Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1756949 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #17500 on: 23 February, 2022, 05:13:37 pm »
Nice, thanks, all and probably be there between 8.00 and 8.30 then as I am still at work!

See you later! :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17501 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:27:52 pm »
Don't wait for me at the RBT, don't think I'm going to make it
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17502 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:40:37 pm »
Don't wait for me at the RBT, don't think I'm going to make it

Colonials?  Would it help if we kidnapped you?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17503 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:53:34 pm »
Colonials
Not sure kidnapping would help at this juncture, I've not even been to the shed to check the bike still has two wheels and a chain, or anything else for that matter

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17504 on: 24 February, 2022, 08:11:37 am »
Hello lovely people, how about we celebrate Spring having started and the clocks about to be changing, with a follow-up event at chief’s gaff? Perhaps Friday the 25th March?:

•   Arrival at the Chequers, Great Tey any time ready for curry and a naan bread that will be served at 8pm
•   A few light refreshments before cycling back to my place for around 10PM (ish) - it's about a 10-15 minute ride
•   Tent setup and fire will be lit – I’ll provide seating for everyone
•   ~1 cubic foot of Pizzas/garlic bread will be served for late night munchies
•   Drinks into the night
•   Head-off by mid-morning to start the weekend

Facilities are in the process of being upgraded with such luxuries as a lav’ light and an on-demand hot water tap.

Bring anything you’d like to drink for the evening but I’ll also put on a couple of ales – likely from the Mighty Oak Brewing company

Donation of £6 each toward the chicken curry and naan at the Chequers would be greatly appreciated.  They will also put on a veggie option but please let me know before hand.  Further dietary requirements need to be organised directly - can always order straight off the menu

If you could let me know numbers that would be great 

Cracking time last time, sure it will be the same this time :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #17505 on: 28 February, 2022, 02:47:17 pm »
People mentioned the Cats for this week? (Don't mean to be taking over the forward planning, but will probably be working Wednesday nights permanently from the 23rd March  :( :-[)
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17506 on: 28 February, 2022, 02:53:37 pm »
People mentioned the Cats for this week? (Don't mean to be taking over the forward planning, but will probably be working Wednesday nights permanently from the 23rd March  :( :-[)

I could be around this week and The Cats always works for me.  Good Old Wally!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17507 on: 28 February, 2022, 06:04:42 pm »
I'm in York this week (well if I can get any fuel I will be!  ::-) )
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17508 on: 28 February, 2022, 06:39:21 pm »
The Cats works for me.  :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17509 on: 28 February, 2022, 09:05:07 pm »
There is the best Grim King you'll ever taste at the Cats. It would be lovely to see Wally again. Not sure about the doll's House decor, but I'm in.

« Reply #17510 on: 02 March, 2022, 05:30:01 pm »
Sorry, not out this week🥲 Have a good one!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17511 on: 02 March, 2022, 06:25:11 pm »
Change of plan, I'm staying home.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17512 on: 02 March, 2022, 06:28:05 pm »
I suddenly have an attack of high CBA too. See some of you on Saturday!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17513 on: 02 March, 2022, 06:32:48 pm »

You chose the pub!

I think you deserve a special "hard as nails" award.

« Reply #17514 on: 02 March, 2022, 08:05:49 pm »
Off to Paris for the weekend, so not out tonight or for Horsepower. Have fun if you are riding!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #17515 on: 07 March, 2022, 09:11:45 pm »
As the "interimming" forward planning officer, can I suggest the Queen's Head, Boreham this week?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #17516 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:10:05 pm »
Sounds good to me, I will ask the boss for a permission slip.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17517 on: 08 March, 2022, 06:55:03 am »
I'm away, Rochdale  :(

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17518 on: 08 March, 2022, 12:59:48 pm »
I'm at home but in plague house but no positive test for me yet, not sure I'll make it on that basis, still feels a bit uncomfortable to head out knowing it's in the house and I could flip to positive any time
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17519 on: 08 March, 2022, 05:15:35 pm »
I'm at home but in plague house but no positive test for me yet, not sure I'll make it on that basis, still feels a bit uncomfortable to head out knowing it's in the house and I could flip to positive any time

:( Ann is testing regularly having been in contact. Not sure if I should be out this week really ...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #17520 on: 08 March, 2022, 05:54:54 pm »
I will be out to play, tested yesterday (passed) following exposure to the masses of cyclists at Dunmow and the petrolheads at Snetterton.

A few locals have tested positive - common link seems to be exposure to children or the NHS!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17521 on: 08 March, 2022, 06:03:41 pm »
I was LFT'ing daily leading up to, including morning of, before going to Dunmow because Laura is currently enjoying a visit from the C-19 virus, so far I am my usual negative self. However, I have developed a regular common cold that has me coughing and the snot factory is in full production.
I am therefore highly unlikely to be out this week, again, so as to not share my infection with you.

« Reply #17522 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:24:07 pm »
Not out this week as bike in pieces doing new brake pads and cables. Might do the gear cables as well.

While on the subject of maintenance, does this river of rusty stuff mean my head bearings need replacing?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #17523 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:52:44 am »
Not out this week as bike in pieces doing new brake pads and cables. Might do the gear cables as well.

While on the subject of maintenance, does this river of rusty stuff mean my head bearings need replacing?

Doesn’t look very pretty, but your headset might be ok - if there’s any knocking when you rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on, it’s not so good. It might be that water has got in between you steerer tube and head tube. Best to take apart, clean it up and regrease. But if there’s knocking and movement with the test above, time to change the headset. Though it could also mean that your headset cap isn’t screwed down tight enough! BFC will be along in a sec to give you the correct instructions…

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #17524 on: 09 March, 2022, 11:44:04 am »

Doesn’t look very pretty, but your headset might be ok - if there’s any knocking when you rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on, it’s not so good. It might be that water has got in between you steerer tube and head tube. Best to take apart, clean it up and regrease. But if there’s knocking and movement with the test above, time to change the headset. Though it could also mean that your headset cap isn’t screwed down tight enough! BFC will be along in a sec to give you the correct instructions…
Strip the headset, it is an integrated type of which there are "a few" options/versions. It is probable that water has gone into the bearing assemblies, flushing and re greasing may work but it is probable that the steering will become "indexed".
Identify the headset variant whilst it is apart, there are some differences in bearing OD for the 1 1/8" formats but also two options of cup angle (36 or 45), check both bearings - some variants had different angled seats top/bottom. Bearings may be marked with an industry standard code.
Consider trying to source a stainless steel variant if buying a replacement.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

and a fairly thorough listing of cartridge bearing replacements

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Cycling-/-Biking-Bike-Bearings-Cycle-Bearings/c5409_5413_7218/index.html?selection=Angular+Contact+Headset+Ball+Bearings