Author Topic: The Cambridge Autumnals — aka "The Cambridge Sausage Fest" — Sat 8 October 2016  (Read 10131 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
We're putting on a pair of 100km and 200km events for the new Audax UK season called The Cambridge Autumnals, starting from Girton, just on the northern fringe of Cambridge.  These are ideal rides to give the winter bike a shakedown, as the routes are straightforward and will be seriously challenging only if the weather's up, and scenic in the sense of having lots of scenery (but not too hilly).  We've test ridden them on fixed-gear, and both routes are fixed-friendly, if your winter-steed's a fixie  ;)

The 200km Cambridge Autumnal heads due east to the historic and picturesque castle-and-market town of Framlingham in Suffolk, as frequented at about 2am just before dawn on the Dunwich Dynamo.  The first stage is a straight 101km stage via Newmarket, Bury St Edmunds and Debenham to Framlingham, but you can pass straight through without stopping and carry on all the way to Fram without putting a foot down (a prize to anyone who manages to do this!).  After a light lunch (or a heavy one if that takes your fancy), the return route gets a little lumpier with a crossways return via Stowmarket to the Maglia Rosso bike shop + café in Hawstead.  It's then a laney run all the way back to Brinkley and the Six Mile Bottom descent back to Cambridge.  Just two commercial controls, zero infos.  Details for the 200 here.

The 100km Cambridge Autumnal climbs up onto the chalk massif via Six Mile Bottom and heads fairly directly to the first control at Great Thurlow.  The next stage hits a series of very narrow, deserted lanes to cross from Suffolk to Essex, visits everyone's favourite medieval Thaxted and heads on to the historic Saffron Walden for lunch.  The return is over a couple of noticeable climbs to Balsham to then blast down the 7km descent to Fulbourn and Cambridge.  We think this is a delightful new route for those not yet confident at 200km in possibly wintry conditions — although who knows, it may be sunny!  8)  Three commercial controls, one info.  Details for the 100 here.

We will be serving hot and cold refreshments at the start, and something hot with plenty of Mrs W's homemade cake at the arrivée  :thumbsup:

The start is easy to get to by train from London and the 8am start of the 200 allows enough time for London-based riders to catch the first train from King's Cross.  Girton is also easy to get to by car.  Hopefully many will simply cycle to the start.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Somehow the stars have aligned and I've been posted an extra rest day on the seventh, so I'm hopefully going to be making this my first 200!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
 :thumbsup:

Need a helper or two? I'll alert the ACME peloton...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Correction to the OP: On the DD, Framlingham is normally approached around 9am! And that's if you are going well...  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

The start is easy to get to by train from London and the 8am start of the 200 allows enough time for London-based riders to catch the first train from King's Cross.  Girton is also easy to get to by car.  Hopefully many will simply cycle to the start.

Thank you for thinking of this  :thumbsup:

The Thameslink train to Cambridge from KX is one of the most bike friendly I've been on - no reservations required, and you can keep your bike with you.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Need a helper or two? I'll alert the ACME peloton...

Thanks Tom — it would be great if someone could help Gareth on the desk pair up riders and brevets and get them away — even someone who's riding, it's just to get through the rush.  And if anyone has a spare few hours in the afternoon, I really need help with stamping brevets at Maglia Rosso in Hawstead through to 6pm when the control closes — they're staying open an extra half hour for us  :thumbsup:

Everything else we have volunteers for, or we'll co-opt on the day  :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels

Thank you for thinking of this  :thumbsup:

You're welcome  :)

Lee Killestein

I'm in! This'll be my third visit to Girton this year. 101km without putting a foot down? Now there's a challenge  :D

Phil W

Time to check the winter bike?

The way this weather is going it'll be time to check the budgie smugglers....

Wintee bike? My audax bike is all year round.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

rob

Entered.   Only ridden one Audax this year.   Hopefully will be a nice day out.

Spoilt for choice in Essex in October, who have thought? Tossing up between this and Ellis Memorial Nick, would like to support both for obvious reasons but might have to favour Richards ride to make sure we get appropriate numbers....

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Spoilt for choice in Essex in October, who have thought? Tossing up between this and Ellis Memorial Nick, would like to support both for obvious reasons but might have to favour Richards ride to make sure we get appropriate numbers....

Understood Al, I'm right with you on that — I'm route-checking the Richard Ellis Memorial 200 this Saturday and I'll be stamping cards on the day  :thumbsup: ... that also means I'm route-checking the Autumnal 200 the Saturday after — crikey, it's coming around quickly!

(But should you feel like a second October ride to get your double-fixed-RRTY off to a great start then feel free to ride both  ;D)

Understood Al, I'm right with you on that — I'm route-checking the Richard Ellis Memorial 200 this Saturday and I'll be stamping cards on the day  :thumbsup: ... that also means I'm route-checking the Autumnal 200 the Saturday after — crikey, it's coming around quickly!

(But should you feel like a second October ride to get your double-fixed-RRTY off to a great start then feel free to ride both  ;D)

My pass out is one long ride a month basically, and I struggle with a single RRTY as it is! Was thinking about a new award with an entry list of one: 1FXRRTY. That's one point a month on a fixie, 12 months in a row, which I actually could managed in winter.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Having ridden the route-check for the Richard Ellis Memorial 200 this weekend, I'll be route-checking the Cambridge Autumnal 200 next Saturday and the 100 a few days later.  I'll send out updated information and routesheets as soon as I can after the route check rides are done  :thumbsup:

All being well, I'll be doing this as my first season's audax and RRTY.

Plenty of space in Girton to park I presume?

Anyone else stopping over at the Premier Inn over the road on the Friday night?

Phil W

I presume Nick will be using the community centre.  If so, then yes plenty of parking. I ECE'd it last winter, so my memory may be fuzzy.

rob

I presume Nick will be using the community centre.  If so, then yes plenty of parking. I ECE'd it last winter, so my memory may be fuzzy.

This from Nick's website :-

"We have been asked to keep the front car park clear for a local football match and for visitors to the recreation ground while you're all away cycling and we won't know until closer to the date whether the back field will be dry enough to park on (as used on the Pork Pie in March.).  Wherever you park, please park considerately."

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels

Yes, there will be plenty of space to park — although we'd prefer it if everyone cycled to the start  ;)

As Rob says, we've been asked to leave the front car park clear at the Pavilion for use while you're all away.  We should have space for cars out the back and there's plenty of safe on-street parking in the village — more than enough if we can't use the field again.

There will be helpers out in hi-viz to guide you on the day  :)

Entered!! Come on headwinds! bring it ON!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
It looks like there will be a minor route change, because the Council's rebuilding a bridge under the A11 at Six Mile Bottom and the road will be completely closed (not even foot traffic as far as I can tell). 

Not a problem — we'll use the Balsham descent instead, but this does mean the routesheet and all the GPS files will need to be updated, in case you've already downloaded the provisional ones.  The alternative route is the same distance as the original one, give or take 200m.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Entered!! Come on headwinds! bring it ON!

I've ordered headwinds just for you Sefi — an easterly in the morning and a westerly in the afternoon.  They rarely deliver on time, though ...

[update] ... and for everyone else I've asked for tailwinds, just don't get too close to Sefi, just in case ... ;)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Re: The Cambridge Autumnals — The Sausage Festival Ride — Sat 8 October 2016
« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »
I checked the 200km route yesterday and there are a few changes necessary — the biggest being the avoidance of Six Mile Bottom.  Some changes to the routesheet, too, for appearance+disappearance of signs.  I will be checking the 100km route this week.

While chatting with someone in Paddy & Scott's café, they pointed out that the Great Framlingham Sausage Festival is taking place on the same day — I'm thinking of renaming the ride "The Cambridge Sausage Fest"!  ;D :thumbsup:

I'm updating the routesheet and GPS tracks at the moment, and I will email all entrants (for whom I have an email address) when the changes are live on the website.

I'm booked up, rather unambitiously for the 100k, but I might ride too the start.

Since you say it's fixie friendly I may use my commuter, not a fixed but not suitable for serious hills.  I live in the fen lands, too many gears are a waste of money!