Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1756821 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7825 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »
I might be out tonight....all the others in the house are off to 1 Direction (so sad I missed out on a ticket :facepalm:)

I'm sure OD can play some for you on his bluetooth boombox.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7826 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »
LOL - so I am unclear about how this train thing works from Colchester... there's a few stations. 

Colchester Town (22:05 & 23:00) appears to go to Chelmsford as does trains from Colchester, however the trains from Colchester to Chelmsford are on a bus replacement but the ones from Colchester Town (which stop @ Colchester Station) are not !?!?!

??? ??? ???

If I set of around 17:20 ish I should be able to make the meeting point, but I am trying to find a route which has less A12 in it :)

I'll ask GA on Twitter what the score it...

Colchester Town or the main Colchester station will both work.  There will be more trains stopping at the main Colchester station as its on the main line.
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7827 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:27:55 pm »
If I set of around 17:20 ish I should be able to make the meeting point, but I am trying to find a route which has less A12 in it :)

Boreham Road1 to Hat Pev then A12 cycle path to Witham...?

[1] a.k.a. A12-lite

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7828 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
I might be out tonight....all the others in the house are off to 1 Direction (so sad I missed out on a ticket :facepalm:)

I'm sure OD can play some for you on his bluetooth boombox.

Funny you should mention my Carradice Bluetooth speaker accessory.  It seems to have disappeared, I was looking for it the other day

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7829 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:37:28 pm »
So now you can only regale us with the John Cage piece?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7830 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
So now you can only regale us with the John Cage piece?

Offy Fucky  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7831 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:43:20 pm »

Boreham Road1 to Hat Pev then A12 cycle path to Witham...?

[1] a.k.a. A12-lite

Yes was trying to avoid that lot at rush hour though as I did it Sunday morning and it was OK but suspect multiple muppets at rush hour time of day... :(  :'(

Looks like the train taking the strain may be a viable option.. going to see if I can grab a bite to eat early and set off circa 17:15ish

GA have confirmed 22:05 and 23:00 from Colchester Town are trains not buses to Chelmsford, so I might be out after all...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7832 on: 30 September, 2015, 04:45:37 pm »
I told you Jim could fix it! 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7833 on: 30 September, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »
Something strange is going on - there hasn't been a radical change of plan in aaaaaages ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7834 on: 30 September, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »
Something strange is going on - there hasn't been a radical change of plan in aaaaaages ;)

You never know,anything could yet happen!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7835 on: 30 September, 2015, 06:51:42 pm »
Well, I am on a train to Witham,  but later than originally planned.   I don't reckon I'll get to the railway in time to catch folks so will head direct to the HA.  I'll probably still ride the official route though, largely because ICBA to plot a different one...

(I guess I could risk the A12 path to Kelvedon to save a mile or so.)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7836 on: 01 October, 2015, 12:44:45 am »
I got away from home just before 8:30, and decided to use the A12 cycle path to Kelvedon to save a little time.  At Kelvedon, I didn't think it worth even checking the Railway, assuming the posse would be long gone (as they were).

I was going pretty well (10 miles from home and ~6 to go to), and on for arrival at the HA around 9:40 when I noticed something was wrong.  When I sat down, there felt like a strange clunk so I stopped to investigate.

For no better reason than it coming as I sat, I first suspected a saddle rail break, but those seemed fine.  I banged hard on the saddle a couple of times and realised it was the rim bottoming out on the road  :facepalm: because I had a flat tyre - why I didn't check that first I'll never know.

I found a possible candidate for the cause of the puncture before getting the tube out, but  putting some air in the tube indicated a hole in the wrong place  ???  Checked the appropriate point on the tyre, but found nothing.  My confusion finally lifted when I realised that I'd somehow turned the tube around when removing it and pumping it to check the hole location and it did, in fact, match where I'd removed the flint from.  D'oh!

Puncture fixed, I contacted the group via OD and huggy to check the lay of the land.  In the back of my mind I still had some uncertainty about whether I'd really found the culprit for my puncture or whether I'd be fixing again later on.  The group were moving on to the curry house next door to the pub at this point, so I decided to ride towards home rather than away in case the worst happened (discretion vs. valour etc.).

I dithered a bit about whether to go straight home, or divert via either the Railway at Kelvedon or somewhere else for a pint nearer to home.  Then I noticed a new rattly noise on the bike.   >:(

Another stop and a bit of fiddling around and I worked out that it was the two spacers between the seatstay bridge and the mudguard that were rattling because the bolt had come a bit loose.  It's one of those that screws in from the mudguard side of the bridge, rather than at 90 degrees, so tightening it would require removing the rear wheel (again).  I peered under the guard and felt around a bit before satisfying myself that there was little danger of it working far enough out to rub on the tyre, so decided to carry on with the plan of a pint somewhere before home.

I settled on the Swan at Little Totham, and got there in time for a couple of Captain Bobs before toddling off home via a route I used to ride a lot more than I have recently.

0% of the initial mission accomplished, but around 26 miles of cycling on a night when short sleeves were (just about) OK for the entire evening.

I blame the forward planning.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7837 on: 01 October, 2015, 07:12:17 am »
Another epically short ride followed by getting the train home ...

Shame Oaky couldn't make it but we had a good turn out all the same. We lingered in The Railway so curry was a bit rushed in order to catch the last train. Much fun all the same.

« Reply #7838 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:13:22 am »
Train  ???

No wonder purists like DL are posted missing.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #7839 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:20:48 am »
It saddens me how low our once great, noble and adventurous band of cycling warriors has fallen. Some of those that do gather at Spa road for our once epic rides now choose to journey home by train.

Has old age turned them into befuddled train spotters? Do they lack moral fibre and mental strength? Are they simply lazy lard arses?

With a tearful eye I survey the future and hope for a resurgence of our collective beer quaffing and cycling abilities.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7840 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
It saddens me how low our once great, noble and adventurous band of cycling warriors has fallen. Some of those that do gather at Spa road for our once epic rides now choose to journey home by train.

Has old age turned them into befuddled train spotters? Do they lack moral fibre and mental strength? Are they simply lazy lard arses?

With a tearful eye I survey the future and hope for a resurgence of our collective beer quaffing and cycling abilities.
All I can say is that it's all gone a bit south after some of us did PBP and have been a bad influence on those less strong of heart  :facepalm:
 ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #7841 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:40:28 am »
And the Benevolent Dictator's excuse ?

Two founder members pictured smiling on a train back from the pub. Audacious stuff.

Sister Carol, we might have to form a Colchester splinter group or cell as you communists say.  Then again, that's far too much effort.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7842 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:42:48 am »
I must add that I was not the bad influence insisting upon using the train, I merely succumbed to OD's desire to do something different on a Wednesday night!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7843 on: 01 October, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »
I must add that I was not the bad influence insisting upon using the train, I merely succumbed to OD's desire to do something different on a Wednesday night!

There's got to be a way to reply to this post using the words "Doggers'" and "Lane"...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7844 on: 01 October, 2015, 04:10:39 pm »
Although it pains me to acknowledge the fact, I think that Wednesday nights and dogging will forever be linked so cannot be used as points of differentiation.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7845 on: 05 October, 2015, 06:18:04 pm »
How about The Hurdlemakers on Wednesday evening?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7846 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:51:52 pm »
I second The Hurdlemakers, though it was quite busy and hard to get seated last time.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7847 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:53:57 pm »
Potentially, I'm in that London on Wed, so may be challenging, will see how the day goes and try and remember to get the lights on charge before I go...
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7848 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
Suits me, I'm in That London on Thursday so don't want a late night

« Reply #7849 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:57:04 pm »
How about The Hurdlemakers on Wednesday evening?

It's 8 miles from the nearest train station ;)