Author Topic: Newport/Radway  (Read 4380 times)

Newport/Radway
« on: 25 February, 2017, 09:15:23 am »
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride in the Newport 200,  The weather forecast is looking OK, certainly in comparison with some previous editions (2015 wasn't fun as I recall when a DNF and turn round at Radway Green seemed pertinent).  That's quite a tailwind blast kicking in at 15:00 which could be helpful for the return.

Re: Newport/Radway
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2017, 10:28:55 am »
Well it's pretty poor up in The Lakes at present, so I'm looking forward to the balmy climes of Cheshire.  Only problem is that my laminator won't heat up properly - can you iron a routesheet I wonder?

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
An all time great. No majestic mountain ranges or wild seascapes. Just quirky rural-England lanes (that always turn up just where needed) and Weather - there is always weather.
Many Thanks to Neil Shand for keeping it going.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
As Uncle Peter was going over to help, I tagged along, eager to experience the arrivée. Having never knowingly met a bunch of audaxers I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to meet so many happy people who universally seemed to have enjoyed a day's cycling.

Such a refreshing change to meet a bunch of bike riders utterly unconcerned with Strava/PBs/KoMs and other such bullshit.

I can see now how audax gets under your skin. Actually I wouldn't mind having a go mesen . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago on a very new bike (8 miles on the computer at the start).

I had a perfect day's cycling in wall-to-wall sunshine, after some early frost.

Happy days!

« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:46:50 am »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago ...

Me too!  Thanks to Sheila Simpson for starting up the Peak Audax rides all those years ago.  Actually, that ride was probably the precursor to the Chirk 200, which crops up in March.

In those far off days, the Newport 200 had a control at the Shell petrol station, as nothing was open on a Sunday.  Nothing.  At least, nowhere that would welcome a couple of dozen cyclists.  These days, the up-side of Sunday Trading is that the 100 or so cyclists have a choice of Waitrose, Costa, Subway, Aunt Sal's Café, and a garden centre.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:04:02 pm »
I did the precursor to this ride (Cheshire/Shropshire 200) some 22 years ago ...
Me too!  Thanks to Sheila Simpson for starting up the Peak Audax rides all those years ago.  Actually, that ride was probably the precursor to the Chirk 200, which crops up in March.

I suppose so but it was Sunday 26 February, like this year...

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:21:23 pm »

I suppose so but it was Sunday 26 February, like this year...

Yes, 1995.  Can it really be that long ago?  Yes!  And I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2018, 11:39:23 am »
I rode the Newport 200 yesterday with Terry on a cold but dry day.  I noticed a couple of oddities with the GPS files, taking us off route for just a few metres, but I've now corrected these.  You have no excuse for getting lost.

Well, perhaps you might; I've left "turn right at the Blue Bell signed Checkley" on the route sheet even though the Blue Bell Inn has turned into Blue Bell Close housing estate, but at least the Checkley signpost is still there.

We stopped at Waitrose Café in Newport for a small breakfast.  I always like to see the sign there "Carry to your car service", seeing that my car was 100km away in Cheadle.

« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »
A slight change to the Newport 200 route sheet; there will be a controller waiting to stamp your Brevet Card at Newport, in the car park near to Waitrose.  Thanks to Ron Eaton's daughter, Sue, for volunteering for this.  After that you can take your lunch at any café, such as inside Waitrose, the Garden Centre, or at Costa on High Street.  I seem to remember that the Shell petrol station has a coffee machine.

We'll also have someone to stamp your cards at Radway Green - say hello to Terry.  There are cafes at Hall Farm Shop and the nearby Garden Centre, as wel as a coffee machine and hot food counter at Spar.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #10 on: 20 January, 2024, 11:08:56 am »
Riders .
Can now confirm entry into this years NEWPORT 210km is TOTALLY CLOSED to further entries, reserve list overflowing also... please don't plan on an entry if you haven't already been lucky -  no room at the inn ...
All documentation that this years entrants require has been sent electronically, however if difficulty opening these emails, then readers can find all ride info "Peak Audax CtC" web-pages.
Really happy to report that now able to revert back to pre-covid arrangements regards Newport control, AUK Stalwart Ron Eaton & Daughter Sue once again manning NEWPORT control for us -  stamp on your brevet cards required here please.
Quick thanks to 4-Corners Shaun for assisting me with route-checking in appalling conditions & for all his help following my series RTA     x     hope riders next weekend have better roads & less ice than we had.
Please only use ride info found on Peak Audax web-sites , as new route sheet & gps files required for 2024, if you have old un's they'll be inappropriate for 2024 route.
Thanks   Terry from Bury. 
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2024, 03:18:04 pm »
Looking forward to this! New area of the country for us

Please only use ride info found on Peak Audax web-sites , as new route sheet & gps files required for 2024, if you have old un's they'll be inappropriate for 2024 route.

Just to confirm, the GPX file on the AUK calendar event is also the correct one to use? It says this was last updated a couple weeks ago so it seems fresh
https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10142-newport

EDIT: my bad, apparently I'm still confused by USAian dates. It says that file was last updated a year ago, so no doesn't sound like that's a safe file to use  -- possibly worth removing it from the calendar page as not everyone will be reading the update here.

EDIT2: sorry me again, I just looked on the Peak Audax website and I'm getting "File not found" when I follow the GPS FIles link.
http://www.peakaudax.co.uk/Newport.html
->
https://www.aukweb.net/gps/55g.zip
-> 404 error

EDIT3: I think I see the issue
Peak audax links to https://aukweb.net/gps/55g.zip
AUK calendar links  https://aukweb.net/gpx/55g.zip
(Note /gps/ vs /gpx/ in the URL)

So my conclusion is these are intending to be the same file but there's a typo in  the link on the PA website

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2024, 03:36:12 pm »
Please carefully read the above original message....
" All documentation that this years entrants require has been sent electronically, however if difficulty opening these emails, then riders can find all ride info "Peak Audax CtC" web-pages.

All paid up entrants have already been sent all relevant ride info -  optional GPS / GPX files have been tested on Windows & Mac & different Garmin's on two different bikes..   all good & got us round the course no bother...    but it's becoming evident that some riders are unable to open some files depending on their software.. TBH there's little I can do to sort this other than my previous Windows & Mac checks..   Paper route / cue sheets & Brevet cards will be provided at the start.
Thanks   Terry from Bury.
[/quote]
http://www.peakaudax.co.uk/Newport.html

« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2024, 05:16:40 pm »
I've just had a look at the GPS files for the Newport 200 on Sunday 28th January, and everything looks good. You can download the file from either the Peak Audax or Audax UK pages.  These both point to the same file, which is a zipped folder containing the GPX file for last year's ride - which is identical with this year's ride.  It seems to work, or at least I can load it onto BikeHike.

Failing that, there is a link to the route on RideWithGPS and I understand you can export a GPS file from that.

Does that resolve any difficulties?  If not, DM me and I'll see if I can email it to you.

In the olden days, you would have used the route sheet (supplied at the Peak Audax page).  In the not-so olden days, you would plot out your own GPS file from the route sheet.  I always found that half-an-hour well spent, as it gave me an insight into where we were going, and I could often find that I could then ride from memory and not need the GPS file afyer all.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2024, 10:21:08 pm »
I had another look and still have 404 error trying to download the GPS files from the Peak Audax website (the route sheet is fine) but confirmation that the one on auk website is also valid is the main question answered thank you!
Bit moot as we can't make it now anyway.
Thing2 also found the emailed info, it had hit both our spam filters. Fwiw I've been audaxing for 2 decades now, about the same time I've been developing software (including a long stint making web browsers) so I'm okay on skills with both route sheets and IT 😂, just trying to be helpful in pointing out a broken link.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2024, 08:27:13 am »
 :)  If I had a pound £ for every rider who also had my emails later found in thier SPAM / TRASH folders I'd be a wealthy man, with less grey hair & more time to make soup for riders  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2024, 05:32:13 pm »
Spam folders are the wrk of Stan!
My Harrow Times and Cycling UK mails always end up there.
Sometimes emails from the GMC and Mum end up there too.

I try to check my spam first but it is SLOW!

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2024, 09:11:53 am »
Big THANKS to all riders for yesterdays support with Newport 200,  by & large a success with no incidents nor hospital visits...   
Bit of faff & buggeration at 10pm last night with admin error & couple of rouge non-registered riders throwing data outta-kilter, but otherwise a great ride with decent weather for a January.

Pair of cycling gloves found outside village hall 10pm last night too...  when the rightful owner realises, please SMS message me ( inside page your brevet card ) once I'm satisfied they're your gloves I'll happily mail em' home to ya.
Thanks again to all riders & Peak Audax & 4 Corners Audax team of helpers over last 3 weeks..  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2024, 10:02:14 pm »
I've left "turn right at the Blue Bell signed Checkley" on the route sheet even though the Blue Bell Inn has turned into Blue Bell Close housing estate, but at least the Checkley signpost is still there.

I thought that 'R at Blue Bell Closed' on the route sheet was a typo for 'Close' but now suspect otherwise...  Thanks to Terry and the team such splendid weather organising!

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:12:35 pm »
Delph Cyclist and Rev - you will know of the legendary instruction on the North West Passage: "L @ Little Chef (no longer there)", with the last 3 words actually being part of the instruction.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2024, 03:36:31 pm »
Thanks Revellino'    Inspired to have a crack at organising by blokes just like your good self..   :thumbsup:
 fond memories of your Tour of Rheged & of Deano's superb 300' & 200's & John Perrins National 400..  if it wasn't for organisers of your high calibre I really wouldn't have been motivated nor inspired to "put something back into cycling" &  follow your lead..  not easy, but I believe worth it.       

We often have a chuckle at the old Bluebell pub / Bluebell Close direction & Delph Cyclist & I often banter about how the hell I'm  supposed to know about an ow'd pub gone years ago...    :-\
Ride safely.. 

« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2024, 04:18:14 pm »
Terry, is there still a Blue Bell closer to home at the bottom of the climb to the suitably positioned Fairfield Hospital?  I might have it wrong as I haven't ridden that way for a bit.

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #22 on: 02 February, 2024, 06:58:01 pm »
Hiya Peter..
Can't recall one near infirmary, but there's a Blue Bell ( Joey Holts') just round corner from me near Blackford Bridge..
Although - being strictly tea-total ( :P ) I'm no expert...
Codgers & shirkers club-ride soon  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2024, 07:09:14 pm »
Probably false memory syndrome, Terry - as in "I remember being a good cyclist"!