Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 12th  (Read 7746 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Jan 12th
« Reply #50 on: 12 January, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »
I've used Lumicycles - the new ones have a 20 hour burn on low setting which is enough for riding at 20mph (the only time I've needed higher is descending on the Mille Miglia) and recharge in 6 hours.  He would have to carry a charger.  You may even be able to get Lumicycle to sponsor, being a UK based company.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #51 on: 12 January, 2015, 06:55:05 pm »
A couple of Hope 1s would be hard to beat I think.

Easily transferrable between bikes

AA batteries - so can recharge in 3-4 hrs at most in something like the popular Technoline BL700 charger depending on level of discharge and capacity of battery. Or just pop previously charged batteries in and away you go.

Renowned for quality and customer service

I've used them in torrential rain and never had a problem.

Burn Times 2013 version

Low - 24 hours
 Med - 7 hours
 High - 3 hours
 Flash - 35 hours

Typically I would use one on flash mode and the other on medium. Alternating this between morning and evening riding should be enough to get through >7hrs of well lit riding. Switching to lower setting when suitable will prolong battery life much further.

Another British company so may well be interested in sponsoring Steve (assuming they've not already been approached).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #52 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:02:01 pm »
Steve has worn out enough Son dynohub bearings to think it likely that a dynohub could fail during the year.

He also uses several high-powered battery lights. In a different thread, it was correctly noted about recharge times being a limiting factor. The Cree has proved reliable thus far.

i've had several lights fail (smart, hope, b&m etc.), but to my surprise no-name chinese cree just keeps on shining and comes with very lightweight easy to carry wall charger. exemplary chinese reliability! (i'd never though i'd say this ;D )

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #53 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »
I do not think providing detailed info on what the team are trying to do on a daily basis makes a lot of sense. But the Hope sponsorship suggestion had already been identified and is being worked on.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #54 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
Both TG's tracker and Tarzan's seem to have lots of spaced out points not on roads today. I suspect both of those estimated distances will turn out to be very (under)estimated this time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:52:26 pm »
Good to hear from The Man himself :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #56 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:53:16 pm »
As for the lights, a Schmidt's hub dynamo and an Edelux II are the way forward.

+1

« Reply #57 on: 12 January, 2015, 08:59:03 pm »
As for the lights, a Schmidt's hub dynamo and an Edelux II are the way forward.

+1

While that's probably true for mortals, Steve is not unaware of the benefits and possible disadvantages of a SON. Personally, I'm inclined to defer to his experience, accept his judgment, and try to learn from why he has decided battery lighting is the way forward for him on this record attempt - details of some reasons, of course, appearing in other threads here.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #58 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:26:14 pm »
Strava says 293.5
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #59 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:30:32 pm »
Strava says 293.5

182.4 miles, to save everyone else converting it.

That's another great day, given the weather has been rather horrid (well it has over here in Wales anyway)

« Reply #60 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:40:03 pm »
Steve, if you need wheels built, I'm happy to do the labour... gratis. I would just need the parts to build with. I noticed one of your stops is in Pinner in NW London. I'm based in Stanmore, so could deliver to Pinner by hand.

Pinner was yesterday...
It was ever thus ....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #61 on: 12 January, 2015, 09:48:53 pm »
Wasn't that a movie title? "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium"
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #62 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
Pinner certainly was yesterday for Sir Patrick Moore and Sir Elton John...

TGS

« Reply #63 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:09:21 pm »
That's another great day

and still ahead of the 87129 schedule  :o

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #64 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »
TGs average heart rate is remarkably low.  :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #65 on: 15 January, 2015, 01:02:59 am »
The upload for 12th Jan has been "flagged" on Strava.  >:(
https://www.strava.com/activities/240281817

Basically that just means it won't appear in segment leaderboards. Whoopee. But I really hope this isn't the tip of iceberg in trying to pull Strava.com (or, the anonymous masses) into the process of adjudicating the challenge.

« Reply #66 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:36:21 am »
I suppose only someone logged into Steve's account can find out why it's been flagged or by whom.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #67 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:48:14 am »

The reason and the flagger isn't shared with the rider. That info goes to Strava only.
It's doesn't seem to be flagged now, thankfully.