Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175864 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #725 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:59:09 am »
Think he might have another crack at the overall record?

yes I think he will if enough people support him financially, but he's now spent an (unprecedented) 3 years in pursuit of it unlike any of the other record holders....
I mean the Month.
Getting there...

« Reply #726 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:26:11 pm »
yes I think he will if enough people support him financially, but he's now spent an (unprecedented) 3 years in pursuit of it unlike any of the other record holders..

Searvogel is a wealthy computer systems owner who had the financial resources to mount his attempt, as does his second wife (first wife was Trish, lovely person but Tarzan apparently needed a new Jane...). Don't know about Amanda.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #727 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:01:16 am »

yes I think he will if enough people support him financially, but he's now spent an (unprecedented) 3 years in pursuit of it unlike any of the other record holders....

Steve runs a campaign that doesn't need a lot of money.

There are loads of posters just on this forum that spaff money up against the wall that Steve would dream of.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #728 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »
There are loads of posters just on this forum that spaff money up against the wall that Steve would dream of.

Um, I have absolutely no idea what that means. Can you explain in ordinary English please?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #729 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:33:04 pm »
Urban Dictionary is your friend.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #730 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
Some fast bugger scalped me on the commute today, just round the corner from Clarion and Butterfly's local.  Had I known in advance I'd have gone to work 5 minutes early and got them to send the kids out in the playground to cheer :D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #731 on: 11 January, 2018, 05:08:22 pm »

But isn't that the key? He's up against "opponents" who have a superior organisation, quite possibly due to a bigger budget.
What he is doing is truly remarkable, but you can see that he struggles with things he could "buy himself out of"

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #732 on: 11 January, 2018, 10:24:49 pm »

When looking after the very generous support from all those who knew TG when he set off on his first attempt .. it was very surprising how much cash is needed for those things that have nothing to do with the attempt, such as  rent rates electricity etc they come to quite a tidy sum ..and as far as I know TG  has not had a paying job quite some time now.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #733 on: 11 January, 2018, 10:32:04 pm »
off on his first attempt .. it was very surprising how much cash is needed for those things that have nothing to do with the attempt, such as  rent rates electricity etc they come to quite a tidy sum

I don't see why it is at all surprising, what would be surprising is that anyone would be surprised. Do you think Steve was surprised? Unless he had a Tardis (if the Beeb has finished with it) and could be dropped down on the edge of a road to start cycling and then be warfed (don't bother to look in the dictionary for that word, I just made it up) back up into it at the end of the day, he was bound to have expenses and quite steep ones.

It would be a shame if all this ended up with him being deep in debt, but it was his choice to undertake it and, as much as I admire him for the effort, he must have known what he was letting himself in for, not only the need for a cast iron bum but also the considerable financial outlay.

Searvogel left the running of his business to his wife (the first) whilst he did his ride so the money continued to flow, but it seems from what you say that Steve has no such cushion.

I am afraid he may be in for an extreme emotional letting down at the end of all this and will need a good supply of good friends around him for support.

Martin

« Reply #734 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:08:14 pm »

apart from being irrelevant to my post and also marginally non excellent, what difference exactly would more money have made to where Steve is now?

FWIW I don't believe either Kurt or Amanda could have managed 3 possibly 4 years from a financial POV

« Reply #735 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
FWIW I don't believe either Kurt or Amanda could have managed 3 possibly 4 years from a financial POV

Kurt certainly could, but he is an astute businessman and no doubt would have thought the idea of going for three or four years in a row for the record to be absurd.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #736 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:30:35 pm »

apart from being irrelevant to my post and also marginally non excellent, what difference exactly would more money have made to where Steve is now?

The question wasn't about where he is now, but about him being supported financially if he had another crack at the record.
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #737 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:50:21 pm »

The question wasn't about where he is now, but about him being supported financially if he had another crack at the record.

and I'm sure he would be if he did

« Reply #738 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:37:41 pm »
Steve posted this on Facebook about half an hour ago.

"Just sent my entry in for another attempt at the month record. You get 3 free attempts at the UMCA month (30 day) record during a HAMR attempt. I was hoping to run 3 concurrent Month Record attempts to finish on my last day of HAMR, but with being hit by a car, coming off on ice, being sleepy from my injuries and having to sort out endless technical problems, getting an entry in on time was forgotten about or put off until I had time. I had to make time today as I must give at least 21 days notice for a UMCA record attempt and today (12th Jan) is my last chance to get an entry in at all. So a morning and some afternoon lost to sorting stuff out and getting organised.
But my injuries are getting better and I'm feeling stronger. I'm still slowed down by my injuries. Still get tired from them and sometimes have to stop and sleep. This is setting me further behind.
I don't know if I can do what I originally set out to do in 2015. It depends on how soon I recover from my injuries and how much better I can go now that I am treating my condition. I need over 230 miles a day now. With a late start today, I will be lucky to get over 150. I don't expect to do much better tomorrow, so will get even further behind. But I do know that as part of my training, I averaged 236mpd for 30 days before I knew that I had a condition that was holding me back."

« Reply #739 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:01:03 pm »
Interesting... that sounds like the target is (or at least was) the Kurt record (currently requiring 232 miles/day).

If he can equal his previous month record in the final 30 days he still needs to do 224 miles/day for the next 21 days, or 176 miles/day for the Tommy record. He's been riding a fairly steady 180 miles/day (on average) since the crash.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #740 on: 13 January, 2018, 10:55:57 pm »
Interesting... that sounds like the target is (or at least was) the Kurt record (currently requiring 232 miles/day).

If he can equal his previous month record in the final 30 days he still needs to do 224 miles/day for the next 21 days, or 176 miles/day for the Tommy record. He's been riding a fairly steady 180 miles/day (on average) since the crash.
I think that is what you call a stretch target. If anyone can pull it out of the bag Steve can, but it is highly unlikely.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #741 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »
Saw Steve yesterday on the A421 near Finmere, we were on the other carriageway so we couldn't yell encouragement but he was going well.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #742 on: 15 January, 2018, 09:53:48 am »
ATM looks like he is losing a day per week in terms of mileage

« Reply #743 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:07:31 am »
Some time lost this week was partially due to submitting a month record application. Hopefully he's steeling himself for that final push.

« Reply #744 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »
I reckon in the last couple of hours he passed the 65,127 mile record set by Bernard Bennett in 1939, meaning Steve has moved from 5th to 4th in the all time distance record high score table. Chapeau!

Given the Kurt and Amanda records are now realistically out of reach that makes the rest of the ride Steve vs Tommy. 216 miles/day needed with 46 days to go.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #745 on: 18 January, 2018, 08:20:38 am »
Chapeau Steve!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #746 on: 18 January, 2018, 08:43:57 am »
Good luck Steve!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #747 on: 18 January, 2018, 03:39:37 pm »
So, he roughly needs 350 km a day for the next 6-7 weeks.

Very tough... has he done any extended period of time at 350 km a day before? He did 381 km a day in the month record, but that was "only" 4 weeks

« Reply #748 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
Allez Steve! And well done.

« Reply #749 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »
I was thinking of Steve as I was getting blown about and hailed on in about 0.5Km.

The guy is more than astonishing, but that's not news

Go Steve, and stay safe.