Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252735 times)

[HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« on: 29 April, 2015, 08:39:35 am »
Couldn't see anywhere where a collation of observer's thoughts was so...

Must admit after Steve's injury the fun of the challenge pretty much ended for me. This and Tarzan's illness shows how vulnerable the record is to incidents out of your control.

The following are all IMO...

• Steve's chance is gone for 2015. Look forward to the 15/16 challenge starting though. His method seemed to be the most effective with a good plan of attack. Once he's fully fit again he'll definitely be a serious contender.
  • Tarzan is going to have to up his daily mileage at some point if he's going to get above WR pace and stay there. Can he do that and sustain it? Will he stay illness/injury free? If he can and does he stands a good chance of beating the record.
  • Miles is clearly insane and I just don't think any human is capable of doing what he's trying to do for 365 days without their body breaking down at some point. It's too early to tell but I'm finding it hard to take his attempt seriously yet.

All three challenges have further proved how incredible Tommy's record is and anyone who beats it will be the owner of one incredible achievement and I wish them all the best of luck.

John

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2015, 09:18:26 am »
I think I've thought most of that all year long, but previously it was merely theory. Now we have the practice.

Having said that, if Steve thinks it's still viable for this year, albeit much shakier than before his injury, I'd never write him off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2015, 09:56:41 am »

"Must admit after Steve's injury the fun of the challenge pretty much ended for me. This and Tarzan's illness shows how vulnerable the record is to incidents out of your control."

Regarding the fun; I can agree with you to some degree, but don't you think we the 'followers' got carried away and over hyped the attempt?  By that I mean we could have thought he was invincible?  There could also have been something along those lines getting into Steve's head?  It was all going very well, and probably can get back on track.  That weekend of the accident was going to be an extreme test, late finish, early start and 300 miles for a target.  The moped rider can't have known anything about that and Steve was just riding a bike on a road.  It could be a case of 'the butterfly flapping it's wings'?

Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
Don't underestimate Steve's determination.  :)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2015, 10:06:09 am »
Dont underestimate Steve's determination.  :)

I wouldn't underestimate any of the contenders determination, 2 out of 3 have had setbacks, there will be further setbacks. Recovering from these and carrying on actually makes the conest more not less interesting. It also highlights more and more the original superlative level of Tommy G's acheivement.
Remember, this is a year long contest, not a few days or weeks or even months...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2015, 10:22:01 am »
And we are nearly one-third of the way through.

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2015, 11:58:03 am »
Honest thought is that once felt significant now feels much less so.  In part because of the remoteness of the two overseas challengers.  In part because I view the MK Bowl circuits as filler. 

The fizz may return if Steve starts a new attempt, but I suspect I will feel less enthralled than the first 3 months.  In part because the daily comparison of Steve v Kurt will be less meaningful than when they were separated by 10 days.  Basing this on how I feel about Miles' challenge vs Steve and Kurt (which is much less engaged).

My guess about the riders are:
Steve: Will not exceed Tommy's total in 2015.  Likely to in 2016 if he stays injury free
Kurt: Will not exceed Tommy's total but will get close.
Miles: Will exceed Tommy's total if he stays injury free.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:04:05 pm »
  • Steve's chance is gone for 2015.

The chance of Steve beating the tommy Godwin record are slim in this year.

However, Steve is virtually certain to get the UMCA record, as it is age-based and he will be the first official contender to complete 365 days.

I share your doubts about Mile's ability to keep going at this rate. As demonstrated by Kurt, it's not just about miles, it is also about maintaining your body health. Such a bloody irony that the person being most organised about not overstressing themselves gets injured by a drunk moton.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »
The Facebook video that has just been posted by Steve states that the aim is still to ride 75,000 miles this calendar year. Seems the only thing that has changed since he had the accident is that he is drinking coffee and not tea!

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:57:44 am »
I think Steve will break the record this year, even if it is by just 100 miles.

I think he will smash it if he can stay fit and accident free on the 15/16 attempt as he will be coming into that 'running' after maintaining fitness on the trike and with the winter's worth of experience. 

I think Kurt and Miles both stand good chances of putting in huge totals, but I suspect Kurt may break either physically or mentally.  I hope he doesn't, I like the guy.   

One thing is for certain - only Steve will hold the UK Tommy Godwin record if he breaks it.  Surely attempting the record in the UK should be the Gold Standard, with the variable traffic, climate, short roads, junctions and traffic?   ;)
Does not play well with others

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2015, 01:37:10 am »
If everything goes well, I think Steve still has a chance of breaking the record this year. As we have said many times, that "if" is the biggest of all. There are so many things that can go wrong.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2015, 06:27:46 am »
Been busy this week so hadn't noticed how Steve has upped his mileage to 100 miles per day one legged.  I will be a big ask to catch up the lost mileage but in doing so even if he doesn't get the record this year, he will be on track for a 1 July to 30 June 2016 HAMR.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2015, 09:09:13 am »
.. which will include a 'bonus' day on Feb 29 ..    8)

[Are there UMCA rulez about 366 day years?? eg Miles will do one, but Kurt won't?]

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2015, 09:13:15 am »
.. which will include a 'bonus' day on Feb 29 ..    8)

[Are there UMCA rulez about 366 day years?? eg Miles will do one, but Kurt won't?]

UMCA HAM'R year is defined as 365 consecutive days.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

red marley

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2015, 09:17:57 am »
Walter Greaves was given the record for 1936, which included a bonus Feb 29th. He did have the disadvantage of being one limb short of the usual four and losing a few days to delays in his new bike being delivered. Not that that would ever happen again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »
Been busy this week so hadn't noticed how Steve has upped his mileage to 100 miles per day one legged.

No, he's now firing on both cylinders, though presumably the left leg is still doing the bulk of the work.  It does suggest that his ankle is happy with the range of motion, which can only be a good sign.

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:02:56 pm »
Been busy this week so hadn't noticed how Steve has upped his mileage to 100 miles per day one legged.

No, he's now firing on both cylinders, though presumably the left leg is still doing the bulk of the work.  It does suggest that his ankle is happy with the range of motion, which can only be a good sign.
I hesitate to comment without first tracking down my sources but I'm sure I saw a comment from one of his team this week saying his ankle is not very happy. And TG himself said on here a few days ago (which thread??) that he feels in need of physiotherapy. I hope that's being lined up sooner rather than later.
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:05:23 pm »
Physio should have been happening for a while now, though I don't know if it actually is happening now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:28:23 pm »
Such things are legends made of.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:26:57 pm »
so is the attempt still going? just doing a bit of maths it's going to require an average of 241 miles a day for the rest of the year (ie until 31st Dec) for Steve to break it

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:58:00 pm »
so is the attempt still going? just doing a bit of maths it's going to require an average of 241 miles a day for the rest of the year (ie until 31st Dec) for Steve to break it

eek, that's ~390km...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #21 on: 23 May, 2015, 05:39:01 am »
That is still within the average implied by Steve's pessimistic schedule, if you look at jo's very informative chart.  It is a stupefying number that hardly seems possible. But those kind of distances were achieved by Godwin. Brings it home how hard this challenge always has been, doesn't it?

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2015, 10:41:43 pm »
Steve is going for it. Today tracker shows 236.07 miles. He's been doing longer rides at the weekend and then gradually upping the weekday rides.Hope the ankle is well. Looking like it won't be too long before we see a ride approaching 300 miles!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2015, 11:34:58 pm »
Steve is going for it. Today tracker shows 236.07 miles. He's been doing longer rides at the weekend and then gradually upping the weekday rides.Hope the ankle is well. Looking like it won't be too long before we see a ride approaching 300 miles!!!!!

The ride he is on now will be nearly 400 miles - its a 600km audax ride.

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2015, 10:58:18 am »
So the required is almost a 400km each day, with a 400km recovery ride the next day no recovery ride, and repeat...  Mind is boggling again.

Go Steve!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson