Random Musings > Kidstuff

Daft? question about Islabikes.

(1/3) > >>

CrinklyLion:
Well, as some of you may have noticed, I have been obsessively researching kids bikes of late.  And I found the Islabike Luath and it made me drool... but more for me than for my boy (although he did like it too), to be honest!  I'm looking to buy me a new bike sometime in the spring, and I'm trying to work out if it would be a completely silly idea to get a Luath for me.  The nicest bike I've ever has the use of was one that I bought for about 25 quid off a bloke in my local - it was a Raleigh boys racer and it felt absolutley perfect.  I think I donated it someone in the same pub when I left and moved to France for a while.  I'm a right shortie (5'2") and a complete numpty at bike maintenance, so I'm wondering if actually a kids bike might be just the ticket.  What do you think?

hellymedic:
I seem to remember Isla herself is not very tall and well-acquainted with the problems of a petite lady; Could you email her for advice?

clarion:
Isla is indeed of shorter stature, and for many years found it difficult to get a top-level frame to fit.  I recall an article in New Cyclist about that, and her plans to build an urban bike for adults - whether tall or short - which predated the rush for compact frames.

She is very experienced about what works & what doesn't. 

I'd ride a Luath if I could ;)

DrMekon:
My missus is 5'2, and if funds won't stretch to a Roberts, she'll be on a Luath when I persuade her that cycling on roads isn't just about getting to the woods or doing shopping.

Bledlow:
Mrs B is 156cm, i.e. 5' 1 1/2", & has small hands. Her old road bike is pretty old & knackered, but she's told me off in the past for offering to buy her an expensive custom bike (to get one the right size) to replace it. Having now had my attention drawn to the Luath, I can't help thinking it looks like just the right bike for her.

Maybe Islabikes should market a "small adults" bike, i.e. the Luath under a different name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version