Author Topic: Poor Student 2019  (Read 5737 times)

Re: Poor Student 2019
« Reply #25 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:30:36 pm »
Much better weather than expected and I somehow made it around in under 11 hours, which is amongst my fastest times for completing *any* 200.

I took the canal from Oxford station a big chunk of the way to Peartree. Has a decent enough surface and much better than faffing with Oxford city centre, and I didn't see another person on it.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #26 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »
Great day out, weather not as cold as feared. First time on the Poor Student for me and the Cotswolds were challenging on fixed but a great route. Highlights included meeting Little Wheels and Big and a very good chilli in Malmesbury. Big thanks to Iddu for organising :thumbsup:

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2019, 10:43:46 am »
Thanks Pat, worth the 5am alarm for a brief reunion with friends, Not too cold, the only tiny bit of ice was down in the gravelly gorge (why don't I use the bypass..fool). The event seems to auto-select hardy jollly riders still with a festive spirit,

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2019, 01:01:09 pm »
"And gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here"

Certainly a winter ride but about as good as it gets. Still, dry, quiet and scenic route. Met lots of people on their first audax  :thumbsup: and lots of old friends.

Got lots of tows from passing groups which helped me to one of my fastest audax times. One group of seven or eight managed to pass me eleven times! A real hare and tortoise ride - the hares won. Sometimes I managed to hold on for a while, sometimes they whizzed by much too fast. Also the jolly SWRC peleton provided plenty of light in the dark lanes.

Thanks to all of them, and to iddu for a great day out.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »

"And gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here"

That gully was definitely like going into the breach. Henry V.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2019, 09:59:08 pm »
Cracking route and the large field made it feel quite sociable. That lumpy 20km in the middle really took it out of me but the views & car free roads made up for it. Thanks Pat for the org.

« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2019, 10:22:48 pm »
Probably the most benign PS of the last 5 from a weather perspective. Always look forward to this post-Christmas Feast to work off the pounds labouring up and over the sumptuous Cotswold lanes. A friendly field as always and a chance to meet old acquaintances and new faces too. Hats off to all those doing the ride for the first time, and especially those making this their first audax.

At the end I heard news of some tumbles and some nasty mechanicals too, but hope all made it back safely if not a little sore.

Highlights for me: the discovery of a charmingly, albeit treacherous ford-bridge just around the corner from Adam's Farm; the stunning and heart-warming Christmas tree on the very closing stage towards Oxford; and the valued recommendation to pop a set of down-tube shifters into my saddle bag.

A huge thank you to iddu for organising and offering such a fine route.

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2019, 11:15:09 am »
Thanks Iddu-great ride. The route and lanes were even better than I remembered them from a couple of years ago. First time I can recall for a while wearing two long sleeved thermal vests. I was part of the SWRC group and all 7 of us had a very good day out. Thanks again.

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2019, 01:44:58 pm »
The Poor Student was my first proper audax and it was a great day out, thanks to all involved! Would have been very easy to stay in bed with the temperatures forecast but glad I got out. I did walk up one of the steep hills though 😅 I seem to definitely be a "full value" audaxer, and the tail of bike lights snaking off into the distance was quite a sight. Had some stomach issues near the end but am thinking about a 300 next!