Author Topic: 30mph e-bike velomobile?  (Read 15459 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: 30mph e-bike velomobile?
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »
Unfortunately for the builder he will forever be haunted by his surname. I hate the fact that the Beeb's report saw fit to take the piss 'Ho ho. Wasn't the first attempt at mass electric transport such a friggin' disaster?' instead of focusing on the advantage of enclosed personal powered transport over riding a bike in the rain.

Symptomatic to me that we will NEVER persuade Mr & Mrs Petrolhead to leave the car at home as long as what we are punting as an alternative looks like a bicycle that's had a motor stuck on it. I have concerns of my own with regard to the practicality of this machine but have to recognise and applaud the sentiment behind it. Personally I don't think he's after 'us' as a target market.

No. I'm not going to stump up the deposit and buy one (yet) but hopefully more than one or two will.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 22 February, 2017, 08:46:55 am »
I agree it's a shame about the 'haunting surname' but I'm not sure I understand what you mean beyond that, as neither this nor the C5 look(ed) like a bicycle with a motor added on IMO.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #52 on: 22 February, 2017, 09:02:11 am »
As long as the alternative to cars is something that looks like a bicycle that's had a motor attached then the vast majority will stay with cars until the dinosaur juice runs out. We need people making stuff like this, bringing it to mass media, making people aware of alternatives.

VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 22 February, 2017, 10:00:04 am »
Ah, you mean these e-bike velomobiles (there needs to be a snappier name: electromobiles? e-velos?) are good because they don't look like bikes. Ok!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:21:33 pm »
Indeed.  I see this as converging on the same market as the Renault Twizy from the other direction.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #55 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:08:53 am »
I've just caught up with this post, and the website seems to have changed since early 2017 - no high power option, 30 mile range claimed. Interesting that the £1000 limit for C2W can be passed.
With some experience of winters in vehicles having feeble demisting, and with riding motorcycles, I expect this tricycle to have visibility problems in cool damp conditions. And no wipers? Rapid road-salt blindness.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #56 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:18:21 pm »
Idle curiosity led me to revisit the website.

The price is now an eyewatering four-anna-quarter, deliveries scheduled for '2nd quarter 2018'.

So they should be flooding onto the roads in a fortnight or so. Or not...
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #57 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
Also now described as powered by a 'geared hub motor'. I'm almost certain the original blurb I read mentioned a mid drive.

It still looks like it fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #58 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:48:49 pm »
Resurrection. It's back.

Now suggesting delivery in 2nd quarter 2019. Price hike to four 'n a quarter.
Anybody know if they actually exist...?
VELOMANCER

Phil W

« Reply #59 on: 18 February, 2019, 12:00:11 am »
I've just caught up with this post, and the website seems to have changed since early 2017 - no high power option, 30 mile range claimed. Interesting that the £1000 limit for C2W can be passed.
With some experience of winters in vehicles having feeble demisting, and with riding motorcycles, I expect this tricycle to have visibility problems in cool damp conditions. And no wipers? Rapid road-salt blindness.

C2W does not have a £1000 limit.  Many schemes may set that but it is not an intrinsic feature if C2W. My company set a limit if £5,000 when they first introduced it a number of years back.

« Reply #60 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:01:58 am »

C2W does not have a £1000 limit.  Many schemes may set that but it is not an intrinsic feature if C2W. My company set a limit if £5,000 when they first introduced it a number of years back.
I'm not sure if this is still true, but a few years ago, if the employer wants to go above £1000 then they needed a consumer credit licence. That's a lot of hassle, so if your employer doesn't have one already, chances are they will skip it and leave the limit at £1k.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #61 on: 19 February, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »

I'm not sure if this is still true, but a few years ago, if the employer wants to go above £1000 then they needed a consumer credit licence. That's a lot of hassle, so if your employer doesn't have one already, chances are they will skip it and leave the limit at £1k.

Yes, still the case re a CCL needed for anything more than £1,000.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein