Author Topic: Abingdon Cycle Festival Audax 80km, Sunday 19th April 2015  (Read 1597 times)

Abingdon Cycle Festival Audax 80km, Sunday 19th April 2015
« on: 15 March, 2015, 06:22:40 pm »
I notice this event is back on this year - organised by MattC.  http://aukweb.net/events/detail/15-496/     https://www.facebook.com/cycleabingdon

I'd be hoping to ride, and notso-mini ao is in principle keen to have a go, which is good news. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Abingdon Cycle Festival Audax 80km, Sunday 19th April 2015
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:34:29 pm »
(Belated thanks to Andy for posting this!)

There are a few YACFers on the ride. Please note this change:

Midpoint control (in Longworth) will now be the Blue Boar pub. To get there:
Turn R down Tucks Lane shortly before the Village Hall - you can just about see the pub from this junction.

(They do good-but-not-cheap food from 12:00 - control "opens" at 11:33)

Its a cul-de-sac,  so you just need to retrace afterwards and continue as per routesheet.

Shopping tomorrow - let me know any preferences!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2015, 06:04:45 pm »
Thanks Matt & team - enjoyed the ride, surprisingly chilly given it's been warming up of late.  Good to see some familiar faces.  Great to see the market square packed with cyclists.

Mini-ao's longest cycle to date, and first Audax.  We did a steady 20km/h - she couldn't get the largest two cassette sprockets - but wasn't bothered (must get new shifters on).

Mid way at the Blue Boar...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:11:54 pm »
Well done mini!

Family commitments kept me away again this year, hopefully next year!

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:35:28 pm »
Really pleasant route and a good intro to audax for any newcomers including a couple of comedy GPX routing issues to catch out the non-routesheet followers  ;D

Shame only one of my club mates decided to join me, still we got around pretty quick and were back in the marketplace by 2pm.

Matt signing riders on...

The cycle festival in full swing. Cyclists everywhere, closed roads, rides for all abilities. Excellent stuff!

John

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2015, 08:56:23 pm »
Really pleasant route and a good intro to audax for any newcomers including a couple of comedy GPX routing issues to catch out the non-routesheet followers  ;D

Shame only one of my club mates decided to join me, still we got around pretty quick and were back in the marketplace by 2pm.

Matt signing riders on...

The cycle festival in full swing. Cyclists everywhere, closed roads, rides for all abilities. Excellent stuff!

John

Glad you enjoyed the festival!  Was a great day, a few more degrees C would have helped, but C'est la vie!

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2015, 12:19:22 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the festival!  Was a great day, a few more degrees C would have helped, but C'est la vie!

Looks like you made the Abingdon Blog FF.   :)  http://www.abingdonblog.co.uk/?p=13811

« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

Looks like you made the Abingdon Blog FF.   :)  http://www.abingdonblog.co.uk/?p=13811
Twice it seems!

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »
Hurrah for Matt C and DPCC! I did not even get a chance to pop my head round the corner from the pump track, but looking at the pics it looked a fab ride. I did heroically test the route sheet on the 2013 edition, its a cracking little route