Author Topic: Cycle recovery  (Read 5103 times)

Re: Cycle recovery
« Reply #25 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »
ETA does require that you carry a note of your membership number AND a photo ID.
I simply took a small copy of my passport and laminated it.
As I do not drive I do not have a driving licence.
The insurance is for the person therefore they do not specify which bike, trike or tandem you are on.

« Reply #26 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »
For £15 this isn't half tempting for the peace of mind factor.

However, what I'd like to know is it that on the Lexham website they say they'll take you to "Cycle Repair Shop, Railway Station, Car Rental Agency, Overnight Accommodation and Home Address".  I might get in touch and see if they will also take you to an arrivee as it's likely that I'll need to get there rather than home in order to get to my car...

Good point and something which I should have thought of myself. I'd be interested to know the outcome if you do ring.

« Reply #27 on: 14 January, 2015, 04:45:04 pm »
the Eta policy says it will take you back to your car.

The one thing I couldn't work out was whether they would take you to your preferred option (of station/overnight accommodation/bike shop etc) within their 25 mile limit or their preferred option.

Quite often my cycle route takes me past Gleneagles Hotel and being abandoned there wouldn't be particularly helpful as a night probably costs more than my bike  :facepalm:
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #28 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:08:15 pm »
I think I will sign up. If my own fiasco of 3rd Jan had occurred somewhere seriously remote without being able to call on family, I might have had a really nasty time.  Mind you strangers can be very helpful - I did get an offer of a lift from a passing lady farmer.
But being able to summon up a saviour when it has all gone wrong seems a good deal.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #29 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:09:46 pm »
I had quite a lengthy conversation with them about exactly where they would take you, since the most likely places I would want to go would be wherever I had left my car or an Audax start/finish control, neither of which is mentioned in their list of possibilities. They assured me they would adopt a sensible approach to this and take me to a suitable convenient place, whether one of the places listed or not. I was convinced by their assurance, although obvioulsy I don't have it in writing.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #30 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »
My experience of ETA is that they are true to their word :)
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote