Author Topic: Moonrakers & Sunseekers 306km Friday 23rd November 2018  (Read 8322 times)

Re: Moonrakers & Sunseekers 306km Friday 23rd November 2018
« Reply #50 on: 26 November, 2018, 11:17:12 pm »
My video is up on YouTube now...  no close-ups John, but plenty of you riding your trike in the video.

If you see yourself anywhere else in the footage just let me know the Time and I'll send you a still photo.

So yeah the Moonrakers and Sunseekers was certainly a challenging audax, all new to me that, never started a bike ride at that time of night before never mind an audax!  Weather was grim, but could have been worse.

https://youtu.be/Wds3CcJhJwQ
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #51 on: 27 November, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
Dont think that I would want to ride a 300k with much of it during the night although I get it with the names of the event etc. 

Would be very interested in riding it during the summer though as a perm if it was ever available as one.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 27 November, 2018, 03:22:19 pm »
I think the timing of the start had a lot of +ves;
deserted A-roads, moonlight <cough>, finishing in daylight (rare for me on ANY November event!)
and of course the ribbon of red-lights snaking up the road ahead.

I'm sure Will can comment on the merits/issues of a 6am start, he knows the route.

What I'd really like is a July 10pm start :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 27 November, 2018, 10:38:43 pm »
This was a rather splendid ride. Definitely a future classic.
Does anyone know who took the photo of me on the trike? It was when I pulled up at the ‘hotel’ to say hello early Saturday morning. I’d like to see a copy.

Hi John. I took a couple of photos of you in the wonderful hotel in Dorset. PM me if you'd like me to send you a high res copy of them. Are you happy for AUK to use them  (Will asked me to check with you ).

Nice to meet you and to briefly see Matt DPCC in Mcdonalds and poole, and well, everywhere really .

Great event Will and the ACB massive

John W
Go Vegas!

« Reply #54 on: 28 November, 2018, 12:59:09 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement all. Be careful though, as any Audax Club Bristol member will tell you I don't need any  ;D

Amazed at the reception this event has had. Initially thinking about 30-40 would sign up I was blown away when 77 of you turned up on the line, and chuffed when 72 made it back, then humbled as people started calling it a 'new classic' and others saying it is a must do for next year already!

I'm sure Will can comment on the merits/issues of a 6am start, he knows the route.

Always planned as a night start and no intention of a morning start. However there is a route already for Sunseekers & Moonrakers, perhaps around the summer solstice and across Salisbury Plain with an afternoon start dawn finish, we'll see....

« Reply #55 on: 28 November, 2018, 08:40:55 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement all. Be careful though, as any Audax Club Bristol member will tell you I don't need any  ;D

Amazed at the reception this event has had. Initially thinking about 30-40 would sign up I was blown away when 77 of you turned up on the line, and chuffed when 72 made it back, then humbled as people started calling it a 'new classic' and others saying it is a must do for next year already!

Always planned as a night start and no intention of a morning start. However there is a route already for Sunseekers & Moonrakers, perhaps around the summer solstice and across Salisbury Plain with an afternoon start dawn finish, we'll see....

Now that sounds promising!
Reine de la Fauche

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #56 on: 01 December, 2018, 08:08:52 pm »
Bit slow in following up last weeks ride, but I'll add my agreement to what others have written.

Great event that I really enjoyed. Many thanks to Will and all the team that made this happen.
It was really well organised and clearly by people who understand what we need! So the flapjack at the Moonrakers pub was a welcome bonus. The Poole control was brilliant with space, good food, warmth, etc and the Arrivee was very welcoming at the end.

Strawberry line was my highlight, very beautiful and really enjoyed the challenge of the squeeze gates, mud, etc.

Thanks.