Rudolph have a willing human for Friday or has sanity prevailed?

Sanity has indeed prevailed... despite the prospect of a Wetherspoons in Wisbech, combined with seeing this story in the paper today.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3835 on: 26 March, 2013, 08:48:47 am »
Blimey, that reindeer suit looks exactly like The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny!

« Reply #3836 on: 26 March, 2013, 11:30:42 am »
Saw that as well. The 'unidentified victim' could have been you? Been to Swindon lately?

Just think what could have happened if Katie's hen do had gone pear shaped :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3837 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:25:12 pm »
It was more likely to have gone pear shaped at The Blue Boar with the Scottish bloke. I'm not sure what he liked the least. It was a toss up between me, the reindeer pelt or my sweaty bar towel.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3838 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:11:12 pm »
Contrary to my message to OD earlier this evening I estimate that our ride time to The Waggon & Horses is 2 and a half hours, therefore if we set off at 7:30 then we'll likely be at the nice cosy pub at about 10pm.  It'll be practice for a shortish stop before venturing out to frost biten bikes again  :-\
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3839 on: 27 March, 2013, 06:44:11 am »
Contrary to my message to OD earlier this evening I estimate that our ride time to The Waggon & Horses is 2 and a half hours, therefore if we set off at 7:30 then we'll likely be at the nice cosy pub at about 10pm.  It'll be practice for a shortish stop before venturing out to frost biten bikes again  :-\

Deep joy. 

What's happened here?  Just cos Oaky has got himself a new job (Head of Gritting) on our Arrows team you want one too?  Not content with being Route Master and Rulz Wrangler you now want to be Head of Endurance Training, Character Forming and Acclimatisation?  You'll need a very wide business card! 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3840 on: 27 March, 2013, 06:46:48 am »
And by the way, according to Google (which does have two "g"s), the Wagon & Horses only has one  :P   ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3841 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:18:09 am »
I'm hoping to get back from That London in time to ride together on this.  If that's the case, then I'll hang around by the Jack&Jenny as usual just after 7:30.

If I'm delayed by work, then I'll meet you at the pub (probably via a slightly shortened route to avoid missing last orders ;))
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3842 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:19:16 am »
Ok, I'll aim for 9:30 - 10-ish then....The final tweek to the 'training'....

I've done the Wet Arrow, the Hot Fast One [southerly tailie, with extra pub stops neccesssary  :thumbsup:], the Frantic One [trying to keep up with my two super speedy domestiques] and the Damn Close Shave Windy Slog; we've had the ideal winter to prepare for the Cold One, but at least its not a N/NW wind. Being optimistic, we're in for a mixture of head/cross and tail winds.....and dry too!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3843 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:23:00 am »
Dear Easter Bunny

Do you give out presents and grant wishes like Father Christmas does?  If so, please can I not have an icy Easter Arrow?  Also, I don't really want any head winds.  I have been a good boy most of the time and have been training hard, well I have over the last few weeks.

Lots of love

Steve

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3844 on: 28 March, 2013, 08:22:44 am »

« Reply #3845 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:56:21 am »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3846 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:57:50 am »
Medicinal   :smug:

« Reply #3847 on: 28 March, 2013, 11:26:58 am »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3848 on: 28 March, 2013, 11:31:54 am »

« Reply #3849 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:09:35 pm »
That's not mild.  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1