Author Topic: Converting a threaded forked bike to unthreaded/AHead  (Read 4663 times)

Converting a threaded forked bike to unthreaded/AHead
« on: 22 November, 2015, 02:43:27 pm »
I have a bike with threaded forks, but they are awful, BSO ones. Heavy and crap.

The choice of threaded suspension forks that are disc-compatible is very limited, so I was wondering how easy (or otherwise) is would be to convert to unthreaded forks. I have plenty of stems to choose from and the choice of forks is vastly widened.

Would I need to replace the headset and/or anything else as well?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Converting a threaded forked bike to unthreaded/AHead
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2015, 02:57:51 pm »
My audax bike is a convert.   I whipped out the forks and headset, installed a threadless headset, added stem and bars and it all works just dandy.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2015, 02:58:43 pm »
You can get a threaded-to-threadless conversion thingy
You attach it in a quill stem stylee and then put your aheadset stem onto it.
Look up quill to ahead set converter or similar
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »
But as the threaded forks are rubbish, you don't want to do that  :)

You will need a new headset and a new stem to suit yr forks. One caution - what size threaded forks do you have - steerer diameter?  If you have 1" you may find your choice of thread less forks and headset even more limited than threaded ones.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2015, 03:05:44 pm »
One caution - what size threaded forks do you have - steerer diameter?  If you have 1" you may find your choice of thread less forks and headset even more limited than threaded ones.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention, they're 1 1/8".

Right PB, I'll be after your headset vice (thingamajig) by the sound of things...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »
Press.

No probs.   Bring the croissants and coffee and I'll provide the tools...

« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:22:07 am »
Just reviving this, is there any particular type of headset I should be looking for?

« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:23:43 am »
Not really, FSA ones are good enough.  One with a split crown race for the forks would be handy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:38:08 am »
The Park Tool website is quite a good source of how-to articals. In this case: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threadless-headset-service#article-section-2 
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:12:14 am »
The headset press remains available.   Will you be wanting the old one removing as well?

« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »
Probably/possibly, PB. At the moment, I'm just weighing up whether it's worth spending the money or cutting my losses and getting a replacement bike more suited to my commute.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:18:54 pm »
I've done this conversion on three bikes.  They were all 1" head tubes but it was slightly easier to find 1" threadless forks and headsets a decade ago than it is now.  I bought spare headset bearings!  One fork was custom made by Argos which, of course, is always an option if you want steel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:20:15 pm »
I do want a suspension fork, but the clunker I have right now is awful. 700c suspension forks are somewhat rarer than 26" ones, but there are some out there by Suntour and RST. Travel is between 50 & 75mm, which is probably enough for on-road use.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »
I do want a suspension fork, but the clunker I have right now is awful. 700c suspension forks are somewhat rarer than 26" ones, but there are some out there by Suntour and RST. Travel is between 50 & 75mm, which is probably enough for on-road use.

Not really - surely you can use a 29er fork, plenty of choice out there.

« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:15:49 pm »
Is the bike disk braked or rim?  A 622 rim with 28mm tyres, say, is pretty much the same diameter as a 559 rim with 60mm tyres, so if you have disk brakes a 26" fork should do fine. And with manufacturers phasing out 26" bikes, the second hand market for good 26" forks ought to favour the buyer at the moment.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #15 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:35:42 pm »
It's disc-braked and is a relatively fast commuter, so I don't want to run larger tyres. I still think ~60mm travel is adequate for road use, and that's what its use will be. I've got other bikes for off-road use with 120mm travel. I've seen some decent Suntour forks weighing <2Kg. I'll wager that is more than 1Kg lighter than the crap on the bike now.

« Reply #16 on: 27 November, 2015, 07:59:34 pm »
OK, I'm intrigued by the 29" sus-fork option. I'd not considered it, but On-One have a pair on sale at £100.

How much longer, if at all, than a 700c fork would they be?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #17 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:42:44 am »
Most fork specs will give an axle to crown measurement.

Do  you NEED a suspension fork for your commute? There's a really light rigid alloy fork available. Search for 'Mosso' on the bay. Delivery takes a while mind.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:27:23 am »
One other think to consider is the type of headset. External or semi-integrated. The latter are rare in threaded form.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #19 on: 30 November, 2015, 02:09:48 pm »
I'm happy to change to a-head stem from threaded. I've more or less got to accept that. I don't need to have a sus fork, but surely the crown is too big for a non-sus fork?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #20 on: 30 November, 2015, 06:30:37 pm »
28.6 steerer - 30mm crown. Or do you mean axle to crown dimension?
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:49:17 pm »
This fork will serve well, it has a lock out, coil spring and hydraulic damping. Weighs 2.1kg and has 63mm travel. How it compares to your existing fork I don't know.

This is the rigid fork I mentioned upthread. Weighs less than a kilo, axle to crown measurement is 445mm so I'd guess the ride height would be equivalent to the original (or the Suntour) at half travel i.e. normal sag under your bodyweight.

Headset. I'd go for a basic ball bearing job which you should be able to pick up for around 10-15 quid. A stem should be around the same (if you tell me what length I can probably sort you one from stock). Don't forget to add some spacers to your shopping list and i would advise against cutting the steerer down on whichever fork you get until you are happy with the stem height.

VELOMANCER

« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2015, 07:56:07 am »
Thanks John. The rigid direction is one to consider once I assess damage inflicted in an incident on Monday...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23 on: 02 December, 2015, 08:45:12 am »
Doesn't sound good. Hope you're OK.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #24 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:31:44 am »
I'm fine even tough it was a rolling incident, but the rear derailleur disintegrated. I need daylight to assess any further damage. The worst part was the walk home with the bike in the heavy rain along a stretch of country lane.