Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175869 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #625 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
He's posted on Twitter that he's going to try heading out today. Nowt on the tracker yet though.

Go Steve!

not a good day... it's black ice galore.

It is very unfortunate, but sadly to be expected... poor weather leads to cycling being restricted to busy roads... combine that with monster daily mileage and accidents become very likely

simonp

« Reply #626 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »
Add to that generally low driving standards. GWS Steve.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #627 on: 23 December, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »
Has anyone done a recent schedule analysis? If I try to do it in detail I'm bound to make some schoolboy error, so I'm scared ...

BUT I think from Graham's post a few weeks back (Nov 9th?) Steve needed 203 miles-per-day = 327km-ish. Looking at https://frrt.org/tg/riders?offset=50&limit=50 I'm seeing only a couple of days over that figure, and most under 300km [and of course one day spent mucking about in ambulances etc].

So it feels like it's slippnig away :( Or are the frrt figures way below his "official" numbers?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #628 on: 23 December, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »
As of yesterday (or rather, early this morning), Steve has ridden 60,600.8 miles and has 71 days to go.

He now needs 203.7 miles/day to beat Tommy and 218 miles/day to beat Kurt. The last six days he's done 199.6 miles/day and been fairly consistent day-to-day.

Steve's pace for the *first* 71 days of this attempt was 221.9 miles/day. So the Kurt record isn't *quite* out of reach but an increasingly large surge in daily mileage is required to reach it.

I'm using the UMCA spreadsheet numbers (updated Dec 12) then the distances from Strava for recent rides.

(Anyway, Merry Xmas Steve. I hope you're proud of this attempt however it works out)

« Reply #629 on: 25 December, 2017, 04:11:59 am »
Has anyone done a recent schedule analysis? If I try to do it in detail I'm bound to make some schoolboy error, so I'm scared ...

BUT I think from Graham's post a few weeks back (Nov 9th?) Steve needed 203 miles-per-day = 327km-ish. Looking at https://frrt.org/tg/riders?offset=50&limit=50 I'm seeing only a couple of days over that figure, and most under 300km [and of course one day spent mucking about in ambulances etc].

So it feels like it's slippnig away :( Or are the frrt figures way below his "official" numbers?

I thought that, looking at the Ivanoscope.

It quotes track and route distance, I don't know the difference but taking the higher route distance it looks like Steve is averaging about 275km/170miles a day for the last couple of months.

If so, he will fall short of Tommy by a couple of thousand miles.

However, Graham's post above this one looks better informed, and it gives Steve 200 miles a day.

Easy for me to say, but it seems an odd tactic to fall short of Tommy by about four miles a day, each day.

On t'other hand, that deficit - under 300 miles - could be made up by Steve in the last few days if he does a spurt of mega miles which we know he's capable of.

It does look to me as if beating Tommy is now the only realistic target.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #630 on: 25 December, 2017, 10:01:28 am »
Steve’s beaten Kurt already by a huge distance, simply by not being a total knob.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #631 on: 25 December, 2017, 10:18:48 am »
I have no data on Kurt's knobbidity, but for sheer guts Steve's got all his modern rivals beaten four ways from, well, Christmas.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #632 on: 25 December, 2017, 10:59:37 am »
Yep. Steve - you the man.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #633 on: 25 December, 2017, 10:16:22 pm »
What has Kurt done to be a knob? As far as I can tell, he just rode his bike a lot. And very well. And a very long way. Please enlighten me....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #634 on: 25 December, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
Steve’s beaten Kurt already by a huge distance, simply by not being a total knob.

Errr, WTF??

« Reply #635 on: 25 December, 2017, 11:37:30 pm »
Kurt and Alicia visit this site from time to time so I'd like them to know that the vast majority of posters have nothing but admiration for both their efforts.  I'm sure Steve would agree,
The sound of one pannier flapping

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #636 on: 26 December, 2017, 12:05:28 am »
Kurt and Alicia visit this site from time to time so I'd like them to know that the vast majority of posters have nothing but admiration for both their efforts.  I'm sure Steve would agree,

Yes Indeed.  Support for all nutters heros from here.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #637 on: 26 December, 2017, 07:12:45 am »
Yup. But also:

... for sheer guts Steve's got all his modern rivals beaten four ways from, well, Christmas.
:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #638 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:19:58 am »
369 ivan-kms yesterday [25th]. Merry Chrismas Steve  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #639 on: 26 December, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
Yup. But also:

... for sheer guts Steve's got all his modern rivals beaten four ways from, well, Christmas.

Ask Kurt about British Muslims. Go on. I dare you.
Milk please, no sugar.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #640 on: 26 December, 2017, 10:45:31 am »
Wow! 370km on Christmas day. Amazing!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Martin

« Reply #641 on: 26 December, 2017, 10:47:01 am »
Yup. But also:

are you for real? I thought this was about cycling

« Reply #642 on: 26 December, 2017, 11:12:13 am »

Think of another day in the year with such little traffic on the road. Go Steve

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #643 on: 26 December, 2017, 11:23:22 am »

Think of another day in the year with such little traffic on the road. Go Steve

Fantastic  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #644 on: 26 December, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
Exceptional mileage... unfortunately cold and ice are on the way again...  >:(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #645 on: 26 December, 2017, 07:03:37 pm »
Yup. But also:

are you for real? I thought this was about cycling
What’s your view on British Muslims then?
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #646 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »
As I've never discussed it with them, Martin Kurt and Ruthie may all have completely insane views on that matter.

But even if Kurt spends his free evenings pulling kittens' toenails, I would rather that were discussed in a different arena. If Donald Trump attempts the HAMR, I think we should at least TRY to respect his actual cycling - unless he orders the FBI to sabotage other HAMR riders. (was that a thought experiment too far? Hmm, maybe ... )

Merry Chrimble and happy cycling everyone.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #647 on: 26 December, 2017, 09:00:08 pm »
Yes, you're right.  That was completely inappropriate.  I apologise for saying it.  If I hadn't been quoted, I'd delete the posts. 

Sorry.
Milk please, no sugar.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #648 on: 27 December, 2017, 10:33:36 am »
369 ivan-kms yesterday [25th]. Merry Chrismas Steve  :thumbsup:
Only 320 on the following day, but at a decent moving speed. Looking at the weather this morning I thought he was in for a tough few days, but actually it looks like he's played a blinder with the wind, holing up in the Far North last night:

He's sat out the early snow/sleet, and now has a day of Northerlies to blow him back to MK.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #649 on: 28 December, 2017, 10:29:16 pm »
Another short day after a fall on the ice Steve really needs to take stock as the miles per day required have risen over 220. Time to look for climates warmer and gradients flatter?