Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 109330 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:14 pm »
Think he might have another crack at the overall record?

yes I think he will if enough people support him financially, but he's now spent an (unprecedented) 3 years in pursuit of it unlike any of the other record holders....

Steve runs a campaign that doesn't need a lot of money.

There are loads of posters just on this forum that spaff money up against the wall that Steve would dream of.

apart from being irrelevant to my post and also marginally non excellent, what difference exactly would more money have made to where Steve is now?

FWIW I don't believe either Kurt or Amanda could have managed 3 possibly 4 years from a financial POV

« Reply #751 on: January 11, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
FWIW I don't believe either Kurt or Amanda could have managed 3 possibly 4 years from a financial POV

Kurt certainly could, but he is an astute businessman and no doubt would have thought the idea of going for three or four years in a row for the record to be absurd.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #752 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:35 pm »

yes I think he will if enough people support him financially, but he's now spent an (unprecedented) 3 years in pursuit of it unlike any of the other record holders....

There are loads of posters just on this forum that spaff money up against the wall that Steve would dream of.

apart from being irrelevant to my post and also marginally non excellent, what difference exactly would more money have made to where Steve is now?

The question wasn't about where he is now, but about him being supported financially if he had another crack at the record.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #753 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:21 pm »

The question wasn't about where he is now, but about him being supported financially if he had another crack at the record.

and I'm sure he would be if he did

« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2018, 02:37:41 pm »
Steve posted this on Facebook about half an hour ago.

"Just sent my entry in for another attempt at the month record. You get 3 free attempts at the UMCA month (30 day) record during a HAMR attempt. I was hoping to run 3 concurrent Month Record attempts to finish on my last day of HAMR, but with being hit by a car, coming off on ice, being sleepy from my injuries and having to sort out endless technical problems, getting an entry in on time was forgotten about or put off until I had time. I had to make time today as I must give at least 21 days notice for a UMCA record attempt and today (12th Jan) is my last chance to get an entry in at all. So a morning and some afternoon lost to sorting stuff out and getting organised.
But my injuries are getting better and I'm feeling stronger. I'm still slowed down by my injuries. Still get tired from them and sometimes have to stop and sleep. This is setting me further behind.
I don't know if I can do what I originally set out to do in 2015. It depends on how soon I recover from my injuries and how much better I can go now that I am treating my condition. I need over 230 miles a day now. With a late start today, I will be lucky to get over 150. I don't expect to do much better tomorrow, so will get even further behind. But I do know that as part of my training, I averaged 236mpd for 30 days before I knew that I had a condition that was holding me back."

grahamparks

• London N19
    • My Instagram
« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:03 pm »
Interesting... that sounds like the target is (or at least was) the Kurt record (currently requiring 232 miles/day).

If he can equal his previous month record in the final 30 days he still needs to do 224 miles/day for the next 21 days, or 176 miles/day for the Tommy record. He's been riding a fairly steady 180 miles/day (on average) since the crash.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2018, 10:55:57 pm »
Interesting... that sounds like the target is (or at least was) the Kurt record (currently requiring 232 miles/day).

If he can equal his previous month record in the final 30 days he still needs to do 224 miles/day for the next 21 days, or 176 miles/day for the Tommy record. He's been riding a fairly steady 180 miles/day (on average) since the crash.
I think that is what you call a stretch target. If anyone can pull it out of the bag Steve can, but it is highly unlikely.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Clare

• Is home
« Reply #757 on: January 14, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »
Saw Steve yesterday on the A421 near Finmere, we were on the other carriageway so we couldn't yell encouragement but he was going well.

« Reply #758 on: January 15, 2018, 09:53:48 am »
ATM looks like he is losing a day per week in terms of mileage

« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:31 am »
Some time lost this week was partially due to submitting a month record application. Hopefully he's steeling himself for that final push.

grahamparks

• London N19
    • My Instagram
« Reply #760 on: January 17, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »
I reckon in the last couple of hours he passed the 65,127 mile record set by Bernard Bennett in 1939, meaning Steve has moved from 5th to 4th in the all time distance record high score table. Chapeau!

Given the Kurt and Amanda records are now realistically out of reach that makes the rest of the ride Steve vs Tommy. 216 miles/day needed with 46 days to go.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • 3x Brimstone ancien 3x Pendle/Tan Hill DNF
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #761 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:38 am »
Chapeau Steve!
Eddington Numbers 120 (imperial), 165 (metric) 508 (furlongs)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #762 on: January 18, 2018, 08:43:57 am »
Good luck Steve!

« Reply #763 on: January 18, 2018, 03:39:37 pm »
So, he roughly needs 350 km a day for the next 6-7 weeks.

Very tough... has he done any extended period of time at 350 km a day before? He did 381 km a day in the month record, but that was "only" 4 weeks

« Reply #764 on: January 18, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
Allez Steve! And well done.

« Reply #765 on: January 18, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »
I was thinking of Steve as I was getting blown about and hailed on in about 0.5Km.

The guy is more than astonishing, but that's not news

Go Steve, and stay safe.

grahamparks

• London N19
    • My Instagram
« Reply #766 on: January 18, 2018, 06:16:20 pm »
For the first four months his pace was a very consistent 220 miles / 355 km a day, so it’s certainly not beyond him. Of course a lot of circumstances are different now.

He needs to ride 9,802 miles in the next 45 days to reach the Tommy number. He rode 10,040 miles in the first 45 days of this attempt.

« Reply #767 on: January 18, 2018, 07:28:09 pm »
Go Steve!  Hope he can go the Tommy Godwin distance.  It would be a truely staggering achievement, especially on UK roads and given the record stood for so long, despite Kurt and Amanda going further.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #768 on: January 18, 2018, 10:30:21 pm »
UK roads and weather.

Go Steve!
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #769 on: January 19, 2018, 12:55:43 am »
It seems that Britain is experiencing some horrible weather now, so is it possible that Steve's effort is going to be curtailed somewhat?

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #770 on: January 19, 2018, 08:42:33 am »
It seems that Britain is experiencing some horrible weather now, so is it possible that Steve's effort is going to be curtailed somewhat?
Britain is a big place, in January one town can have deep snow and high winds whilst another is just chilly (with maybe some light rain, or maybe a lovely sunny day like I'm sat in now); Steve only rides in quite a small portion of it during his record attempts.

Check his Strava maps and a UK weather map for more detail.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #771 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:51 am »

Check out the Met Office website for good local and national weather forecasting in the UK.   Steve lives near Milton Keynes so you can look at the weather in that area as a start point.

« Reply #772 on: January 19, 2018, 10:49:43 am »
In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't call it horrible weather, but certainly it is not conducing to cycling long distance.

hillbilly

« Reply #773 on: January 19, 2018, 11:45:08 am »
It's winter.  It's hardly a surprise and Steve will no doubt have allowed for it in his planning last year.

The overwhelming likelihood now is that Steve is not going to match Tommy's record.  If it were later in the year, I might believe it possible but at this time of the year, the required daily average is unlikely given Steve's recovery rate from injury/setbacks and the likely prevailing conditions. 

I don't view that as a failure, as he has achieved an incredible feat whilst not being 100% for 12 months of the challenge.  Let's face it, Tommy's record was incredible in the first place in any case - there's a reason it stood for so long.

« Reply #774 on: January 22, 2018, 04:40:52 pm »
Steve's sunday strava, yikes...  340km with snow, sleet, cold, 4km of the A34, and he seemed to quite enjoy it (relatively).
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"