Author Topic: Criteria for creating 1AAA mDIYxGPS 200km  (Read 3225 times)

Criteria for creating 1AAA mDIYxGPS 200km
« on: 19 September, 2018, 12:33:30 pm »
How would I go about creating a mDIYxGPS 200 to ensure it would qualify for  1AAA point?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Criteria for creating 1AAA mDIY 200km
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »
Make up a route, ensure it is ok for distance

Ensure that a 100km segment between controls does at least 1500m ascent ( see http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaavnts/aaaqual/)
All methods of estimating ascent vary a bit so there is guesswork involved

Send the route to your local DIY org and they will give it to the AAA points person to check that it is ok for AAA

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2018, 12:39:22 pm »
According to the climbing requirements. 900m is required in 60km. So if you can devise a 60km route with 1200m of climb (in case of lower evaluation by the aaa man) in 60km and then add 140km to that you should theoretically be able to claim 1 point.

I have never done this, so can't guarantee 5ge approach, but this is my interpretation of the rules.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2018, 12:50:23 pm »
My understanding is that for a ride over 100km, you need a section of the ride that is at least 100km to have climbing of 1500m or more.

On http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaavnts/ this is explained as :

If the whole event doesn't qualify for AAA points, then a section of a minimum of 100km or more may do. One section only of the event may be counted. Calendar and permanent events like this have both the total climb and the AAA section climb recorded on the website, and the AAA points are based naturally enough on the AAA section climb. If the event is shorter than 100km, then the whole event has to qualify.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2018, 03:01:20 pm »
In which case it is not possible to get 1 point, minimum 1.5. And from experience plotting a route with 1700m of climb within 100km is required.

Re: Criteria for creating 1AAA mDIYxGPS 200km
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:22:03 pm »
Thanks all.

Make up a route, ensure it is ok for distance

Ensure that a 100km segment between controls does at least 1500m ascent ( see http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaavnts/aaaqual/)
All methods of estimating ascent vary a bit so there is guesswork involved

Send the route to your local DIY org and they will give it to the AAA points person to check that it is ok for AAA

From the AUK link, the amount of climbing required to qualify for AAA is 2800m (14m/km rate),  and for a 100km ride is 1500m.  I'm not quite clear why there has to be a 100km section of >1500m (1700m?) if that 100km is part of a 200km ride?  Is this to have an 'overage' of ascent in a route, to be on the safe side?  For AUK checking, pre-ride, what software is generally used to determine the ascent profile of a route? 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:35:39 pm »
I assumed as you were only after a point, that you didn't want to go for a full AAA 200. If your 200 has 2800m of climbing (plus safety margin) then it is not necessary for any 100km section to be more hilly than the rest. But you could do 100km with 1700m followed by 100km with 100m if you prefer an easier ride or if you don't live near hills etc.

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:49:05 pm »
Thanks, yes just a 'minimum AAA' 200, which I thought was 1AAA.  Sorry, what's a "full AAA 200"? 

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:59:07 pm »
A full AAA 200 would be at least 2800m in 200km which would give you 2 2.75 AAA points.

This event is a 'partial' AAA 200 - it has a section of 100km which is hilly enough for 1 AAA point, but the overall ride falls short of the 2800m above: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-395/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:29:25 pm »
A full AAA 200 would be at least 2800m in 200km which would give you 2 AAA points.
Think 2.75AAA points for 2800m in 200k.
@Vorsprung has given the OP an authoritative answer (mine's an Otter later J), As for "For AUK checking, pre-ride, what software is generally used to determine the ascent profile of a route?" like they say on 'QI' "Nobody knows" and it is on very close AAA man hold.
Just make sure it's well over 1500m (in the 100km bounded by two controls).

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:34:28 pm »
Sorry, that's what I should have written.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2018, 05:48:09 pm »
A full AAA 200 would be at least 2800m in 200km which would give you 2 AAA points.
Think 2.75AAA points for 2800m in 200k.
@Vorsprung has given the OP an authoritative answer (mine's an Otter later J),

Sorry ICBA going to the pub tonight, it's a long way to Lympstone and I am not convinced the gale will hold off

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2018, 06:13:23 pm »
OK thanks the 'mist is rising'.  :) 

Why does the 100km with 1500m (for 1AAA) have to be between two controls?  Consecutive?  Most of my mDIYxGPS have 3 intermediate controls for coffee/lunch/tea at 50-70km.

edit.

« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:39:53 pm »
It doesn't have to be between controls. The software just searches for the longest continuous section in your gpx track that is a) over 100km and b) over the AAA threshold for climbing - could start/end anywhere along it.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2018, 10:59:58 pm »
you cannot get 1AAA on a 200 full stop; you either need to find a 1.5AAA (or more) 100km section within the ride or find 2800m over the total;

them's the rules

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:44:14 am »

I have clipped what seem to me to be the key passages from the AUK pages. I assume that when the author (of the text) says "DIY perms" they mean (in common/modern parlance) "DIYs". I appreciate I do not have the historical knowledge to understand the nuances or significance of why the term "DIY perm" may be employed. A ride (excluding calendar and ECE) is either a "Permanent" route (entered through the perm 'owner') or it's a DIY, constructed by the rider themselves, and submitted to the area DIY person. Or is that too simplistic? I'm sure a No 3 bus will be along soon.
"AAA points can be claimed for GPS DIY [perms] only." Does this include an advisory route proved by GPS - I assume so.
http://www.aukweb.net/diy/diyfaaq/#3
FAQ03: How do I claim AAA points for a DIY Perm
AAA points can be claimed for GPS DIY perms only. Where initial analysis indicates the GPX track may be eligible for an AAA award, it is automatically forwarded to the AAA secretary. But our regular processing will not identify marginal cases, or routes which do not qualify for AAA overall, but contain hilly sections of 100km or more.
http://www.aukweb.net/results/aaa/aaavnts/
 DIY by GPS Events can have AAA points. The tracklog from riding the event should be submitted to the DIY organiser for validation in the normal way, together with a request for AAA points to be assessed. The DIY organiser will forward the tracklog to the AAA Man to work out climbing and add any AAA points to the result on the website.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:51:07 am »
DIY by GPS is a subset of
DIY is a subset of
perm is a subset of
AUK event
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:22:19 am »
Further to LWaB comment, from the AAA section of the AUK website

Qualifying Events

To qualify for the AAA, an event must be hilly enough. Hilliness is measured by the rate of climbing, which is based on the original AAA Formula (see the AAA Archive page) and varies with the event distance. Click here for more information about both the rate and amount of climbing than events need to do.

If the whole event doesn't qualify for AAA points, then a section of a minimum of 100km or more may do. One section only of the event may be counted. Calendar and permanent events like this have both the total climb and the AAA section climb recorded on the website, and the AAA points are based naturally enough on the AAA section climb. If the event is shorter than 100km, then the whole event has to qualify.

It took me 10 seconds to find this and I'm not particularly interested. :)

Regular perms can have AAAs because the route has been pre-approved by AUK; GPS DIY Perms can have AAAs because the route is verifiable from the GPS track. There is no mechanism for checking the route for non-GPS DIY perms, so no AAAs.

The reason why only one section per ride is eligible for AAA points is because if you allowed multiple sections folks would want to include every 'up' section and discount every flat or "down" section. You have to draw the line somewhere. #lifestooshort

« Reply #18 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:35:25 am »
DIY by GPS is a subset of
DIY is a subset of
perm is a subset of
AUK event
Your/our "DIY by GPS" includes both mandatory and advisory routes - is that right? And any AAA value will be determined from the submitted tracklog (if the rider so asks).
So a "DIY perm" is a "DIY" in your heirarchy above, yes? The inclusion of "perm" seems nugatory (bit like this post) but I assume there are historic reasons (and helps sew a bit of confusion among the non cognoscenti).
Anyway, in what way is a "DIY" a subset of "perm"? Ipso facto a 'DIY' is NOT a 'perm'.

« Reply #19 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:44:32 am »
Originally there were just Calendar events. Vetted in advance (w.r.t. controls and distance) by AUK, much like now.

Then someone created Permenant events that could be ridden at any time gathering PoP as required. Same vetting in advance (w.r.t. controls and distance).

Then someone created DIY Permanent events that were vetted upon application to the DIY organiser but still validated using traditional PoP.

Then someone created DIYxGPS events that were vetted upon application to the DIY organiser but validated by analysing the resulting GPX files.

So everything is either a Calendar event or a Permanent, with DIYs, DIYxGPS and ECEs all in the "Perm" basket.

(Not entirely sure where Arrows and Darts fit in, they may be in their own little classification, again due to history.)

Anyway, in what way is a "DIY" a subset of "perm"? Ipso facto a 'DIY' is NOT a 'perm'.

A DIY is actually short for "DIY Permanent".

A DIY is a perm because it is not a calendar event.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #20 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:48:08 am »
Thank you @Greenbank - very clear, though this nomenclature opens the door to confusion (imo).
Why doesn't AUK just recognise that DIYs are 'clearly' not 'permanent' and recognise them as a class of their own (with ECEs as a subset of that - because they're clearly not 'permanent' either)?
If this question has already been 'done to death' elsewhere please point me to it (I have searched).

« Reply #21 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:52:53 am »
Why doesn't AUK just recognise that DIYs are 'clearly' not 'permanent' and recognise them as a class of their own (with ECEs as a subset of that - because they're clearly not 'permanent' either)?

Why do you say that DIYs are clearly not permanents?

I guess that you have a specific definition of permanent in your head and you can't accept that DIYs are part of this. I doubt AUK is going to change its definitions just to suit you whilst plenty of other people have no problems with the existing classifications.

To change it around, why don't you class DIYs as permanents?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:02:05 am »
Permanents are rides you can do on any day.

DIYs are permanents where you define the route rather than using someone else’s.

I think using the word “permanent” in the first place is the problematic/confusing one, especially the phrase “permanent event”. Confused the hell out of me the first time I browsed the auk site.

(I’m inclined to view traditional perms as a special kind of DIY, although perhaps the idea of a prepackaged DIY is even more confusing...)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:53:12 am »

Because changes to an established structure at that sort of fundamental level are very difficult to implement.  Any cost/benefit analysis would likely come down in favour of 'no change'.

... ...
Then someone created Permenant events that could be ridden at any time gathering PoP as required. Same vetting in advance (w.r.t. controls and distance).

Then someone created DIY Permanent events that were vetted upon application to the DIY organiser but still validated using traditional PoP.

Good post but you missed out two important steps (one that is very germane to current practice and one that is more of historical interest).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2018, 12:05:28 pm »
Historically, Calendar events and Permanent events were all considered part of the AUK Calendar of Events, and still are, I guess, though the term has fallen out of use; what this meant was that when officials referred to 'Calendar events' you really didn't have a clue what they were referring to...