Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25769 times)

Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #50 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:45:27 pm »
Quite tempted to add another gravel bit, the geograph photos look fab.  I'm sure Mr Bond will be thrilled to unnecessarily make his longest ride ever longer by 5km ;D

PS that wouldn't be the gravel bit I'd add - from last year, you may remember the offroad climb from Arden Hall after Hawnby - where you go through the gate and return to tarmac, you're right on the top of the escarpment, and you cross the old Drovers' Road which goes north-south along the ridges:

I'd follow that north or south for a bit, then return to base. Just pick a decent crossing of the A19 - it'd be better than whipping Mr Bond up Chimney Bank...

(and I'll have someone in the layby in Bransdale again, and I don't really want them to have to hang around longer than they have to :-* But I don't mind how long it takes you to finish, so fill your boots after Bransdale)

« Reply #51 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »
As promised, some photos from the extra loop out to Lealholm from the Lion (with sea views):

Note: you're unlikely to see purple heather in April.

« Reply #52 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:37:01 pm »
As promised, some photos from the extra loop out to Lealholm from the Lion (with sea views):

Note: you're unlikely to see purple heather in April.

I'll let the heather go provided the sunshine remains;)

« Reply #53 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:07:30 pm »
I'm worryingly tempted by this. :o

« Reply #54 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:03:23 pm »
So you should be! Bastard hills and offroad, it's right up your street.

I forgot Chris's video, btw (and I've booked someone else to stamp cards at the Lion, so Chris can ride this year): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0FBqIF5nPQ

« Reply #55 on: 14 February, 2018, 10:20:29 am »
The video didn't do justice to the off road climbs and descents.

It was a right laugh. Really enjoyed dragging Jonny round it. Poor lad had only done ridden as far as 30miles before it.

Chris S

« Reply #56 on: 14 February, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »
I've booked someone else to stamp cards at the Lion, so Chris can ride this year

Yay!  :thumbsup:

Does that mean I don't have to ride the 300 then? Better do the 300 helper's ride  :)

« Reply #57 on: 14 February, 2018, 04:05:21 pm »
Nice video.  The hills, the clarts, the stones, the potholes and the gravel ....  Can't believe I completed this ride last year, on a Moulton TSR.  And have entered again this year.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #58 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:33:22 pm »
The video didn't do justice to the off road climbs and descents.

It was a right laugh. Really enjoyed dragging Jonny round it. Poor lad had only done ridden as far as 30miles before it.

That reminds me - he wasn't happy with the routesheet, so I think I have a volunteer to route-check the 100-miler :)

« Reply #59 on: 14 February, 2018, 08:39:35 pm »
I've booked someone else to stamp cards at the Lion, so Chris can ride this year

Does that mean I don't have to ride the 300 then? Better do the 300 helper's ride  :)

I've not got anyone stamping cards at Litton on the 300, if you fancy going to a different pub. But I'd recommend having a laugh on one of these - better than riding it on your own in December, I reckon.

Chris S

« Reply #60 on: 14 February, 2018, 10:59:31 pm »

I've not got anyone stamping cards at Litton on the 300, if you fancy going to a different pub. But I'd recommend having a laugh on one of these - better than riding it on your own in December, I reckon.

Oh, I think I'll be up for a laff around the 100 on the day. I'll be crippled winding down from the Reiver the week before.

« Reply #61 on: 15 February, 2018, 09:21:52 am »
That reminds me - he wasn't happy with the routesheet, so I think I have a volunteer to route-check the 100-miler :)

It was funny though, i thought he was going to chuck his bike and walk back from Carlton.

I'l have a run out on any of them if you need, I'll more than likely do the 100k again as Jonny and a couple of others i'm arm twisting won't be up for longer, so would be nice to do the 150 or 300 another day.

James

« Reply #62 on: 16 February, 2018, 09:26:11 am »
Entered the 100 anna bit.

I reckon I'm going to ride the Sabbath on 30mm G-one's, going to have to add some clearance to the guards though, or ditch them. Oh, and I'll be in road cleats unless I can magically find a solution to my SPD issues, must remember  my cleat covers. Not sure about the logistics yet as I may have to be back in Manc-land early Sunday so it could end up being a single day round trip, which probably means driving since the train seems to work out to be a 22 hour day, for pity's sake that's almost into ECE timescales, but I don't have the legs.

« Reply #63 on: 16 February, 2018, 09:54:57 am »
Argh - realised I need to be back fairly early on the Sunday, so not really practical for me to do this after all. :'(

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #64 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »
ISTR last year I had to miss this when my brother turned 30 and got engaged. 

Hopefully this year he'll still be with the same girl and won't make such a big fuss about turning 31.

« Reply #65 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »

Hopefully this year he'll still be with the same girl and won't make such a big fuss about turning 31.

Have they set a date?

« Reply #66 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:42:37 pm »
Argh - realised I need to be back fairly early on the Sunday, so not really practical for me to do this after all. :'(

That's a shame. I do need to route-check it, though, if you can make it sometime between now and the date (I was thinking of the Easter weekend).

« Reply #67 on: 16 February, 2018, 08:43:32 pm »
Entered the 100 anna bit.

I reckon I'm going to ride the Sabbath on 30mm G-one's, going to have to add some clearance to the guards though, or ditch them. Oh, and I'll be in road cleats unless I can magically find a solution to my SPD issues, must remember  my cleat covers. Not sure about the logistics yet as I may have to be back in Manc-land early Sunday so it could end up being a single day round trip, which probably means driving since the train seems to work out to be a 22 hour day, for pity's sake that's almost into ECE timescales, but I don't have the legs.

Camp the night before? Would cut down the travelling.

But no one has ECE'd it, to my knowledge ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #68 on: 16 February, 2018, 09:21:23 pm »

Have they set a date?

Six weeks ago

« Reply #69 on: 11 March, 2018, 10:26:25 pm »
I've been busy this weekend - went out to route check the 100-miler, but since it took me an hour or so longer to get to the Lion, what with dragging the bike through snowdrifts and wotnot, and daylight still being at a premium, I thought I'd just check the DKttR route.

The tracks all seemed fine, or at least no worse than last year, so it'll remain broadly unchanged*.

And today it was back up the Incline with my mate Mark, who'll be stamping cards at the Lion, to introduce him to the place and show him where the outside tap is (out of the pub and round to the left, just past the Lion statue, FYI). And, more importantly, so he can show a suitable amount of sympathy to any riders who found that bit tough**. And I had a suitable victim for the photos - the snow had mostly gone.

On Friday I rode it on my SS Surly with 3" tyres - just to see what it was like. I still think this is massive overkill, as it was all fine up to the Lion on my Pompino today (apart from all the walking up the Incline, but that's down to gearing and not tyres), but you're still free to bring along your MTBs or whatever you want, short of your TT bikes or full-on skinny-tyred road bikes. Even on your Pinarello, you'll still be welcome, but this is not recommended, and I'll probably point and laugh.

*The Spar in Hutton Rudby is at a new location - I'll have to re-route to get that in, which may or may not involve additional offroad fun. A parmo night at Hutton Rudby beckons!

** The correct amount is some, in my opinion - the next bit is harder. But you'll all have John and Jill in their campervan meeting you down Bransdale with tea and cake.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #70 on: 11 March, 2018, 11:01:06 pm »
You are all bonkers. That's my considered opinion anyway. (Volunteering at the pub excepted.)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #71 on: 11 March, 2018, 11:52:09 pm »
You are all bonkers. That's my considered opinion anyway. (Volunteering at the pub excepted.)

Graeme

Relying on you turning up to catch up! You k ow you want to.

Mike

« Reply #72 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:08:08 pm »
Great photos Deano.  I would like to have done the 100km  this year.  Probably be in the area after Easter, so may have another go at some of the tracks.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #73 on: 12 March, 2018, 04:23:51 pm »
I now own a suitable bike to do the 100 km ride so looking forward to do the ride.
I have only clocked 200 miles all year so need to get some serious miles in the legs and lose a bit of weight!
The bike has Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres on it.  Are these ok or should I change them for some Scwalbe G ones?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #74 on: 12 March, 2018, 04:46:26 pm »

Graeme

Relying on you turning up to catch up! You k ow you want to.

Mike

I have a Wedding that day... so no need for elaborate excuses. :)