Author Topic: gems from the Highway code  (Read 2231 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
gems from the Highway code
« on: 17 March, 2010, 02:54:36 pm »
I noticed this rule today which is part of 167

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
# stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

How often does this annoying behaviour happen to you per day?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: gems from the Highway code
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »
Now the warm weather is coming, and drivers are starting to open their windows, I am considering having a few copies of the HC in my back pocket to post in on drivers who demonstrate ignorance and incompetence.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »
Now the warm weather is coming, and drivers are starting to open their windows, I am considering having a few copies of the HC in my back pocket to post in on drivers who demonstrate ignorance and incompetence.

Make the rule 167 into paper planes and wear them like a gun belt. 
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:31:10 pm »
Ah, quoting the Highway Code to drivers.  The best way to declare yourself a whiney nebbish, bar none.

Drivers believe six impossible things break six rules before breakfast, what makes you think a rules violation will matter to them?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:33:16 pm »
Ah, quoting the Highway Code to drivers.  The best way to declare yourself a whiney nebbish, bar none.

Drivers believe six impossible things break six rules before breakfast, what makes you think a rules violation will matter to them?

If you attach the copy of the Highway Code to a brick, then chuch it through their window (open or closed is irrelevant), they might just take some notice...   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:36:25 pm »
Perhaps if I doused my HCs in petrol, set them alight, then put them through the window, do you think they would take notice?  After all, they seem happy to flick red-hot fag ash at me...
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »
You would think Vorsprung's example is redundant, as it is covered by Section A:

Don't drive like a cock.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:40:01 pm »
I rather feel that is a distillation of the whole work, and understanding of what will now become known throughout the ether as Mattc's Law would solve all our problems.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:46:25 pm »
Perhaps if I doused my HCs in petrol, set them alight, then put them through the window, do you think they would take notice?  After all, they seem happy to flick red-hot fag ash at me...

Clarion, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8n1hKQULa9Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8n1hKQULa9Y&rel=1</a>   ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:51:52 pm »
My HC is very clean and you'll net be getting any germs from it.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »

Just install photocopies of the relevant pages in the hollow points of the rounds in your handlebar mounted machine gun(s).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »
I find the miscreants don't stay ahead long enough to get a bead.  Generally, they get stuck in a queue & I go past  :smug:
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »
It sounds to me like you need a tail end charlie.  That would also be a reason to justify a CTCish yet useful wing mirror on your bike.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
Tailgunner.  Suddenly, stoker is cool.   8)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2010, 12:54:46 pm »

Then you need one of those back to back recumbent tandems; where the pilot has the handlebars, the tailgunner has their gun mount.

It may induce motorists to leave a little more clearance on overtakes.

« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »
I've often fantasized about making up a mock set of tailguns mounted on a rear rack, motorized and connected to a PIR detector so that they motion track, or appear to....

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

Or gay.

spindrift

« Reply #17 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »
Carve "167" into the motorist's forehead like Christopher Waltz.